Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help - Ordered today but didn't get premium package. Is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So after 2 years of drooling and debating and planning, I finally took the plunge, and happily, and ordered a 90D. I was having a tough time between the red and the pearl white, and somehow my gut told me to go with red at the last moment even though I was leaning towards pearl white earlier! What I didn't get was the premium package as personally I am not a fan of leather and premium package was forcing me to get leather seats as well. To get the fabric seats, I decided to forego the premium package. Now my question is, while I still have time to modify the order for free, can you all tell me if the premium package is worth the $3500? The LED lighting is not that noticeable. The only thing I can see I am missing out on is power lift gate but is that really that big of a deal?I asked the store sales person whether I can order the premium package and keep the by default add leather seats, but can he call the factory and remove the leather seats to fabric and still keep the premium interior for me, and he said he wasn't sure, the factor may not do that. So that's why in the end I decided to not add it. Am I missing out? Is the power lift gate and LED lighting worth it? Or any other cool-ness I am missing out on?Any suggestions and insights will be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: jbcarioca
From Tesla's site:
Premium Upgrades adds
  • Fit and finish refinements, including the use of higher quality materials and ambient lighting
  • HEPA air filtration system
  • Three-position dynamic LED turning lights
  • LED fog lights
  • Power liftgate
  • Lighted door handles
  • Interior accent lighting

I ordered the PUP package on my first S and will again on my second. The extra air filtration is nice (Bioweapon defense mode) , fog lights, power lift gate, etc. I thought it was worth it.

Also the white seats are not leather. They are a synthetic and supposed to be very durable. With the PUP package you get ventilated seats also.

Either way, Congrats on the order!

Thanks Erik

I think it's entirely a matter of personal preference. I didn't want the cloth seats and felt that the premium package made a pretty significant difference in the look and feel of the cabin (trading out the vinyl bits for leather/alcantara on the doors/dash I thought was rather noticeable).

If you're not going for the leather seating as a matter of preference, that would kinda change the value proposition of the premium package to me and I'd probably skip it in your situation.

I will say the one feature that I thought was silly that I've found I really like is the multi-position/dymanic headlights. My commute is about 30 miles of windy rural road with lots of blind corners and I've found this particular feature very useful to me, particularly at this time of year.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: RacerX and PtG62901
Once one tries a car with and without a given option package the choice becomes easier. regardless of my personal choice I notice some people really like the PUP, others don't see the point.
If I lived in Chicagoland and passed frequently in the Southeast part of the region, with nasty industrial odors abounding, the HEPA filtration would probably tip it for me. OTOH, in colder climates I am a fan of fabric and/or ventilated heated seats. Of course the cold weather package includes heated seats.
On balance, in your situation I'd probably dither a bit, but would end out with PUP mostly for the HEPA filtration, but also for the slightly nicer lighting and deck electrics. Everything except HEPA is mostly cheaper in the aftermarket, but considering the total price of the car...why not?

That's a though question. I faced the same dilema and decided I'm already in for quite a bit of money so why not. Now are you getting full value for $3500? I say no but do I have any regrets, no I don't. My thought is, it's a premium car so why not add premium features. All the features listed are a nice touch. They make the car feel even more premium. ;-). But if you're a super practical person, you won't miss them. Does that make sense? Kinda of like, do you want lobster with your steak? Hope this was helpful.

It was not. Now I'm just hungry. And how is this even a question!?! The real question is whether or not you also want shrimp and ribs WITH your lobster and steak!
Rats! I wanted vegan only, but with lots of tropical fruit and ultra fresh raw ingredients. Luxury indeed! :rolleyes::eek: Were we discussing cars?:confused:
If we were, in the spirit of full disclosure, I ordered PUP with mine.

So after 2 years of drooling and debating and planning, I finally took the plunge, and happily, and ordered a 90D. I was having a tough time between the red and the pearl white, and somehow my gut told me to go with red at the last moment even though I was leaning towards pearl white earlier! What I didn't get was the premium package as personally I am not a fan of leather and premium package was forcing me to get leather seats as well. To get the fabric seats, I decided to forego the premium package. Now my question is, while I still have time to modify the order for free, can you all tell me if the premium package is worth the $3500? The LED lighting is not that noticeable. The only thing I can see I am missing out on is power lift gate but is that really that big of a deal?I asked the store sales person whether I can order the premium package and keep the by default add leather seats, but can he call the factory and remove the leather seats to fabric and still keep the premium interior for me, and he said he wasn't sure, the factor may not do that. So that's why in the end I decided to not add it. Am I missing out? Is the power lift gate and LED lighting worth it? Or any other cool-ness I am missing out on?Any suggestions and insights will be greatly appreciated.

I find the non-premium interior to be kindof plasticky, and not what I would expect in such an expensive car.

I find the non-premium interior to be kindof plasticky, and not what I would expect in such an expensive car.
I completely disagree. I had a look at a new S60D without a PUP, and could not tell any differences in the fit an finish aside from the alcantara split on the dash on the PUP car. The rest of the car was identical aesthetically, including arm rests, door panels and lower dash panels. Same places had leather, the material appeared to be the same. The only value from what I see in any tangible sense is the auto tailgate, but that alone isn't worth $3500. I think the line 'fit and finish refinements, including higher quality materials' refers specifically to the alcantara on the dash.

• Informative
Reactions: Sawyer8888
I completely disagree. I had a look at a new S60D without a PUP, and could not tell any differences in the fit an finish aside from the alcantara split on the dash on the PUP car. The rest of the car was identical aesthetically, including arm rests, door panels and lower dash panels. Same places had leather, the material appeared to be the same. The only value from what I see in any tangible sense is the auto tailgate, but that alone isn't worth $3500. I think the line 'fit and finish refinements, including higher quality materials' refers specifically to the alcantara on the dash.
I agree. The difference is not so noticeable.

In that case they've improved them. I had a 2014 loaner without the premium interior and I was not at all impressed. The leather on the dash and door panels was all in fake leather grained molded plastic.

Bioweapon Defense Mode sounds gimmicky but it is really useful in key situations. It helps people with allergens, can remove noxious VOCs for little ones, and overall is an added layer of protection for sensitive ones (elderly, adults with asthma or other lung issues, and children).

The headhunting lights are an important safety feature that should be standard.

The power liftgate is nice but I agree that people go nuts for it (it also should be standard and note that it is standard in Canada).

The other aesthetic features of the premium package are nice but nothing too special. I mostly got the PUP for the features above and for potential resale value. As others have noted, a luxury car with such a spartan interior is an anathema to most purchasers. Like SubZero package, without it you find yourself selling to a very small pool for buyers. Unlike SubZero, your savings by not picking it up is substantial.

Reactions: Sawyer8888
It's worth every penny in my opinion. I've been thankful I got the power lift gate more times than I can count, and the alcantara and little touches just make the look and feel inside the car. There is something to be said for spending a little more on top of an already expensive vehicle to take it up a notch. Every time I get in I'm happy I went with the premium.

I ordered the premium package, and would do it again.

My car is a little older, so it was only $3k.

Power lift gate - use it all the time
Ambient lights - not a must, obviously, but it does look pretty nice
Alcantra upper dash - I like the way it looks, and have had several people comment about it
Lighted door handles - not a must, obviously, but it does look pretty nice

PuP also adds chrome accents to the fog light area on the outside. Eh... don't care for it, but it matches the rest of the chrome on the car.

When I got PuP, they had the "extended leather" on the door trim, so there were differences interior with PuP and without. Now? I can't comment, haven't been in a Tesla showroom in a while.

The PUP was a no brainer for me. I use the power lift gate all the time as it allows me to access (open and close) my trunk without opening my garage door 3 inches away from my rear bumper. The HEPA filters are awesome as my wife and I both have allergies and driving through farm areas is painless. Love the extra lights especially lighted door handles, dynamic headlights and ambient lighting. I have a bad back and love my super supportive next gen leather seats. The PUP items should probably be included in the base price of a MS but since they are not, it made sense to get them.