Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this behavior affected by choosing a different drive profile like chill vs standard vs insane? Maybe there's another setting like this in the FSD/Autopilot menu. My 2022 MSLR does not have FSDb and is waiting for an update from 2024.7.2 and an invite for a free month of FSD (supervised).
If we believe what Tesla says on the in car screen where we can choose the profile, those profiles (chill, average, assertive) only affect the following distance and how often speed related lane changes happen. Not how fast it accelerates or brakes, this matches my experience.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
So I'm trying to figure out why you're feeling so victimized by this. I'm "stuck" on 12.3 too, and I don't give a Stevia. If intermediate rollouts get halted, they've got "feaures" I don't want. I am so happy with finally (thank God) seeing actual progress. I'm sure not hearing anything about 12.3.2.3.1.2.2.1 that excites me. When something finally reaches me, there'll much more likely be something to celebrate than there would've been in the aborted versions.
Not victimized, and really don’t care, haven’t even driven my “FSD” car in like 3 days lmao. Just pointing out that this is another process that Tesla somehow manages to half ass.

Odd Omar is still on 12.3.1

I have not seen any obvious improvements. From 12.3 to 12.3.2.1.
Hope 12.3.3 is more apparent.
For me, proper speed on secondary roads, better lane choices, and a solid first attempt at vision only auto park are what I’ve seen. It’s definitely focusing more on the eyes and head than hands on the wheel now.

To be clear, but blunt, what I'm talking about is when Tesla starts with commercial robotaxi rides (which will happen in waves).

I'm assuming wave 1 happens with an in-car supervising driver but is picking up paying passengers. I'd expect this to happen this year **IF** we continue to see builds every ~2 weeks. Obviously there's more detail there, but happy to continue in the FSD appropriate thread. I add this here to be useful for this particular thread on the weekend.
@Discoducky I (and others) would be grateful, if you feel so obliged, when you have a moment to please further expound on your robotaxi thoughts you began on the Perpetual Investor Forum...

Reactions: FSDtester#1
About 25% of the fleet is on 2024.8.7, so I expect Tesla to release an update for them soon
If you're looking at TeslaFi numbers, most of those on 2024.8.7 are outside of North America. 2024.3.x already has more vehicles on it than US/Canada on 2024.8.x. Yes, Tesla will need to prepare a new version of 12.x that these vehicles can update to, but they're closer to 5% of TeslaFi fleet (which has a US bias). It seems like those who could get 12.x but were already on 2024.8.4 ended up getting 2024.8.7 for the security fix, so Tesla might be preparing a 2024.8.10 for these vehicles.

Tesla does have other vehicles to get 12.x to as well such as new Model 3s and Cybertrucks as well as portrait S/X including those with MCU1. And this is on top of working towards updating Smart Summon and Banish for parking lots as well as preparing for China, Europe, etc. and maybe also other features like skipping camera calibration. And there's probably now a bunch of cleanup to combine the various differences in all these 12.3.x.

Reactions: lzolman
This morning! FSD Free for whole month!

Attachments

• IMG_4572.png
    IMG_4572.png
    548.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4573.png
    IMG_4573.png
    851.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4574.jpeg
    IMG_4574.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 5
Presumably other parts of Autopilot team are working on 12.4 with actual behavior changes but deferring priority to the main directive of getting 12.x to more people, so it seems a bit premature to declare 12.x has likely maxed out with no future improvement
The issue is the time scale. It’s been a month or two since the initial 12.x releases to the public (OG testers)?

With NN training and massive NVDA capability, it was widely stated we’d have rapid improvement of outstanding issues.

But instead nothing has happened over that very long timeframe, and the OG testers claimed it got worse.

So I have to conclude we’re going to be stuck with slow iteration with minimal resolution of issues from release to release.

We may even see things fixed then come back, which is even worse.

We don't even know yet since we haven't seen a single iteration of attempted improvement yet. (And if we have seen an attempted improvement as Elon claims (I generally don't think his claims of what is changing from release to release are reliable, so best to ignore) ...yikes.)

this type of obscured turn will always be difficult for HW3/4. They need a camera in the upper driver side corner of the windshield.

It seems like it was able to see this car just fine.

Hope 12.3.3 is more apparent.

There's going to be no change. Tesla is laser focused on maximizing revenue for Q1. They don't care if there's no revenue left in your vehicle - they'll worry about that next week. So this is some way to enable more Tesla revenue (not sure what exact permutation it is).

They're currently laser focused on rolling out versions which take 40 seconds to park the vehicle in trivial situations, since that brings in the big money.

Maybe one should only expect actual changes when we go to 12.4.x. Perhaps that will be our first datapoint. Maybe with a one-month cadence if we're lucky? Everything else is just nothing.

Last edited:
What is the FSD moat? A fleet of millions able to collect video/map/weather/environment/vehicle dynamic/cabin driver data capable of being turned into ground truth for NN training that is distributed out to the entire fleet via OTA anywhere with a cycle time of less than 2 weeks.
Have we seen 2 week improvement cycle with 12.x so far? It sounds like you're experienced with this type of Elon Musk mandate of getting more customers to experience 12.3.1 from less than a week ago, and it did result in a lot of activity of various 12.3.x released this past week. I would think that sudden reprioritization would in the near term delay 12.x improvements, but presumably with more customers actively using FSD, it should allow for even better data collection going forwards.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Wait, I thought I was the assistant regional manager, not the assistant to the regional manager...
Assistant to the ASSistant regional manager
Even situations where end-to-end does something "safe enough" such as pulling out for an unprotected left or slowly creeping to get better visibility where other vehicles have enough time to respond such as slowing down or biasing away, this could still result in plenty of honking that passengers might notice and realize maybe it wasn't actually that safe. Presumably better hardware can improve on these situations to improve safety overall even if statistically the older hardware was already some multiple safer than humans driving in general.

Or are you suggesting 12.x needs to be significantly safer than humans in every situation and not just overall by mileage?
To take liability I think it needs to be safer in every situation and that anything less will be problematic.

Overall mileage will be an interesting metric but I’ve often thought they would end up breaking it down into more granularity by road type, maneuver, and who knows what else. It won’t work if the system is significantly safer on one road type or certain situations but much less so in specific situations, and overall mileage wouldn’t provide that detail.

Like large complex intersections or intersections with odd geometry, that were mentioned back in 2020. To this day, I’ve seen clips of v12.3 still incorrectly assigning lights to its lane and making the wrong moves because it thinks a red or (more commonly) green light is controlling its lane but it’s actually for an adjacent lane — we saw this in Elon’s demo of v12 as well. Liability wont be taken if the system can handle 100% of straightforward perpendicular intersections with lights all conforming to what the system is trained on but then it incorrectly hits the accelerator in a large complex intersection or intersections where the lights are hung in less ideal locations relative to the lane positions.

It's not a dedicated right turn lane (it merges with into another lane and it's also not a right turn only lane). Admittedly it does seem like there should be a green right turn arrow there.
Good work! How did you locate that intersection?

I was a bit surprised that FSD would know that dedicated lane carve out in Calif law. I don't expect it is allowed in all states.

It looks like you are correct, far easier to see from clear daylight satellite images than the rainy night dash-cam. Being a T intersection, there is no through traffic from the left, but opposite direction, left turn traffic could pose a conflict during a dedicated through and left turn phase of the light.

It is a good thing Tesla hasn't released rob taxi yet, or the yet to be announced rob-cop capability, or else the car could have issued itself a robot-ticket for not stopping. ;-)