Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About FSD v 12.4.X, I wonder if the end to end neural net system takes longer to update than the old hand coded system. I am not up on AI tech, but as I understand it, raining a NN is a hugely compute intensive and data intensive task. Even on a Warp Speed Super Dojo it takes a long, long time. I expect that any change to the structure of the NN requires re-training from scratch. So the rapid iterations we saw with V11 and earlier my be a thing of the past.

Any of the AI gurus here, please set me straight.

Reactions: APotatoGod
One other gripe about 2024.14.9. The Energy Bar. No, not the Cliff Bar type, the power indicator which was changed from horizontal to vertical. That change is OK by me, but it is so thin that it is very hard to see. Especially for us with presbyopia, aka everyone over about 50 years of age.

I know it is not that vital, but it ought to be a couple pixels wider.

Chuck has a full Unprotected Left on 12.4.1 video in the pipeline. While we wait, he's posted a clip of one good turn. Based on what he says it sounds like a prior turn wasn't as confident (although he may be talking about 12.3.6):

Edit: and a second highlight where Chuck says it's an improvement in latency and decision-making over 12.3.6:

Good. Chuck Cook's neighboors can go back to peaceful life now. :)

Chuck has a full Unprotected Left on 12.4.1 video in the pipeline. While we wait, he's posted a clip of one good turn. Based on what he says it sounds like a prior turn wasn't as confident (although he may be talking about 12.3.6):

Edit: and a second highlight where Chuck says it's an improvement in latency and decision-making over 12.3.6:

Chuck was content with the first unprotected left but the car in the fast lane needed to slow so maybe it wasn't as good as he thought.

Was just driving a bit and I noticed the same thing. At a stop with the blinker on, FSD engaged. The camera moved to another position after a few seconds, seemingly in response to the car starting to make the turn.
So I identified at least one case. It slides down to make room for the pay attention warning at the top of the screen. So if you actually look at the camera view to see if the lane change is OK, it moves it on you to tell you to pay attention. 🤣

• Funny
Reactions: cyborgLIS
Still it is Sunday and Chuck needs to do his "test" on a workday in the morning to make it "official". 🤔 ;) No way will Alan except a Sunday drive as proof. 🤣

Enough traffic to be interesting. It's unfortunate it was unable to hit the mark regardless. I remain undefeated. (8/9)

I would argue that #3 was also a failure - the oncoming driver shifted position in their lane to be sure they would clear the back of Chuck's car. (This is a clear failure per the reasonable and permissive rules.)

Agreed as @kabin says that #6 was also a failure - clearly the minivan slowed down and was not going that much slower than traffic in the middle lane prior to encountering Model Y ASS.

It looks to me like it is working better than 12.3.x - the main improvement is that it is not stopping in the middle of the near traffic lanes for traffic coming from the right. Those following this closely will recall that was a key critical flaw of 12.3.x.

There's still the issue of stopping miles behind the stop line. Bizarre that that is not fixed, but we saw it in the testing as well, so not a surprise that 12.4.x is also so afflicted.

but it looked like it would have been fine, and even at the end he questioned if that disengagement was appropriate or not.
This would not have been fine - it would have required the oncoming vehicle to take action to allow extra clearance. It takes four complete seconds for the Tesla to clear traffic lanes when there is traffic from the right (from commit to clear). You can see the commit from the torque as Chuck said.
The commit at 2:53
Clear of the traffic lanes at 2:57

The oncoming vehicle was four seconds away when the commit occurred.
The commit at 4:07 (plus a few frames)
Vehicle arrives at 4:11

Definitely a completely legit and advisable disengagement. I have no issues with it.

Interesting that in at least one case Chuck said that there wasn't enough room,
Definitely Chuck is attuned to the extremely slow crossing speed of prior iterations. There is often plenty of time here!

Still, I would say there is hope for 12.5.x, or possibly (likely if traffic is light?) even a random iteration of 12.4.x using exactly the same training, through luck.

I have serious doubts about the ability of it to be successful in more challenging traffic - and we did not get to see it deal with a left-turning vehicle here to check how cognizant it is of what other vehicle plans are.

Not sure whether Chuck will give it another shot or not. Probably not - I would suspect another iteration of software before he bothers with it.

Tesla is really quite close (to the first 9).
- Need to fix the stop sign problems. Why stopping so far back? This is not legal, as has been established. People have received tickets for this.
- Need to be a lot faster after the commit. Can roll it in gradually to allow driver time to intervene on poor commits. Use the available power!
- I think they should just wait for traffic to clear in both directions most of the time; would allow for faster crossing speed and would translate better to situations without a median (median makes it easier!). Problematic in very heavy traffic but for this situation it should have just been rolling most of the time. Personal preference here.

We await the first 9. Then the remaining 9s will fall like dominoes.

Last edited:
Chuck's unprotected lefts looked better aside from v12.4.1 throwing some caution to the wind to make it happen and it looks like the aft right hangs out a bit while waiting in the median at least for my taste. And stopping in the median looked awful close to oncoming traffic for at least one case.

Chuck's unprotected lefts looked better aside from v12.4.1 throwing some caution to the wind to make it happen and it looks like the aft right hangs out a bit while waiting in the median at least for my taste. And stopping in the median looked awful close to oncoming traffic for at least one case.
I think it was a lot more cautious than v12.3.x! In 12.3.x it would stop in the middle of traffic lanes with oncoming traffic, assuming that the traffic would stop. In 12.4.1 it appears to want to clear the traffic lanes.

I'd have to review the details on the gap tolerance of v12.3.x (perhaps it was very conservative - here's an example showing an aggressive commit from 12.3.x), but really allowing 4-5 seconds of space as 12.4.1 does is ample. Just have to cross quickly (this was a problem with 12.3.x). It's not really throwing caution to the wind if executed and committed properly. You have to cross the road somehow.

I agree it needs to clear the aft part of the vehicle from traffic lanes with greater alacrity.

Basically just a quick review of 12.3.x showed major issues:
1) Insufficient crossing speed.
2) Stopping in near traffic lanes due to traffic from the right.
3) Bad pose in the median (sticking out too far in the front sometimes, slow to clear the rear from traffic lanes).
4) Aggressive pre-rolling?

Last edited:
From day one of FSD testing, I always feel that Tesla implemented all the intersection turns with too big of a turn radius!! This has created all the subsequent problems of:

1) curbing of the wheels on right and left turns,
2) not enough room for the UPL median stops,
3) feel unsafe entering a left turn too early. i.e. crossing on coming traffic too early.

I think it was a lot more cautious than v12.3.x! In 12.3.x it would stop in the middle of traffic lanes with oncoming traffic, assuming that the traffic would stop. In 12.4.1 it appears to want to clear the traffic lanes.

I'd have to review the details on the gap tolerance of v12.3.x (perhaps it was very conservative - here's an example showing an aggressive commit from 12.3.x), but really allowing 4-5 seconds of space as 12.4.1 does is ample. Just have to cross quickly (this was a problem with 12.3.x). It's not really throwing caution to the wind if executed and committed properly. You have to cross the road somehow.

I agree it needs to clear the aft part of the vehicle from traffic lanes with greater alacrity.

Basically just a quick review of 12.3.x showed major issues:
1) Insufficient crossing speed.
2) Stopping in near traffic lanes due to traffic from the right.
3) Bad pose in the median (sticking out too far in the front sometimes, slow to clear the rear from traffic lanes).
4) Aggressive pre-rolling?

Yep, unprotected left performance went on hiatus for v12.3.x. V12.4.1 seems to be jamming it in tight openings. I imagine some supervisors would eventually be stuck in the middle with that deer in the headlight look.

It's a bummer v12.4.1 is still stopping way short of stop signs at least for Chuck's left turn. I could've swore that wasn't the case in other v12.4.1 videos.

I could've swore that wasn't the case in other v12.4.1 videos.
Plenty of signs of it in the brief glances I have had of other videos. It’s also just super slow at all intersections. It’s hard to really feel it is so slow until behind the wheel of course. I am sure the hesitation complaints will continue.

I am hoping it takes less than 10 seconds to complete an unprotected left with no traffic present. 🤣 Need to keep expectations very low.

Testing FSD and experiencing the truly awful handling of basic stop sign controlled intersections has made me think a lot of about how best to meet the (apparent) NHTSA requirements for a full zero MPH stop.

Lately I've been stomping the brake at the last moment, making that full zero MPH stop right on the stop line for a fraction of a second, and stomping the accelerator. Jerky? Oh yes. Unnecessary wear on brakes? You bet. But I'm getting through intersections as fast as normal drivers, and getting that legal full stop in there.

If this wasn't safer they wouldn't mandate full stops! It must be the best way to drive! 🤣

(Yes I've actually been trying this, I have the dashcam footage to prove it)

In all seriousness, this half joking exercise has convinced me that to follow the flow of traffic and satisfy the full stop requirement requires tolerating much higher acceleration and jerk.

- Compliant with traffic laws
- Follows the natural flow of traffic without being abnormally cautious
- Smooth

Pick two! Humans always pick 2 & 3

Testing FSD and experiencing the truly awful handling of basic stop sign controlled intersections has made me think a lot of about how best to meet the (apparent) NHTSA requirements for a full zero MPH stop.

Lately I've been stomping the brake at the last moment, making that full zero MPH stop right on the stop line for a fraction of a second, and stomping the accelerator. Jerky? Oh yes. Unnecessary wear on brakes? You bet. But I'm getting through intersections as fast as normal drivers, and getting that legal full stop in there.

If this wasn't safer they wouldn't mandate full stops! It must be the best way to drive! 🤣

(Yes I've actually been trying this, I have the dashcam footage to prove it)

In all seriousness, this half joking exercise has convinced me that to follow the flow of traffic and satisfy the full stop requirement requires tolerating much higher acceleration and jerk.

- Compliant with traffic laws
- Follows the natural flow of traffic without being abnormally cautious
- Smooth

Pick two! Humans always pick 2 & 3
Tesla should have told NHTSA "if you can show us one example of someone coming to a complete 2-second stop 5 feet before the line, we'll put it in the software." You might get a ticket for not coming to a complete stop, but I've never heard of one for not stopping before the line.

So I identified at least one case. It slides down to make room for the pay attention warning at the top of the screen. So if you actually look at the camera view to see if the lane change is OK, it moves it on you to tell you to pay attention. 🤣
That's on par with the alarms that draw your attention to the screen to squint at the tiny message telling you to watch out in front of you!