Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide: Model Y or Mach-E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Too early for Ford and all at the expense of the Mustang name. The right direction but too soon and they sacrificed their cash cow to enter the market. As a long time Ford owner glad to see any competition enter the market but they have a long way to catch up. Good luck with your decision. Hope they become a player long term but personally not willing to accept the risk of being an early MME early adopter.

In addition to what you're considering:

For the Mach-E:
The Model Y interface is fast, sure, but it's terribly laid out.
Autopilot is hot garbage. It's last week's shrimp catch sitting in the sun for 12 hours a day with a fan blowing the fumes in your face.
The Mach-E has far, far better suspension, especially with the MR shocks.

For MY:
The Mach-E runs out of breath around 80mph and the acceleration slows way down.
Tesla has the supercharger network.
Probably better resale value
I haven't sat in the ME seats, but literally every Ford seat I've ever sat in is a torture device. MY seats are mediocre, but Ford seats are awful.

If I were buying and needed a car this second and I could get either, it's kind of a tossup. It'd probably come down for me to if the seats are really all that bad. If I could wait until next summer, I'd get the new BMW sedan in performance form. But I got my car months ago, and the Mach-E wasn't a possibility at that point.

Reactions: pepperoni
I currently own a Zero electric motorcycle with a standard J1772 plug and I owned a Volt before the Y. The non Tesla charging availability is dismal in many locations. What few locations there are tend to have as little as one or two chargers, being slower, they have more chance of being used or someone just parking there. In South Florida there are ZERO non Tesla chargers in the central part of the state below Orlando/Lakeland. I do have a Tesla adapter but that only works on low output destination chargers at places like hotels. I'm sure this isn't as big an issue in California but worth considering if you intend to travel.

Both have their advantages and it definitely seems like you’ve done a ton of research.

Mach- E is obviously substantially cheaper and will give you better real world range. Aesthetics are subjective but it sounds like you definitely prefer the looks of the Mach-E. It’s also definitely the more attention -grabbing vehicle which could be either a pro or a con depending on your personality.

Model Y has the supercharging network although it sounds like you’re not concerned about that. Model Y is definitely faster if that’s important to you and the software is much more refined.

Both are great, based off your own write up I’d recommend the Mach e for you but there are definitely others who the model y would be a better fit.

Good luck let us know which one you decide on!

Not surprising! I admit, my BS detector went off when I heard him tell me I could charge a Mach-E at the Tesla supercharger network though I never followed up. It's a pretty strong selling point for the Tesla, so I can't imagine they would open it up for the competition without being forced to through legislation. I need to do more homework on this one.
When I read this, my take was that the selling point wasn’t just the SC network but also not having slimy dealers lying to you. Folks might complain about lack of communication with Tesla’s no-dealer model but I figure limited communication is preferable to fabrication.

Not sure if it’s been mentioned yet but there is absolutely nothing you need to remove your hands from the steering wheel or eyes from the road to control. I see all these comments and complaints about no physical buttons and how you have to look at a screen for wipers etc in different forums ( I follow the Rivian forum and see it there all the time). Your right thumb and your voice is all you need to do everything. Change radio stations, change wiper settings, change heater settings, whatever. It is the easiest interface ever. No hands leave the steering wheel ever. Plenty of other possible reasons to chose the MMe over the Y but the interface should be a win for the Y.
I hadn't really considered this. If hands-free voice control works, and I mean really works, then this is a very strong point. I stopped using Siri years ago after I tried calling my wife and ended up calling my boss instead.

Hope they become a player long term but personally not willing to accept the risk of being an early MME early adopter.
My decision may ultimately turn on this one point. I honestly like both (for different reasons), and flip back and forth just about every day. However, I keep coming back to the question on whether I want to become an early adopter, especially with $50K+ of my own money. This is brand new tech for Ford, and there are bound to be a few expensive design mistakes lurking in there. The MME has been out for over a year now, so there should be some real world data on reliability. (On the other hand, my new MY might end up coming from the Texas plant, and who knows what new issues might come with that.)

I have owned MYLR fir the past 11 months. I had a lot of concerns about reliability and build quality of Tesla and I have had zero issues.

I am happy to see Fire Mach E and card like ID.4 as competition is good for customers.

I never owned Ford before and I cannot imagine owning their first electric car.

Voice recognition in MY is incredible. I have accent but it has not had any trouble understanding me. I am used to having a screen with all the information I need and not any any other display

My decision may ultimately turn on this one point. I honestly like both (for different reasons), and flip back and forth just about every day. However, I keep coming back to the question on whether I want to become an early adopter, especially with $50K+ of my own money. This is brand new tech for Ford, and there are bound to be a few expensive design mistakes lurking in there. The MME has been out for over a year now, so there should be some real world data on reliability. (On the other hand, my new MY might end up coming from the Texas plant, and who knows what new issues might come with that.)
With any Tesla since they ramped up production you should set expectations that there will be some quality issues (panel gaps , paint etc ) plenty of threads on here about that. I must have been lucky because when I got my X it was right before the major ramp up of M3 and several years into the X. What you won’t get dispute on this board is the quality of the battery and drive train, to me this is the most expensive and important part of the car and where Tesla is far superior to anyone now IMO. The Mach E to me is a niche car that Ford is building to meet some Fed standards on fuel economy etc. fords mission is not around EV cars and probably never will be , Tesla on the other hand will do nothing but build EV cars . Car decisions are hard especially at this price point but on boards like these you will get highly biased opinions and you should go with what makes sense for your needs etc ..good luck on purchase !

I was in the same boat this past winter. Ford did an amazing job on the MME, for a first try they knocked it out of the park. That said, never buy a 1st year Ford, ever! I grew up in Dearborn, MI trust me I know. Aside from the first year stuff. The MY won for me with the hatch space and the general layout felt more comfortable. The MME had some weird feelings, hitting my head getting out of rear seats, arm rests an inch too short, etc. I bet it will get better with the 22 model, have they announced it yet? I haven’t driven the GT model yet either, but was a bit underwhelmed from what I’ve seen so far.

As others have mentioned the salesman was BS’ing you on the supercharger adapter. They sell a L2 adapter to convert Tesla to j1172 for like $100-$150 that I’ve seen people try and fail to use on Tesla wall chargers. Bet that’s what he had.

[...]

Mach- E is obviously substantially cheaper and will give you better real world range... [...]

I have doubts about the better real world range for the Mach E. The testing I have seen of the the Model 3/Y showing substantially lower real world vs. rated range does not conform to my own experience as a Model 3 owner. I don't know how they are coming up with those results.

I hadn't really considered this. If hands-free voice control works, and I mean really works, then this is a very strong point. I stopped using Siri years ago after I tried calling my wife and ended up calling my boss instead.
Works a lot better than Siri and you don’t need specific phrases either, just speak clearly and say what you want to happen. Two flaws are chatty passengers mess it up and if you are on the phone it won’t work.

Reactions: pepperoni
Works a lot better than Siri and you don’t need specific phrases either, just speak clearly and say what you want to happen. Two flaws are chatty passengers mess it up and if you are on the phone it won’t work.
I need to start using this, thanks for the reminder. I think i’ve used call xxx twice. Here area couple lists of available commands.

When I read this, my take was that the selling point wasn’t just the SC network but also not having slimy dealers lying to you. Folks might complain about lack of communication with Tesla’s no-dealer model but I figure limited communication is preferable to fabrication.
Tesla managers are no more honest than dealers just read about the many broken promises. I have some in writing they will not honor. Tesla used to be better than dealers now they are worse IMO based on 5 Tesla ownership experiences and lot's of broken agreements and poor service experience which was world-class.

I currently own a Zero electric motorcycle with a standard J1772 plug and I owned a Volt before the Y. The non Tesla charging availability is dismal in many locations. What few locations there are tend to have as little as one or two chargers, being slower, they have more chance of being used or someone just parking there. In South Florida there are ZERO non Tesla chargers in the central part of the state below Orlando/Lakeland. I do have a Tesla adapter but that only works on low output destination chargers at places like hotels. I'm sure this isn't as big an issue in California but worth considering if you intend to travel.

I echo what Flybuddy said. I currently own a Model Y, Chevy Bolt and an Energica Ribelle.

IMHO it comes down to the charging infrastructure. My Bolt and Ribelle use CCS for DC charging and my experience with local CCS chargers in the SF Bay Area is that they're often not easy to find and when you do find them, there's typically only 1 or 2 and it's a 50/50 chance of it being broken.

If road trips aren't important to you...then get whatever EV you like, they're all good choices for local driving.

If road trips hold any importance, then get the Tesla. The Supercharger network currently can't be beat for ease of access, ease of use, and reliability. Hopefully the CCS network will get there too but as of 2021, it's just not there yet.

If road trips aren't important to you...then get whatever EV you like, they're all good choices for local driving.
While generally agree they are all good choices ..IMO spending north of $50k just for local driving an EV isn’t worth it. I concur on CCS etc they are so unreliable and most of times ones I come across chademo/ccs combos are ICEd or broken ..the value of the charging network and simplicity of driving nearly anywhere with a Tesla should carry more value than looks alone 😀

This was an interesting video, but I have to ask... should this make a difference in my decition? I think the purpose of the video was to say that the Ford design had more parts than it needed, and could be simplified allowing Ford to save money and weight. Not surprising for a first generation design. I think this is related to the top advantage I listed for the Tesla over the Ford, specifically "Tesla has been making EVs for a while now, and has straightened out a lot of early production issues."
Since you have some time, consider going through the Munro & Associates tear-downs for both the Model Y (
) and MME (
). As an engineer, I'm more comfortable when I know the internals of a product.

The 2022 Model Y you would purchase will have addressed some of the issues called out in the 2020 tear-down.
  • Single front casting eliminates the front "shotgun" issues.
  • HVAC components cleaned up.
  • Better headlights.
  • Better noise control.
The MME hose nightmare will require scheduled maintenance to find and correct leaks, verify coolant levels. The complex design will drive high maintenance labor costs.

The Munro teardown called out several good Ford innovations - eliminate outside door handles, door internals, one of the drive units.

The one thing I'll say about the Mach-E is while I think its a good step, they really just got it out as fast as they could. There is no internal training company wide on any of the tech or support.

They actively tell customers to charge to 100%. If you plan to park this inside, do some research on how much noise they make even on Level 2 charging. I have a friend with one who can't park it inside his garage because of how much noise it makes near their children's room.

The one thing I'll say about the Mach-E is while I think its a good step, they really just got it out as fast as they could. There is no internal training company wide on any of the tech or support.

They actively tell customers to charge to 100%. If you plan to park this inside, do some research on how much noise they make even on Level 2 charging. I have a friend with one who can't park it inside his garage because of how much noise it makes near their children's room.
EV is new but EV technology has been around for a long time. Tesla is longer than any manufacturers for EV and many people own Tesla and we read so many articles about good and bad about Tesla but not Mach E. We have to wait a little longer to find the good and the bad about Mach E. I agreed 100% that the EV technicians do not have enough schooling and training. Most of them come as a regular mechanic and learned to be an EV technician. EV is different than conventional cars. I am an electronic engineer, I am sure I can learn to repair EV faster than conventional gasoline car. Wait a little longer before buying Ford Mach E until the product is more mature.