Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide: Model Y or Mach-E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As in the MY is noticeably bigger?
Yes. Very noticeable.

I think Mach-E is a fine second car for family if you have another larger vehicle for occasional needs to transport things/people. Also maybe its because the car is only RWD standard version, I feel, again in my personal opinion only, Mach-E drives very boring. I don’t get the same excitement or the feel of thrust vs driving MY, even in the unbridled mode. Maybe because it’s just the standard version. Mach-E has AWD version with premium option that is quicker but at that point it’s similarly priced to MY. To me they are not worth the same.

Interior design-wise Mach-E is fine. You can tell Ford spent a lot of time thinking through design and placements of each button. The big center screen is beautiful and the additional dashboard is something I wish MY should’ve included. But the feel is unmistakable Ford. You are not going to think you are in a luxury German car once seated inside. It’s like Ford just tried to modernize their design instead of tearing everything down and rebuilt from ground up. Its fine but its just boring after initial excitement wears off. Maybe that’s what Ford was trying to achieve, a balance of traditional + new modern design language hoping not to scare away people who are new to EV.
On the other hand, Mach-E is great because it qualifies for 7500 rebate. Standard Mach-E is 13000 cheaper than MY, add in 7500 rebate and it’s over 20k saving. For 20k I could look over a few shortcomings.

Oh, the door knob / handle thing on Ford is stupid, I don’t know who thought that was a good idea.

Yes. Very noticeable.

I think Mach-E is a fine second car for family if you have another larger vehicle for occasional needs to transport things/people. Also maybe its because the car is only RWD standard version, I feel, again in my personal opinion only, Mach-E drives very boring. I don’t get the same excitement or the feel of thrust vs driving MY, even in the unbridled mode. Maybe because it’s just the standard version. Mach-E has AWD version with premium option that is quicker but at that point it’s similarly priced to MY. To me they are not worth the same.

Interior design-wise Mach-E is fine. You can tell Ford spent a lot of time thinking through design and placements of each button. The big center screen is beautiful and the additional dashboard is something I wish MY should’ve included. But the feel is unmistakable Ford. You are not going to think you are in a luxury German car once seated inside. It’s like Ford just tried to modernize their design instead of tearing everything down and rebuilt from ground up. Its fine but its just boring after initial excitement wears off. Maybe that’s what Ford was trying to achieve, a balance of traditional + new modern design language hoping not to scare away people who are new to EV.
On the other hand, Mach-E is great because it qualifies for 7500 rebate. Standard Mach-E is 13000 cheaper than MY, add in 7500 rebate and it’s over 20k saving. For 20k I could look over a few shortcomings.

Oh, the door knob / handle thing on Ford is stupid, I don’t know who thought that was a good idea.
Looks like AC Delco 🤮

We have both standard Mach-E and LR MY. If you care about trunk space the difference is pretty huge. Make sure you actually see both cars in person, not just reading online and watching YouTube, before making decision.
I second this. I was comparing the Mach-E and MY on the same day, and I was very surprised by how small the Mach-E's trunk is compared to MY. Also, overall the Mach-E has resembled me a Kia Niro type vehicle in size rather than Honda CR-V.

I also recommend anyone considering the Mach-E to read the macheforum carefully. There are many serious issues (batteries, motors, steering) and software issues (for example, their phone app (they call it PaaK) is a total failure almost universally, so people have to use the key fob to open the car) with the Mach-E. So, unless you are ready to tolerate potential issues and have another car to drive, better stay away from Mach-E (this opinion is based on 30 minutes of personal experience and many hours of reading mach-e forums)

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
Just an observation. I know you put a deposit and ordered two cars but this is one reason car manufacturers get themselves into trouble down the road. This is isn't a shirt you order and then return to Amazon, it's an expensive car and each unit depends on those who order the car to actually but the car. Those who sell their reservations on eBay should be outlawed as well. So, quite frankly, these boards are all about Tesla not Ford.
Sorry, this post gave me a chuckle! I wish I could just order both off Amazon and return the one I don’t like. Honestly, I bet the Ford dealership would prefer that I cancel my order when it comes in. They get a quota of cars that they can order from Ford. If I decline the one I ordered at MSRP, they can turn around and sell it at +$10K markup, and it will be gone within hours. Tesla also has a line of waiting customers 10 months long, so wouldn’t be inconvenienced at all if I canceled before delivery.

But… are you saying I can sell my reservation on eBay instead of declining the car I don’t want?? I must look into this! What can I get for it? Reservation scalping sounds like a potentially lucrative business.

Honestly, I bet the Ford dealership would prefer that I cancel my order when it comes in. They get a quota of cars that they can order from Ford.
This.

Every Ford dealer I've contacted... after I asked if the Mach-E listed is available (never is... it's reserved). Would you like to order one? Even after I tell a dealer I'm likely to cancel they still push for an order.

Toyota dealers always ask if you would like to visit and take a test drive. Never "would you like to put a deposit on a RAV4 Prime" - because they can't really order cars.

Even though the Mach-E is trying to emulate the Model Y, I find it hard to believe there is a lot of cross-shopping between the two. Someone in the market for a SUV isn’t looking at the Ford Explorer or BMW X5. Totally different user base IMO.

They are. Mach-E forums are fully of MYP discussions.

To me, the competitor is the EV6. Model Y is mostly a family SUV to me with more rear cargo space. MYP of course is a different beast but it's a rarer config.

We have both standard Mach-E and LR MY. If you care about trunk space the difference is pretty huge. Make sure you actually see both cars in person, not just reading online and watching YouTube, before making decision.
I have a Model Y on order for Q1 22 but have only recently noticed the very low maximum payload on the Y 390kg (860lbs) compared with for example 547kg (1205lbs) on the E and 611kg (1347lbs) on the ID.4

hah! my wife and i dont agree on a lot of things but we agreed that knob is terrible

she did totally dig the mustang that was embossed into the leather steering wheel

Never forget where Ford got their design language from for the UI/UX of the screen and knob.

Looks just as bad, functions about the same lagginess as well.

IB_112-0124-01_Pro-Plus-6QT_ATF_Square_Tile1.jpeg

I just saw this post in another thread about the Ford battery design. Sounds like there are significant issues with heat sinking. It would explain the battery issues they're been having.

Known issue - Mustang Mach-E Battery Charges Slowly, Overheats Quickly: Why?

But honestly most regular folks won't notice. Bjorn's Mach-E video show that the cooling takes a while to lower the battery temp (he drove the Mach-E for 1000km and says after 20mins of driving the battery temp only fell one degree from 38C after DC charging).

Reactions: sleepydoc
Known issue - Mustang Mach-E Battery Charges Slowly, Overheats Quickly: Why?

But honestly most regular folks won't notice. Bjorn's Mach-E video show that the cooling takes a while to lower the battery temp (he drove the Mach-E for 1000km and says after 20mins of driving the battery temp only fell one degree from 38C after DC charging).
most people aren't out on a track - they're driving to work and their kids' piano lessons and soccer games, so you're correct that they won't notice the performance restrictions but they will notice the slower charge times, and if hot summer weather necessitates further restrictions they may notice those.

Styling is subjective. but specs dont lie. Model Y is bigger, faster and has more range. on top of that the supercharger network and OTA updates. For me is not even close.

Agree with the above. I'm glad that Ford first attempt at a full spec EV is pretty good and will appeal to folks that don't want to buy a Tesla for whatever reason. When we sold our 3 to get a Y, I didn't bother to cross shop anything else. At this point, seems to me that Tesla is the only player that has nailed the SW UI/updates and supercharging network. Plus, I have no desire to set foot at a stealership, though others may feel otherwise.

So, if one cares only about hard specs (range, acceleration, SW, SC network, technology maturity), the Y wins hands down, but folks may care about other things. For one thing, the Y suspension is on the harsh side, but it handles really well. May not suit everyone.