Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know it ultimately needs to be much more complex than that, and it’s not a trivial problem, but giving free trials to all Tesla drivers when the car will frequently go 40%+ over the known speed limit is not a good look… such things trigger the attention of our good friends at NHTSA. Or if you watch Munro’s videos, “nichschta”.
I'm curious about this. I would have thought this as well, but it's been pointed out that NHTSA has never interfered with speed limits. It's why every car can set their cruise control to speeds well over the speed limit. If NHTSA dinged Tesla, they'd have to ding everyone for allowing it.

Mine honks then blares out, "Stay in your own damn lane you filthy animal!"
Other FSD modes to consider:

-Stalking mode - pick the car from touch screen to follow behind
-Hypermiler mode - easy on the acceleration and only regen brake if possible, keep under 60mph at all times for max wh/mi (especially useful on low battery)
-Race mode - pick the car to race against, make revving sound, enter launch mode automatically, accelerate the moment the other car takes off
-Kidnapper evade mode - get as far away and get out of viewing sight of danger as quickly as possible (also works well w/ evading cops)
-Rollercoaster mode - self explanatory

Anything else I missed?

-Hypermiler mode - easy on the acceleration and only regen brake if possible, keep under 60mph at all times for max wh/mi (especially useful on low battery)
-Race mode - pick the car to race against, make revving sound, enter launch mode automatically, accelerate the moment the other car takes off
-Kidnapper evade mode - get as far away and get out of viewing sight of danger as quickly as possible (also works well w/ evading cops)

Anything else I missed?
Yes, I'd prefer a default drive like observant human mode. :)

Anything else I missed?
Russian Roulette mode: Turns off the nags.

I'm curious about this. I would have thought this as well, but it's been pointed out that NHTSA has never interfered with speed limits. It's why every car can set their cruise control to speeds well over the speed limit. If NHTSA dinged Tesla, they'd have to ding everyone for allowing it.
Big difference: the car is deciding to drive over the limit, not the driver. And drivers not into following the technology may have no idea why it's doing it, or how to stop it.

Reactions: SidetrackedSue

Anything else I missed?
I asked @elon for these two a few years back, Hypermiler just as a drive mode.. haven’t heard back. ;-0

Anything else I missed?
Mother in-law evade mode. If car senses impending entry, move up a couple of inches just before hands on door handle. 🤪

The last line is unclear as to whether "this limit" refers to a speed offset I set
Number that is visible or hidden, next to speed limit sign in the left hand pane.
Does the "chosen offset" refer to the percentage setting
Chosen setting for manual speed offset in Autopilot menu. Which translates to number that is visible in the left hand pane next to speed limit sign.

I did my FSD test route last night. FSD Test Route

It performed similary to other versions but this time it confidently pulled straight into oncoming traffic, twice.

Once was while it was passing a stopped car on a residential street and the other was during a left turn across a lighted intersection with three lanes in each direction. FSD assumed that because two of the oncoming lanes had stopped that the third and farthest lane would also be clear. It was not and I had the pleasure of a clear view of the shocked face of a Volvo XC60 driver who was legally proceeding in his lane through the intersection. He had a gesture for me as well.

On to 12.4.

Based on your spreadsheet of interventions and disengagements, there's been no real improvement. Is that your interpretation?

I’m not sure how to describe it but v12 now fails differently than v11

Version 11 would have never tried to make the turn yesterday where it pulled across three lanes when it couldn’t see one of them. The disengagement would have been because v11 would have frozen in the middle of the intersection blocking traffic because it couldn’t see the farthest lane. I would have disengaged and manually driven through the intersection after the light turned red.

Version 12 doesn’t nervously shake the wheel back and forth or turn the signals on and off for no reason and so it feels like it knows what it’s doing. The failure at that intersection yesterday resulted in a disengagement but for a very different reason than in the past.

Does that make sense? It feels better but fails at a similar rate for very different reasons.

I’m not sure how to describe it but v12 now fails differently than v11

Version 11 would have never tried to make the turn yesterday where it pulled across three lanes when it couldn’t see one of them. The disengagement would have been because v11 would have frozen in the middle of the intersection blocking traffic because it couldn’t see the farthest lane. I would have disengaged and manually driven through the intersection after the light turned red.

Version 12 doesn’t nervously shake the wheel back and forth or turn the signals on and off for no reason and so it feels like it knows what it’s doing. The failure at that intersection yesterday resulted in a disengagement but for a very different reason than in the past.

Does that make sense? It feels better but fails at a similar rate for very different reasons.

I think of V12 failing like ChatGPT: Confidently and convincingly.

In a couple of scenarios, if I was unfamiliar with my local roads, I would probably not disengage V12 because it does things so smoothly and confidently. But because I'm familiar with how the lanes are supposed to work (despite bad painting), I know it's making a mistake.