Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 1039519

Very cool behavior by 12.3.4 tonight. I was making a left at this T. The car came to a complete stop and then inched forward for visibility. A car approached from the right and indicated it was going to turn LEFT onto the road I was on. At this intersection a lot of the people who have the right of way will actually yield to a car in my position because even human drivers have to pull way far into the lane to see past those trees on the left. Anyways the other driver definitely yielded to my car and FSD didn't even hesitate to make the left super smoothly and quickly. I feel like v11 at this intersection would never have ever understood the other car slowing down to allow us to go even though they have the right of way. This was cool to see. 0 interventions from wawa parking spot to home.
Thinking back, do you think it's possible that your car simply noticed that given the speed of the other driver, it had time to make the turn, so it pulled out. IOW, maybe it had nothing to do with the other driver yielding.

FSD overrules Nav guidance when it wants to, and that's the way it has to be. But I don't know that FSD sees a difference between the Nav turning on a signal or a driver.
That may be true but as long as this is FSD SUPERVISED it is important for FSD to accept input from the SUPERVISOR and not overrule it. That is the arrogance of elon seeping into the product ("all user input is error") and in this case when we override FSD errors, FSD responds back to us as if saying "la la la la, I'm not listening to you, la la la."

The same is true for speed changes where the system overrides what speed you want or need (in the case of the system insisting on the wrong speed limit.)

According to the Autopilot configuration screen shown below, the Full Self-Driving (Supervised) profile only affects following distance.
View attachment 1039607
It does if you use the Automatic Set Speed Offset ... "Automatic Set Speed Offset allows Autopilot to drive at the speed that it determines is most natural. This considers factors like road type, traffic flow, environmental conditions, speed limit and the selected Full Self-Driving (Supervised) Profile setting (Chill, Average, or Assertive)."

After less than a week on 12.3.4, I desperately want to roll back to 11.x. So far:
  • CA-17 lane centering is way worse than before (or at least feels worse to me), and honestly, worse than pre-FSDb releases were.
  • There's no way to engage TACC anymore (without parking the car and turning off FSDb), so when you try to correct its bad steering, your car suddenly slows down at a rate that is potentially dangerous.
  • There's no way to engage TACC anymore (without parking the car and turning off FSDb), so the only alternative is full manual driving with no cruise control, which is just plain miserable.
  • Thus far, every time my car has needed to cross a bike lane to enter a right turn lane, it has failed to do so, requiring manual intervention. That's at least two different bike lanes with two different designs. Both were handled just fine in 11.x every time, and both are failing reliably in 12.3.4.
  • Yesterday on an exit ramp onto a city street, a car slowed down in front of me, and the car went full "Automatic Emergency Braking" on me and then forced me to take over. It braked so hard that it physically hurt me.
Maybe some aspects of driving have improved, but I haven't really seen any obvious improvements. The only thing I've seen are regressions, and the regressions are so severe that Tesla should seriously halt the rollout. This isn't even remotely good enough for a wide rollout.
I hear you. There's a long list of improvements needed some of which are downright dangerous. Unfortunately v12 behaves much the same as v11 with a clunky non-human feel of poorly refined/designed heuristics and simulated data. Apparently the team likes to maintain unrefined features so they can later claim neural net implementations are the only way to make it more human like. In any event the improvements have been glacial.

I was thinking about v12 improvements. Maybe acknowledging/responding to road humps, somewhat smoother steering, no more turn right to turn left, occasional improved cross traffic object kinematic estimation, driving narrow roads, rudimentary u-turns, and not overreacting to pedestrians on sidewalks. As in the past, some of these improvements may be at the expense of throwing caution to the wind.

Reactions: beachmiles
How about some 12.4.x speculation. So what will 12.4.x bring?

1. Will just improve upon City Streets
  2. Will add some ASS, Banish and parking lots
  3. Will add a highway stack
  4. or something else

Unfortunately probably not much but I'd like to see them start tackling the growing issue list:
- chill/aggressive mode select tied to accel/decel,
- eliminate tailgating,
- fix erratic speed/auto max,
- fix early turn signal,
- eliminate dry wipe,
- detect and appropriately slow for roadway dips,
- fix lane wandering,
- increase distance margin between wheels and roadway edge/curbs.
- human-like stop sign behavior,
- improved lane selection

Unfortunately probably not much but I'd like to see them start tackling the growing issue list:
- eliminate tailgating,
- fix early turn signal,
- eliminate dry wipe,
- fix lane wandering,
I don't think FSD follows close enough. I think that will always be an issue due to driver preferences.

The biggest issue I still have is randomly entering the turn lane and reading minimum signs as the speed limit (made 100x worse with V12, even though it's not V12 on the interstate).

I don't think FSD follows close enough. I think that will always be an issue due to driver preferences.
While I agree that following distance can be excessive at times, I largely think it is OK. However, there are times when it really does tailgate way too closely. In some cases, it is a result of how it handles a zipper merge, where it moves over right on the ass of the car in the other lane and takes its sweet time backing off. Fixing that should certainly be higher on the priority list than reducing the following distance.

Just like there are times when it signals at the appropriate point, but currently it usually signals way too early.

While I agree that following distance can be excessive at times, I largely think it is OK. However, there are times when it really does tailgate way too closely. In some cases, it is a result of how it handles a zipper merge, where it moves over right on the ass of the car in the other lane and takes its sweet time backing off. Fixing that should certainly be higher on the priority list than reducing the following distance.
I agree due to safety.

- eliminate tailgating,
- fix early turn signal,
- eliminate dry wipe,
- fix lane wandering,
Make Minimal Lane Changes setting in the menu the persistent default, not reset defat to no for each drive.

Make Minimal Lane Changes setting in the menu the persistent default, not reset defat to no for each drive.
I agree that for the mainstream release that you should be able to set it to default on. But for the early tester release it shouldn't, otherwise they might not get enough testing/feedback on how it performs.

But that would mean that they need to give the people currently classified as "early testers" a way to opt out and get put into the mainstream release path.

I agree that for the mainstream release that you should be able to set it to default on. But for the early tester release it shouldn't, otherwise they might not get enough testing/feedback on how it performs.

But that would mean that they need to give the people currently classified as "early testers" a way to opt out and get put into the mainstream release path.
Is that even a thing anymore? Feels like no matter your status, early adopter, beta tester, purchase, subscription, free trial etc…. We all get the same supervised junk version

Is that even a thing anymore? Feels like no matter your status, early adopter, beta tester, purchase, subscription, free trial etc…. We all get the same supervised junk version
Tell that to the people on 2024.8.x that are still suffering with FSDb 11.4.9. ;)

But I guess we will see when the next version of FSDS comes out. Will early testers be stuck on 2024.3.x while the mainstream path moves to 2024.14.x with the "Spring Update"?

Was in Roseville today. V12.3.4 handled this intersection just as badly as V11. It has a super long turn lane. Both V11 and v12 never tries to enter it.

Green line is where the car should be. Red line is where it tries to go
View attachment 1039552

Similar here, much smaller town, shorter turn lane

1713462528534.png

1713462545608.png

correct behavior for the left turn is to stay left of the gore, but as it approaches the FSD waffles between going left of it or right of it with a lunge to the right at the point so I disengage to get in the left turn lane before it's so late I'll have to cross the solid white lines.

really hoping 12.4 comes before May 6th and fixes a bunch of stuff or I'll drop out of the testing (unless they decide to give me another free month).

Last edited:
Tell that to the people on 2024.8.x that are still suffering with FSDb 11.4.9. ;)

But I guess we will see when the next version of FSDS comes out. Will early testers be stuck on 2024.3.x while the mainstream path moves to 2024.14.x with the "Spring Update"?
I wonder why it’s so hard for Tesla to just post updates on what they’re doing and why they’re doing it. How are random speculations better?

Agreed, but it varies of course. We should be able to tune in how closely we'd like to follow more precisely to an appropriate distance for conditions based on the drivers judgment.
That was an option, but as FSD progresses we will get less and less control. At some point, the Auto Max likely will be the only speed setting.