Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Google does have stop signs and signals, but they're only visible while actually navigating.
I just let google maps navigate using iPhone, and the stop signs in question were not displayed. At the same time, Tesla's nav map showed the stop signs on the same route.

My understand, from posts here on TMC is that Tesla combines data from at least two map sources for their navigation. Rout planning, if I remember, is done by yet a third source.

When did Elon Musk say that FSD would be free?
He said that autonomous safety features would be free. Convenience features have to be paid for.

If safety became dramatically higher with FSD, as proven by billions of miles of safety data, then it would be a safety feature and would be included.

This is fairly standard industry practice.

IMG_0718.jpeg

IMG_0719.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Hiline
The next biggest safety issue FSD really needs to tackle is potholes. When you are supervising the car, it can be difficult to notice them soon enough and avoid them without making a sudden evasive maneuver. Quite frankly it's also inconvenient and unsatisfying to constantly disengage then re-engage to swerve around them. Hugging the edge of the road unnecessarily and falling into drainage ditches is also a huge problem. I'm not sure it's worth taking damage to the car to use FSD at this point. They recently solved speed bumps so I'm hopeful they can sort out potholes and other road hazards soon. I think it should basically just treat them as generic obstacles which it needs to avoid.
I think this is very difficult to solve unless the car somehow develops a memory OR our reports actually go and update a DB somewhere.

Sometimes it's not a super-obvious pothole, but a big dip in the road or crappy road engineering that you can't see from further away, or a sunken sewer plate. The second time you travel that way, you'll try to avoid it, but FSD doesn't "learn" in this way unless Tesla does the update in the nav DB somehow.

Still, tire-busting potholes would seem to be low-hanging fruit so hopefully they can sort that out. The other thing they could do is not lock down the steering wheel so much so you can manoeuvre around obstacles like that without disengaging.

My sweet summer child.... if AVs were to rely on crowd sourced reported map corrections the results would be unreliable. There's a reason why wikipedia is mocked as a source, it can be excellent and it can vandalized.

Crowd-sourcing to train FSD is questionable in my mind (I note TMCers who think driving over 100mph could be important for 'safety' and routinely driving at 90mph is a god given and responsible right/action in the US) but at least it isn't as if tesla drivers made a point of driving badly in order to sabotage the NN training. If we ask AVs to rely more on mapping data that is crowd sourced, that crowd sourcing needs to be from disengagement triggered recorded driver reporting, with either AI or a human confirming the car's video aligns with the disengagement report from the driver and tesla making the report to the mapping software company.

I agree, reporting to Google Maps can work. In my neighbourhood, once realizing Google Maps routed beach traffic onto my no-exit street and through our apartment building's surface parking lot, our local traffic committee put in a successful concerted effort of reporting from committee members, and me asking the landlord, as property owner, to report the error to Google. Signs by the city and landlord were ignored but the volume of traffic on summer weekends on the no-exit part of the street has dropped considerably now that the route remains on city streets. I'm willing to bet, though, a concerted effort by bad-actors would reroute things back again.
Sue,

Google maps are not crowd sourced. For example, they use commercial satellite data for their Sat views, and drive their own vehicles around to capture their street views. One would expect those cars also ground-truth their base maps as well. Much of the base maps is from publicly available sources, though I don't know the details of all of Google's map sources. Input from users mostly relates to businesses and landmarks, though they do accept and manually curate corrections, such as road closures and other map errors.

Google is not comparable to Wikipedia. Google is a very profitable company, based largely on advertising revenue. They source and own their own map data. Wikipedia, in contrast, is a non-profit, and all the content is sourced from volunteers. But even the Wiki is not completely mob ruled: Scientology, for example was banned from contributing after their content edits were found to be un reliable and propagandistic. In addition, volunteer editors generally police others' contributions, and insist that content be based on sources published elsewhere and explicitly referenced in the Wiki articles.

My understanding is that OpenStreetMap.org does have a large crowd-sourced input, but that Tesla does not use OSM in it's navigation maps. For example, a couple corrections I have posted to OSM did not propagate into Tesla's nav.

Fleet-sourcing map data from Tesla cars does seem like a good idea. For example, those two removed but still mapped stop signs I mentioned before caused FSD v11 to come to a stop in spite of the stop signs having been removed months earlier. V12.x on the other hand, slows but does not stop. This counts as a real improvement in V12 in my book, using the map to look ahead, but making decisions based on what is really there.

This also means that V12 could itself report the discrepancy between the map data and the reality. Perhaps this back-propagation should be human curated rather than leaving it to bot-crowd-sourcing, a sort of machine-network learning. (I am concerned that AI LLMs trained on the interweb are now publishing to the web, and next years AI will be trained, in part, on the BS generated by last year's AI's. Not a happy feedback loop, given the lies and hallucinations the AI's are know for.)

P.S. Summer is coming.

Reactions: DrGriz and JHCCAZ
He said that autonomous safety features would be free. Convenience features have to be paid for.

If safety became dramatically higher with FSD, as proven by billions of miles of safety data, then it would be a safety feature and would be included.

This is fairly standard industry practice.

View attachment 1038109
View attachment 1038111
He also said FSD would increase in price as it got closer.

It's just Elon.

Remember last year when he said he could sell cars for nothing and make money on SaaS revenue too?

I dont think anyone should interpret that to be FSD will be free nor will it increase the cars value by 100k.

It's just Elon.

Remember last year when he said he could sell cars for nothing and make money on SaaS revenue too?

I dont think anyone should interpret that to be FSD will be free nor will it increase the cars value by 100k.
.....but when does my car start appreciating like Elon said so I can sell it for more than I paid for it?

My Friend: Do you invest in stocks and bonds?
Me: No I'm buying Teslas to hold in my financial portfolio since they have a higher rate of return on my investment than any other investment.

Today coming up to a HAWK and in right lane with a truck in the left lane. It was activated and Yellow and my car started slowing like it should. However when the double Red came on it stoped slowing down like it was going through it. I didn't look at screen but suspect the 2 Reds close to each other either looked like a Flasher or a RR crossing but not a Red Light. The pedestrian was hidden base of ornamental tress and then the truck on my left. So it appears it doesn't recognize a HAWK yet.

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Today coming up to a HAWK and in right lane with a truck in the left lane. It was activated and Yellow and my car started slowing like it should. However when the double Red came on it stoped slowing down like it was going through it. I didn't look at screen but suspect the 2 Reds close to each other either looked like a Flasher or a RR crossing but not a Red Light. The pedestrian was hidden base of ornamental tress and then the truck on my left. So it appears it doesn't recognize a HAWK yet.
Good to know, never been a fan of Atlanta's Basketball 🏀 team.
Guess FSD isn't either, and is programmed to mow them down.

• Funny
Reactions: JulienW
I think this is very difficult to solve unless the car somehow develops a memory OR our reports actually go and update a DB somewhere.

Sometimes it's not a super-obvious pothole, but a big dip in the road or crappy road engineering that you can't see from further away, or a sunken sewer plate. The second time you travel that way, you'll try to avoid it, but FSD doesn't "learn" in this way unless Tesla does the update in the nav DB somehow.

Still, tire-busting potholes would seem to be low-hanging fruit so hopefully they can sort that out. The other thing they could do is not lock down the steering wheel so much so you can manoeuvre around obstacles like that without disengaging.
Forget using the car's memory. Potholes come and go frequently with daily patching where I live. If I can avoid potholes then FSD should be able as well. The cameras are higher than my eyes which gives the camera an angle advantage. If FSD cannot solve potholes then there will be some section of roads in cold climates come the spring when FSD cannot be used. Sometimes that means crossing the center line to avoid potholes. That won't be acceptable to Elon. I have several road sections today that I simply disable FSD for a short stretch because of dangerous potholes. Cameras see better than I do, so hoping it's doable. Better be.

It's just Elon.

Yes. It just makes sense it will get cheaper over time.