Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If that were true, no need for them to develop HW4, new higher resolution cameras and more cameras in blind spots, like the new front one, right?! šŸ¤£
I just donā€™t think the biggest problems are caused by the camera res, since all of the problems Iā€™ve been having has been at low speed in good conditions. Iā€™m also not saying the current cameras are good enough, either. FSD needs a lot of work along multiple dimensions. šŸ˜

Reactions: sleepydoc
I just donā€™t think the biggest problems are caused by the camera res, since all of the problems Iā€™ve been having has been at low speed in good conditions. Iā€™m also not saying the current cameras are good enough, either. FSD needs a lot of work along multiple dimensions. šŸ˜
Itā€™s more than res. Camera placement on HW3 and earlier cars is not ideal, if inadequate. Thereā€™s a reason why Tesla added cameras to the front and tweaked the others with HW4+ cars.

Reactions: primedive
I had FSD 12.3.3 take me for a ride on some high speed rural highways. I quickly found a big problem with the V11 stack. On the two lane state highways I used, None of the 65 mph speed limit signs were recognized by the V11 stack.

I find that FSD switches to V11 stack at 65 mph outside of city limits in rural areas. While this does come with latency issues and you need to be very cautious for cross traffic and lead cars slowing to turn off the highway, prior to V12, FSD would read the speed limit signs and set the speed accordingly. While not perfect, it was pretty good at this.

Now, V12 seems to completely ignore the speed limit signs on these rural highways. It does switch back to V12 when the speed limit drops, as when entering a town, but once it switches to V11, it failed to perceive any speed limit signs. I watched as the car drove past many signs clearly displaying the 65 mph limit, but nothing was shown in the visualization and the speed limit sat at the last V12 read speed limit.

Of course, I was able to roll the speed up to correct this, but, it's curious that the car ignored all these signs. 65 mph was as high as the speed limit got on this test. Perhaps I'll get to try some 70 mph roads soon to see if it's just the 65 mph sign.

On the same drive, once the car entered an interstate, V11 read the signs correctly and set speed accordingly.

The V12 stack, of course, worked like a champ with nothing to do but watch in awe as Tesla makes something so difficult look so easy.

You'd think that you'd only get the option if it was available. According to the Tesla web site, if you subscribe, you can't get a refund. If you buy it, you can request a refund within 48 hours.
So I just talked to Tesla. They said that it's the sensors, rather than being on 2024.8.7 that might delay my FSD free trial. They're currently working on an update to 12.3 that will include non Vision Cars.

He said if I subscribed today, I'd probably get the previous version. (11.9?)

The yellow goes on when the car is already close to the intersection while the car is moving at 45 mph. It's too late to slow down because the car has to make a hard braking and it may be rear-ended by the behind car. The car should continue to go. That's what humans do to. It's not illegal to continue to go.
Yellow light is minimum of 3 seconds and max of 6 seconds. The exact value will depend upon the traffic control engineer who designed that intersection

True, there is nothing on the setting page to adjust, which is what you were talking about.

For general clarity on this point, there is still an actual offset in effect in ASSO mode; when not on the freeway, it is +50% and it can be adjusted invisibly with the scroll wheels. And it will act as a speed cap. When on the freeway, it changes apparently (have not looked myself), depending on chill/moderate/assertive setting (donā€™t know the % values, but since the cap becomes visible it should be easy to figure out).
Had an odd speed related issue coming down to SD today. On v11 stack on the freeway, and set the speed limit to 75MPH in a 65MPH zone. I have 0 offsets in the settings, both for warning and for non ASSO mode. However, when the speed limit dropped to 55 in construction zones, in the past the car would drop the limit to 55. Today it showed 55, but the set speed limit was 58. Where did the extra 3MPH come from, I wonder? Same when it reset to 65MPH, it went to 68MPH.

• Informative
Reactions: VanFriscia and KLam
Had an odd speed related issue coming down to SD today. On v11 stack on the freeway, and set the speed limit to 75MPH in a 65MPH zone. I have 0 offsets in the settings, both for warning and for non ASSO mode. However, when the speed limit dropped to 55 in construction zones, in the past the car would drop the limit to 55. Today it showed 55, but the set speed limit was 58. Where did the extra 3MPH come from, I wonder? Same when it reset to 65MPH, it went to 68MPH.
Most likely kept the speed a bit higher for 'keeping up with traffic flow'.

So I just talked to Tesla. They said that it's the sensors, rather than being on 2024.8.7 that might delay my FSD free trial. They're currently working on an update to 12.3 that will include non Vision Cars.
What is a non-vision car? All Teslas have full camera coverage.

My opinion of Tesla customer representatives is pretty low. They seem to make stuff up quite a bit.

He said if I subscribed today, I'd probably get the previous version. (11.9?)
The V11 is V11.4.9, but I'd be surprised if Tesla included that in your firmware. I can't imagine a reason for doing so. Please let us know of your experience if you subscribe.

• Informative
Reactions: primedive
I sincerely apologize to everyone for what I said about speed limit offset warning earlier. I verified what you said with my car and you are correct.

However there is some thing I still don't understand. If the speed warning offset is selected to use Absolute value then it can be set with the range 20-140 mph. What is the use for that? The car cannot go higher than 85 mph with auto pilot.

However there is some thing I still don't understand. If the speed warning offset is selected to use Absolute value then it can be set with the range 20-140 mph. What is the use for that? The car cannot go higher than 85 mph with auto pilot.
Because it has no relation to Autopilot. It is solely to warn the person sitting in the driver's seat that they are travelling faster than they want to. (Maybe they shouldn't have the setting on the Autopilot page, but where else would be more appropriate?)

Camera for stopping at intersection monitoring was banned in California long time ago.

Now they use cameras to enforce speed limit in some areas.

north east, we still have those evil cameras
i have personally paid approx 8 times, family of five šŸ‘¹

12.3.3ā€”enjoying this version more than any other. Five key flaws to correct though:
1) drives to the far left of a lane unless following another vehicle.
2) Roundabouts-superb but stops in a crosswalk blocking Pedestrians if there is a queue
3) doesnā€™t adjust speed quickly enough
4) ignored flashing yellow school
Zone speed limit of 15mph and instead wanted to continue at 45 mph.
5) still doesnā€™t recognize my community gates.

Nice to see it draw inputted lines again thus staying to the right in our communityā€™s unmarked two lane road.