Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
no one does #13
Well actually almost everyone has had them some 13 software in their pocket. 🤣

Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 7.39.37 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 7.41.42 AM.png

"The number 13 is considered an unlucky number in some countries. The end of the Mayan calendar's 13th Baktun was superstitiously feared as a harbinger of the apocalyptic 2012 phenomenon. Fear of the number 13 has a specifically recognized phobia, triskaidekaphobia, a word first recorded in 1911."

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
... to others the only thing they have to compare it to is 100% human driving and FSD doesn’t live up to that standard yet... I’m concerned that FSD will get an undeserved negative reputation.
Completely agreed. I can't help but feel v12 is being rushed to the public prematurely and speculate why. I think tesla is growing a reputation problem atm. They are losing their prestige as a tech company to the normal consumer as they paradoxically overfocus on their cutting edge tech feature. Marques Brownlee sold his teslas. Even though I consider him more of a consumer bro, he presents himself as the most successful tech bro on YouTube, and he sold his cutting edge tech cars while saying the competition has pretty much caught up. Doug Demuro aka irl Bart Simpson says that tesla tech is nothing special in a recent video. Something close to 'Sure the ui is a bit better than the competition but who cares about ui.' I don't consider either of these people particularly knowledgeable outside of the YouTube algorithm, but I think they represent the opinions of the unwashed masses. Tesla needs to stop solely focusing on chasing the fsd dream and improve all other parts of their cars. Insert quality control and auto wiper jokes. Rushing v12 to public is not going to impress their low information, average customer. In fact it may do the opposite because they aren't used to the ups and downs of software development and consuming hours of videos to figure out the appropriate operational domain for something labeled as 'full' self driving.

I don’t see alternate routes
When you first put in your destination and while it is still showing the roads/turns list it will show the 2 alternate routes in gray. However you must act fast because it times out as soon as the roads/turns list contracts and the map zooms out. Tesla does need to add more time.

EDIT: here is an image.

Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 8.26.57 AM.png

When you first put in your destination and while it is still showing the roads list it will show the 2 alternate routes in gray. However you must act fast because it times out as soon as the roads list contracts and the map zooms out. Tesla does need to add more time.
It should show the alternate routes while your actively using it then you can just touch the alternate route on the screen

Should also be able to choose a route as your default

Stopped for rabbits on my street for me today. I think @sleepydoc harbors animus to the Lagomorph order.

Admittedly they were right there in broad daylight in the road scampering about in an obvious fashion. Less challenging than the famous inaugural opossum.
I’m just glad that Elon has eliminated the need to carry the Holy Hand Grenade to protect oneself from vicious rabbits!

I swear I have seen this work before but tonight I tried it in a few places and even though I dialed the offset down to 0mph it did nothing. I have seen others claim this too.

Anyway, fact check: FALSE (sometimes at least)

Anyway a side issue since it was totally impractical anyway. Use manual mode. It’s just like ASSO but better. Which is not to say good.

Freeways the adjustment probably works in ASSO mode.
I think we need to admit that no one understands how ASSO works and it’s likely a random AI-generated speed target that happens to coincide with what we do often enough to make us think we’ve done something. In reality it’s just the FSD engineers watching cabin cam videos and laughing hysterically.

It should show the alternate routes while your actively using it then you can just touch the alternate route on the screen

Should also be able to choose a route as your default
Tap the map orientation button until get the route overview icon. If you have premium connectivity it will show up to 3 alternative routes.

Attachments

• GUID-00146067-F47D-433B-BB18-9DA2489BB4C7-online-en-US.png
    GUID-00146067-F47D-433B-BB18-9DA2489BB4C7-online-en-US.png
    51.1 KB · Views: 7
I think a key motivation for the free trial isn't widely appreciated:
I don't buy the 'collecting more data" narrative. It makes more sense to me that the the trial and removal of the beta designation were, as has been mentioned, timed for the purpose of FSD revenue recognition. I guess we'll find out at the forthcoming ER...

2018 Model 3, dual motor, HW3, 181K miles, 2024.3.10

After experiencing really good drives the other day and seeing some interesting behaviors, yesterday changed it the other way. Had Three dangerous situations with it during the rainstorms here in PA.

1) Coming down a hill with a right curve, 25mph road, cars do between 30-35, lead car slowed and stopped to make a left turn. Tesla continued on not slowing enough, probably did account for weight of the car with the slope, it then tried to cut the wheel to go around on the right, but not enough room was available and it gave up. I slammed on the brakes and stopped between 8”-12” from the cars bumper. I was surprised no alarms or car safety interventions kicked in. Hmmm.

2) Sitting at a Red traffic light in a left turn only exit coming out of a shopping center onto a highway a dump truck went by on the highway, car decided it didn’t want to wait for the light to change and tried to enter the highway. Woaa!

3) Same situation as the other day where service vehicle is stopped in front of us with flashers on. Cars parked on both sides. Lead car has clear lane and moves into oncoming traffic lane and proceeds on, 2 cars are now coming in opposing lane, tesla puts blinker on and proceeds to go instead of waiting like it did the other day.

I’ll chalk these three up to the rain, steepness of hill, and curve from first one and rain for the others. So please be safe out there, it is way better than before, but errors are still there and not consistent.

Still needs work on braking, speed control, red lights, right hand turns, to far right and going off the road. Wipers, thought they were fixed but not so. Wiped when tiny amount of mist or non at all, but didn’t wipe when the window is covered from the rain. What the…

Oh and Please Tesla give us the ability to shutoff the freaking Full Self Drive may be degraded. All day long with the rain it kept popping up and doing the Beep Beep Beep thing, so freaking annoying, especially when it keeps occurring every minute or so. Just put the message up or let us turn it off.

Off to the service center to get the rear felt splash guard replaced, all the rain and puddles tore it open and had it dragging all afternoon. Make it out of fiberglass like you did the front and thank you for doing that, no more trips to the service center getting that replaced every year.

Tap the map orientation button until get the route overview icon. If you have premium connectivity it will show up to 3 alternative routes.
You can also just touch the navigation box so that it expands the list of directions. Alternate routes pop up and can be selected. Touch the box again to collapse and they go away. Makes total sense to me.

Oh and Please Tesla give us the ability to shutoff the freaking Full Self Drive may be degraded. All day long with the rain it kept popping up and doing the Beep Beep Beep thing, so freaking annoying, especially when it keeps occurring every minute or so. Just put the message up or let us turn it off.
So on my '22 coast-to-coast road trip, before they finally fixed a short in the SRS wiring after like 6 visits to the SC, I got the beep-beep-beep with an SRS airbab warning light every time I hit a (small) bump. This went on from New Mexico to CA, OR and back to Boston.

Not just when there was a little bit of rain lol.

I'm just mystified that they released FSD in this state:
1) Doesn't even attempt go the speed desired by the user.
2) Won't respond in a normal way to red traffic lights.
3) Frequently can't handle stop signs in a remotely normal way.
4) Cuts it super close to curbs on many turns.
5) Simply stops in lanes of traffic in the middle of a maneuver.

2, 3, and 4 are just issues for your personal driving preference. (1 could possibly even be classified as such.)

It’s odd - I know there’s a lot of variability between cars and locations but at times it seems like I have a totally different version of software than some people here.
I feel the same way and did back in the phantom-braking days. I rarely experienced it, while others "All the time!!"

Other contributions:

1. People are different.
2. Local roads are different.

Does anybody think the quality of FSD varies by location?

Yes, but I suspect that with exactly the same road configuration in, say, Texas vs California, the quality would be the same. Roads are very different in different states or different places in a state.

As an example, I get anxiety watching this guy drive in Kentucky(?) where there are no shoulders, apparently.

Reactions: sleepydoc
This is a relatively minor quibble with lane selection but in my drives FSD seems to be relatively poor at switching lanes when it will be quicker.

Example 1 - coming up on a light with 2 left turn lanes. One has 3 cars, the other has 8-9 cars. It picked the longer line even though it didn’t matter which one it used.

2nd example is on a 4 lane, 35 MPH road. Long row of cars behind a bus in the right lane. Left lane totally clear. For some reason FSD want to stay in the right lane.

To be clear, there was absolutely nothing unsafe about the driving, it’s just a speed/preference issue.