Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can it be so hard to allow the owner to set when she/he wants the car fully charg

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was some discussion of rolling this in to Visible Tesla, but development on that great little program has been at a standstill for a while.
It's too bad, actually. It's a very useful tool. I'd be tossing around the idea of creating an open-source native Mac OS version, but haven't had a ton of time lately. I wish I had knowledge of or interest in Java to pick up and work on what's there, but I just don't.

A lot of owners have great ideas for new features, as this example shows.

I think you hit the nail on the head, and you are probably 100 correct. Just goosing it a couple times negates any savings. I'm guessing every engineer at Tesla knows it.

But, and there is always a but, it's not the point at all. Before I got my Tesla, I assumed that I plugged it in at night and set a departure time and it would figure out the rest (being the most advanced internet connected car in the world). I also assumed that the climate control would be running and I would find the car set for me as desired based on a simple calendar schedule. If I didn't open the car within a time window I set, it would go back to sleep, or even send me an alert. Finding this wonderful forum post purchase, it seems that most owners think the same.

This is just like when Apple came out with the iPhone. Despite its wonders, you couldn't copy and paste, and that pissed people off because it affected perceived usability,and made the new owners the but of many jokes for years until Apple finally added that feature to the OS.

To me, this and a variety of other things listed in many other Tesla wish lists, is Tesla's version of copy and paste. It should've been there day one. User profiles by key fob day two, etc.

Sorry, but this "miss" is just not near the equivalent of cut and paste. The problem with this type of UI critique is that everybody has their own subjective list of misses, and unless Tesla had shipped with 100% of what is on everybody's list, there'd still be moaning. I own 4 cars right now. My Model S on day 1 in December 2012 had more UI functionality than any of the others... and it has continued to improve - which the others have not! Yes, I even have my own list of wanna have's and critiques, but each time I get in one of my other cars - the Tesla UI shortcomings fade away in comparison.

It's too bad, actually. It's a very useful tool. I'd be tossing around the idea of creating an open-source native Mac OS version, but haven't had a ton of time lately. I wish I had knowledge of or interest in Java to pick up and work on what's there, but I just don't.

A lot of owners have great ideas for new features, as this example shows.

It is a very useful tool.

I'm not a big Java fan either... of course I'd prefer a Win native flavor...

It appears that the charge timer is to set start time, NOT end time, so it does not meet OP intent.

It appears so, I bought it to test. Climate scheduling is a nice option on the phone though.

from the developer website it seems that version 1.7 will support end time charging
Screenshot_2016-01-08-01-26-10.png

Last edited:
It's amazing to me how frequently people on TMC will say "I wouldn't use this feature, so I don't think Tesla should offer it." I honestly don't get it.

No one is suggesting that Tesla offer end-time scheduled charging at the expense of giving up start-time scheduled charging. It's not either or. And you don't have to choose only one, and use that one exclusively. That's the beauty of having options.

When I see software options and requests being discussed on TMC I ask myself if what's being discussed makes sense for enough people that I think Tesla should offer it. Whether I'd personally make use of the functionality or not is irrelevant to how I'll weigh in.

In general, more options are better. I recognize the concern about the interface becoming too complicated for the masses, and I agree that the answer to that is to just add an expert mode if and when it becomes a problem. Don't dumb down the capability of the system to what you think the lowest common denominator wants. That's just silly.

As for the specifics of why end-time scheduling is so important for charging, as has been stated up thread, it's all about the battery temperature. I notice a lot of people who live in California stating a lack of need for this feature, or a lack of understanding as to why it is needed. You clearly have not had to drive out into -5 degree F temperatures in a car that sat in a 30 degree F garage all night and finished charging two hours before you wound up leaving. It's only partially about the energy savings in not having to reheat the pack. For me it's about having a consistent experience with respect to regenerative braking. I would prefer to never have a regenerative braking limit, or to have one for as little time as possible. But owning a dual drive Model S, I also want to maximize my car's efficiency, which means driving with range mode on. Driving with range mode on means the battery is not going to heat at all on its own. The only heat to the battery will be the heat generated from driving. In very cold weather, starting with a very cold pack, it can take a very, VERY long time for the regen limit to go away.

My wife leaves for work at different times every day. Based on the weather, she arrives home with varying states of charge every day. I used to just have the car start charging at 1:00 or 2:00 AM, to get the benefit of the lower night rate, and not worry about anything else. But this winter I've been trying to see how much I can improve things by trying to have the car finish charging just before she leaves for work. So to accomplish this, (since she doesn't really give a hoot) I need to find out what time she'll be leaving in the morning, check what rated range the car has left, and then figure out what time to start the charge. I've discovered that with temperatures about 25 to 30 degrees F or higher, and charging at 56 amps for at least three hours (her commute is over 50 miles each way), if she leaves within a few minutes of when the charge completes there is a good chance she won't have a regen limit. I am about to start playing with charging at a higher amp setting (probably 72), which will generate more heat, to see if that does an even better job of eliminating the regen limit more consistently, and at lower temperatures.

My point is the steps I am taking are a bit of a pain. I'm pretty sure if my wife could simply enter her departure time when she arrived home, she'd do that. She just doesn't want to be bothered with more than that, since I'm already asking her to take a photo of the trip meter and send it to me, along with the amount of rated range she used, the weather conditions, the wind speed, etc. (I track her trips.) She's putting up with enough, and she doesn't feel like also doing the mental math to figure out when she should start charging. Now that I'm going to be messing with the charging amperage as well, she'd be even less likely to want to do it.

This would be a simple function for the car to handle. Tesla could even have an optional tie in with pre-conditioning of the cabin. You could check a box that indicates that you want the cabin pre-heated or pre-cooled at the same departure time, and now they'd really be giving us additional functionality.

I understand some people wouldn't use this. That's fine. Many of us would, and that's why Tesla should make it happen.

It's amazing to me how frequently people on TMC will say "I wouldn't use this feature, so I don't think Tesla should offer it." I honestly don't get it.

No one is suggesting that Tesla offer end-time scheduled charging at the expense of giving up start-time scheduled charging. It's not either or. And you don't have to choose only one, and use that one exclusively. That's the beauty of having options.

When I see software options and requests being discussed on TMC I ask myself if what's being discussed makes sense for enough people that I think Tesla should offer it. Whether I'd personally make use of the functionality or not is irrelevant to how I'll weigh in.
Exactly. Getting so tired of people arguing against nice and _simple _ features because they dont think they would personally need/use them! Many people obviously would like this extremely simple option. So why spend so much time arguing against it? As Ampedrealtor writes this could be done by someone who just graduated from hello world-apps. No one is asking Tesla to remove todays option as that would be moronic.......

This winter I have wanted this setting each and every single day. Not for power-cost, but for having a warm battery with full power and a bit of regen when driving away in the morning. Setting the starttime every day both gets old very fast and I routinley forget it.. End effect is that I start of many mornings with no regen and limited power:(

In the summer I actually want the standard start-time option. Go figure! It is possible to want both options:)

I understand some people wouldn't use this. That's fine. Many of us would, and that's why Tesla should make it happen.
I use that function on the Leaf. I would use it on the Tesla if it was available. The only concern would be how "precise" it tries to be. For example, you set it to end at 05:00 for an 05:30 leave time, but the power degrades to 30 amps due to some fluctuation which can't be predicted, and the charge ends up taking an hour longer. This wouldn't be a problem for me because of the daily distance I typically travel (50-75 miles), but I could see how it might be a problem for some.

This is my routine and probably wouldn't work for most people, but I thought I'd share it: I usually drive my car about 50-100 miles a day (but still charge to 90% :confused:), I've set my charge time to start at 3:30am (I usually leave the house around 5:45am). Some days I have 226 miles when leaving, other days I might have 190 miles. As they say, YMMV

Exactly. Getting so tired of people arguing against nice and _simple _ features because they dont think they would personally need/use them! Many people obviously would like this extremely simple option. So why spend so much time arguing against it? As Ampedrealtor writes this could be done by someone who just graduated from hello world-apps. No one is asking Tesla to remove todays option as that would be moronic.......

This winter I have wanted this setting each and every single day. Not for power-cost, but for having a warm battery with full power and a bit of regen when driving away in the morning. Setting the starttime every day both gets old very fast and I routinley forget it.. End effect is that I start of many mornings with no regen and limited power:(

In the summer I actually want the standard start-time option. Go figure! It is possible to want both options:)

This is why you NEVER design something by committee. It's slightly worse here because you throw apologists and rationalizers into the mix, who can only work backwards from "it's perfect, why would you want to change it"

This is my routine and probably wouldn't work for most people, but I thought I'd share it: I usually drive my car about 50-100 miles a day (but still charge to 90% :confused:), I've set my charge time to start at 3:30am (I usually leave the house around 5:45am). Some days I have 226 miles when leaving, other days I might have 190 miles. As they say, YMMV

This^^. My daily mileage is less, so I set the charge limit to 70% in winter, 60% in summer and always start @ 4:15am, depart at 7am on a 30A EVSE. I also miss the end time the leaf has though.

I use that function on the Leaf. I would use it on the Tesla if it was available. The only concern would be how "precise" it tries to be. For example, you set it to end at 05:00 for an 05:30 leave time, but the power degrades to 30 amps due to some fluctuation which can't be predicted, and the charge ends up taking an hour longer. This wouldn't be a problem for me because of the daily distance I typically travel (50-75 miles), but I could see how it might be a problem for some.

I've considered this issue.

This gets even closer to the possible need for the "Expert" settings, but one additional option selection--prioritize completion time or prioritize charge-level--would pretty much solve this problem. For those who selected "prioritize charge-level" the algorithm would build in more wiggle room, and would very often finish much earlier than necessary, to account for the possibility of power degradation during charging. For those who prioritize completion time, the charge would end very close to the set time, and if there was any power degradation the charge level would just be below what it was supposed to be (it would not have actually completed.)

I think that pretty much solves the problem.

Edit: Make the algorithm really smart, allow it to adjust the amperage within a set range, and it could do an even better job. If you've prioritized charge level, and it is clear that it will reach the charge level early, because there was no power degradation, it could lower the power on its own near the end. Similarly, to build in some safety net, it could generally charge at a slightly lower than the max amps you've said you'd allow, and then if there is an issue at some point during charging that eventually goes away, that might be able to be compensated for by charging at the higher level for some time. There are very smart people working for Tesla. They could do this, and do it well, if they so desired.

Last edited:

I don't think anyone has said this. Several of us had said we wouldn't use this feature and are simply trying to understand why it is necessary but I haven't heard anyone say "I don't think Tesla should offer it".

I have had three cars that didn't do this well. My solution was a timer on the EVSE. It turns on and off when my super off peak starts and ends. I have an overdue switch for weekends and other times. That way both of my cars are ready for any demand charging at free charging spots in my little beach town.

I don't think anyone has said this. Several of us had said we wouldn't use this feature and are simply trying to understand why it is necessary but I haven't heard anyone say "I don't think Tesla should offer it".

I don't know that it went that far in this particular thread, and I don't believe I actually claimed that it did. It definitely gets to that point often in other threads.

As for the people saying simply "I wouldn't use it" it seems like often the "so I don't think Tesla should offer it" is implied. If that isn't the intended implication, why not just ask, "How would this be useful?"

OK, let me be clear in my post then. I wouldn't use it. I also think Tesla should not offer it. Why? I do not think Tesla should strive for a complicated, thousands of options, "everything for everybody" interface. I think they have to make choices. I believe that for the vast majority of owners, start time is sufficient. I feel, in a lot of ways, it is better. When software calculates when to start charging based on a departure time, it has to assume a certain rate of charging. Any fluctuations can throw of the departure time. I have departure time on my eGolf - with no ability to set start time. Have seen situations where it is still charging at departure time. I much prefer the Tesla approach.