Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide: Model Y or Mach-E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regarding the on-screen display and controls, this was something that I was quite apprehensive about before we bought our Tesla Model 3. However, I found that I got used to it in about 2 days, and now I far prefer it. In fact, operating the controls of other cars now really annoys me. This preference for the Model 3 approach includes speedometer: it is at the upper left portion of the screen and easily viewable while driving - more easily viewable than most speedometers which force you to look down and through the steering wheel.
That's exactly how I feel about the Model 3/Y instrument cluster situation. I was concerned about not having the traditional instrument cluster in front of me in the MY before my test drive. But I literally got used to it about 5 seconds into the MY test drive and have not missed not having an instrument cluster in front of me ever since.

@pepperoni, congrats on your new ride! I think I followed this thread since the beginning and it's cool to see what you ended up with. I'm guessing the Ford dealer happily took your Mach-E cancellation and sold it to the next person in line, maybe even at an upcharge?

IMG_6257.jpeg

You're missing out.

Figured I’d respond here as my first post. I remember reading the OP’s original posts at the MME forum where i am also a member. Now joining over here as I ordered a MYP about a month ago as I don’t have faith in any one platform enough to own 2 of them. Too much exposure to issues effecting both at the same time. Regardless, congrats @pepperoni - good to see someone where similar tastes considering the same options!

Reactions: pepperoni
Technically you could trade in the Model Y for the Mach-E... lol.

I still plan to accept delivery on my Mach-E GTPE in May/June and probably will keep one of my Y or 3 also.

I personally could not live with a CCS1-based EV as a primary/sole car in Florida. In CA, it's very possible.
The thought has occurred to me. And since I locked in my Y price at $54K, I’m sure I could make a killing selling it, which would make a nice down payment for the Mach-E. Likewise, I still have my Mach-E order, and could easily make the purchase and flip it for a handsome profit. Dealers are tacking on $15K ADM and selling these cars the day they arrive. Plus, Ford has stopped taking new orders for the CA 1 trim until 2023, so the dealer is going to looooove this car when it shows up. I am mightily tempted, but flipping is just not my style so I think I will just recover my $500 deposit to Ford and enjoy my Y.

Reactions: tm1v2 and voxel
The thought has occurred to me. And since I locked in my Y price at $54K, I’m sure I could make a killing selling it, which would make a nice down payment for the Mach-E. Likewise, I still have my Mach-E order, and could easily make the purchase and flip it for a handsome profit. Dealers are tacking on $15K ADM and selling these cars the day they arrive. Plus, Ford has stopped taking new orders for the CA 1 trim until 2023, so the dealer is going to looooove this car when it shows up. I am mightily tempted, but flipping is just not my style so I think I will just recover my $500 deposit to Ford and enjoy my Y.

Having owned both (and a Model Y a second time around) I'd say you can't go wrong with either. The Model Y is definitely the more refined total experience though.

Reactions: pepperoni
Simple. You want tech or comfort ? That will answer which car to get.

Tesla has the tech. It has the supercharger. It has EV charge navigation route with SoC in mind. It has constant OTA updates. It’s bumpy. It’s stiff and riddle with imperfections. It’s skimpy on interior comfort and amenities.

Mach E, has better comfort and suspensions. But it lacks dedicated charging network. It can’t do EV navigation routing with SoC in mind.

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi and Tha_Ape
Simple. You want tech or comfort ? That will answer which car to get.

Tesla has the tech. It has the supercharger. It has EV charge navigation route with SoC in mind. It has constant OTA updates. It’s bumpy. It’s stiff and riddle with imperfections. It’s skimpy on interior comfort and amenities.

Mach E, has better comfort and suspensions. But it lacks dedicated charging network. It can’t do EV navigation routing with SoC in mind.
Which will help one get laid? Asking for a guy I know.

Reactions: Stuart Watson
That's the thing I don't get why everyone says it's a tech car when it's not. I mean yeah it's got autopilot but with phantom braking. For a tech car it doesn't have an tradition blind spot monitoring, 360 camera, apple car play, cross backup traffic alert, front camera... I mean so much for a "tech" car.
And iphones are not tech phones cause they don't have fingerprint readers

huh? facial recognition is not a fingerprint reader

the point is things like carplay are old technology.. tesla is trying to improve for better or for worse.. same as apple
You were trying to say that the Iphone didn't have a finger print reader when it did. Older phones used to unlock with the finger print reader. You were trying to make it sound like it wasn't a "tech" phone but yet it upgraded to a facial recognition to unlock phone/apps. Carplay is not "old technology", it's used in almost all cars being produced by other companies........

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi
You were trying to say that the Iphone didn't have a finger print reader when it did. Older phones used to unlock with the finger print reader. You were trying to make it sound like it wasn't a "tech" phone but yet it upgraded to a facial recognition to unlock phone/apps. Carplay is not "old technology", it's used in almost all cars being produced by other companies........
no im saying the current iphones do not have fingerprint readers.. carplay is like 10 years old now.. just cause it is in new cars doesnt make it new technology.. same as fingerprint readers.. i still like fingerprint readers which is why i hate the new iphones

no im saying the current iphones do not have fingerprint readers.. carplay is like 10 years old now.. just cause it is in new cars doesnt make it new technology.. same as fingerprint readers.. i still like fingerprint readers which is why i hate the new iphones
Just cause it's "old" technology to you doesn't mean it's still not technology. It works FAR superior to the Tesla and numerous posts/articles have cited this.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi and gt2690b
No, there was no fixing needed. We are not talking about facial recognition. Apple CarPlay is superior to the Tesla's "tech" when it comes to phone connectivity of music, texts, phone, syncing.......nice try (3rd time).
uhh.. i was in fact.. talking about facial recognition.. fingerprint readers are superior to it.. similar to tesla's omission of car play.. why is that hard to understand?

sometimes bleeding edge is not as good as older and proven technology... just because tesla doesnt have 10 year old technology does not mean its not a "tech" car.. they are trying to do something better (i, for one, prefer no apple carplay) but i understand why some people prefer it

uhh.. i was in fact.. talking about facial recognition.. fingerprint readers are superior to it.. similar to tesla's omission of car play.. why is that hard to understand?
WTF are you talking about. You try to down play carplay by saying apple doesn't use fingerprinting when it did and even advanced to facial recognition. "Why is it hard" for you to understand that Carplay works much better than the connectivity that Tesla offers? Why are you still on the facial recognition thing when this the post was talking about tech? FFS give it up.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi and gt2690b