Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you lost faith in Tesla?

Have you lost faith in Tesla?

• No

Votes: 295 59.5%
  • Nearly

Votes: 94 19.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 107 21.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh, I would never sink that low šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£

I bought an M3 because back in June 2019 there wasnā€™t much competition. Things are very different now and there are some fantastic cars out there with plenty more on the way. Iā€™m looking forward to BYD establishing themselves in this country.

The huge profits bother me because Iā€™d rather the money was in my bank account, not theirs.
Iā€™m really looking forward to driving a BYD Atto 3. Itā€™s getting great reviews in the motoring press. Of course the true believers will disparage it simply because it isnā€™t a Tesla.

No. I have an uneasiness that the value (and I donā€™t just mean financial) of a Tesla is not as fixed at point of purchase as it is with a conventional vehicle but I am on board with where theyā€™re going, optimistic about what they might achieve and prepared to take the gamble.

Lost faith? Tesla people sound more and more like a religion/cult by the day.

I have two, probably won't buy another again and am even less likely to buy again if the supercharger network is completely opened up. Mercedes and Audi are still someway off but by 2025 I could see them having a car better than M3. Lucid coming to the UK would make me consider them too.

Back in early 2020 there wasnā€™t much if anything to rival Tesla for range. Thatā€™s why I bought mine.
2023 will be a different story, shortages permitting.
Tesla will have to make good on itā€™s ā€˜promisesā€™ for me to keep mine.
There is so much that could be implemented or improved with software changes.
At my age, My choice is simple; keep it until the car or I die or lose patience and replace with another brand.

Can I get some of what youā€™re smoking?

Lack of investment? Race to the bottom? That isnā€™t a thing thatā€™s happening at all, quite the opposite. Just because they arenā€™t investing in the think you think they should be doesnā€™t mean there is no investment.

Tesla is pouring billions in to EVs and without exception has invested more than any other vehicle manufacturer in the industry which is why they have dramatically more EV capacity than literally any other manufacturer and no one has even come close to meeting them let alone beating them. Right now thatā€™s the only thing that matters, who can make the most cars and Tesla is miles ahead of the pack, the next closest are BYD and VW and both are about half of Teslaā€˜s output. Itā€™s not even close.
BYD sells three times the number of vehicles that Tesla sells. VW group is forecast to sell more EVs than Tesla in 2024.

Tesla appears to be squandering its first to market advantage on niche products like the Semi and the pickup. If they truly wanted to clean up, they would produce an affordable EV for the masses that has a range of 150 miles or so, no ridiculous "self driving" rubbish, and the superb packaging that seems to elude most other EV manfacturers.

BYD sells three times the number of vehicles that Tesla sells. VW group is forecast to sell more EVs than Tesla in 2024.

Tesla appears to be squandering its first to market advantage on niche products like the Semi and the pickup. If they truly wanted to clean up, they would produce an affordable EV for the masses that has a range of 150 miles or so, no ridiculous "self driving" rubbish, and the superb packaging that seems to elude most other EV manfacturers.
Thatā€™s a misleading stat.
BYD sells half the number of EVs at Tesla and the rest are hybrids. Thatā€™s basically the same as saying GM shipped more total vehicles than Tesla, itā€™s irrelevant. VW also have zero chance of selling more than Tesla in 2024, where did you find that one?

The Semi is early days but has literally no competition for the range it has. Tesla have also stated they believe the minimum viable range is >250 miles and theyā€™re not going to ship a vehicle with poor range, nor should they, thatā€™s a compromise. Selling cheap crap products that donā€™t convert people from their ICE vehicles or ends up turning them off from EVs because of the limitation of a small battery isnā€™t a strategy, itā€™s a crutch

Last edited:
VW also have zero chance of selling more than Tesla in 2024
I doubt ā€œzeroā€ chance, but I take your point.
But remember VW have been making cars for a very long time. Granted, theyā€™ve been caught with their pants down with the transition to electric power trains but I donā€™t think theyā€™ll be lagging for a very long period of time.

VW or VW Group?
VW Group. So factor in their myriad sub brands. Which will range from city runabouts, sports cars, luxo barges, probably an MPV, as well as niche products like the California redesign. And Tesla have 4 products that can be used outside the US.

As I say, BYD and its ilk will spend billions trying to capture the low end, volume category, and have shown that they can do it in Teslas largest market. VW group aiming for mid / mid-upper, and predicted to achieve it by end 2024. Upper and luxury is anyone's guess - as price is not really a factor, but image and quality are. Which rules out Tesla on both counts.

Apple have done pretty well despite avoiding the cheap end of the market. Volume is important due to ecconomy of scale but you don't have to cover all areas of the market to be successful. So long as battery supply is an issue i don't see Tesla rushing into lower margin vehicles. Not saying it won't happen just that it may not be the no 1 priority.

VW group aiming for mid / mid-upper, and predicted to achieve it by end 2024. Upper and luxury is anyone's guess - as price is not really a factor, but image and quality are. Which rules out Tesla on both counts.

You must not have been in a recent VW. Their prices are high but their interiors are proper fisher price. Iā€™d take a tesla interior over a VW one any day of the week.

That said, yes, the brand will sell more EVs than Tesla eventually, they have a far larger manufacturing base and 100 years of brand loyalty/recognition. Youā€™d have to be mad to think otherwise once you add up Audi, VW, Skoda, Seat, Cupra, Porsche etc. but that doesnā€™t mean there isnā€™t a place in the market for Tesla.

I doubt ā€œzeroā€ chance, but I take your point.
But remember VW have been making cars for a very long time. Granted, theyā€™ve been caught with their pants down with the transition to electric power trains but I donā€™t think theyā€™ll be lagging for a very long period of time.
Nah, itā€™s definitely zero.

My confidence here comes from working for an organisation that supplies multiple car brands, including both VW and Tesla, as well as other legacy and EV start-ups.

VWs internal software division has collapsed under the weight of Diessā€˜ strategy of hiring all the engineers to throw at the problem, trouble is that doesnā€™t fix anything, it often makes it worse.

Blume, the new CEO, seems to have taken further decisions that will slow them down and theyā€™ve already announced that flagship models originally due as early as next year, are getting delayed to 2027. The Wolfsburg plant redevelopment is also running behind schedule and wonā€™t be ramped even for the iD3 for another 2 year and thatā€™s before their even get to their Trinity project which was supposed, by their own admission, to be the platform that enabled them to start to catch Tesla both in production and software, but that was already delayed to 2028 and now 2030 is being talked about as a realistic date.

VW could have all the factories in the world, but they still couldnā€™t flip them to EV fast enough because they donā€™t have the capability to keep up with the software side to support the launch of more vehicles and that is crippling them.

Itā€™s honestly like itā€™s 2007 and weā€™re watching Nokia try to counter the iPhone all over again, that time with the grossly inadequate Symbian platform vs. iOS, which like VWā€˜s platform today, was somewhat unique to each device and as a result slowed their overall pace of development dramatically because they failed to simplify their lineup. History is repeating. VW are working on Cariad E3 2.0 but theyā€™re saying itā€™s going to take 5 years to build this new OS, which is insane in software years. theyā€™re only developing 10% of the software in-house today and targeting 60% by 2025. E3 2.0 will be outdated before it launches.

All of this is laid bare on their own website in the form of press releases and updates on progress. So I remain absolutely confident they have zero chance of shipping more EVs than Tesla next year this year or any year just based on software alone, let alone the other supply chain challenges they have.

Last edited: