Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do we get Tesla to add a speed limiter feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This dynamic speed limiter is a must here in Europe.

To those who would say " Can't you monitore your speed ?"
I woul only reply "No"
In Paris , I already have to monitor, cars, delivery cars, buses, bicycles, kick scooters, kids, tourism buses, motorcycles, pedestrians, tourists a whole bunch of people who you just appear on the road at any instant.
If I drive in a 30 limited area, I would put myself in danger in I drive slowlier (the other ones behind will be mad and can possibly become agressive).
And if I am faster, on top of the danger in represents, I will get caught by all the automatic and mobile cameras - and may loose my drive license.

So NO, I really don't have time to monitor my speedometer. My eyes must stay on the road.

And Yes, I really miss the dynamic speed limiter that I have had in all my previous cars since 2000s

@ElonMusk : HELP please !
How about your ears?

1657551972806.png

Reactions: init6
This dynamic speed limiter is a must here in Europe.

To those who would say " Can't you monitore your speed ?"
I woul only reply "No"
In Paris , I already have to monitor, cars, delivery cars, buses, bicycles, kick scooters, kids, tourism buses, motorcycles, pedestrians, tourists a whole bunch of people who you just appear on the road at any instant.
If I drive in a 30 limited area, I would put myself in danger in I drive slowlier (the other ones behind will be mad and can possibly become agressive).
And if I am faster, on top of the danger in represents, I will get caught by all the automatic and mobile cameras - and may loose my drive license.

So NO, I really don't have time to monitor my speedometer. My eyes must stay on the road.

And Yes, I really miss the dynamic speed limiter that I have had in all my previous cars since 2000s

@ElonMusk : HELP please !
How do you cope with driving a car that doesn’t have it? Are you just not able to do so? Seems like a strange thing to be utterly dependent on, in my opinion. Is it taught during the driving test?

It would be good if Tesla added the feature. They really ought to. That being said, it’s pretty hyperbolic to suggest that it’s “required” to be able to drive safely or competently, and if it isn’t I’d question one’s ability to drive at all.

Reactions: init6
I do understand I might be tricky to catch how driving in Paris can be.

Unlike United States, we have narrow streets, people are parking anywhere and wouldn't care a minute wether they create obstacle on the road.
Police just gave up giving them fines - to them, it feels like trying to empty the ocean with a tea spoon.
And since 9/11 they are mainly concerned by security.

The massive distribution of cameras in the city does the job for them.

As an example : if i get caught 35 km/h instead of 30, I will loose 1 point of my driving license, wich initially has 12 points.
Then it takes 3 years without any mistake to get it back. If you loose the 12... well you have to restart from driving school - and most probably will loose your job.

This sound alert isn't helpfull (nor the actual max speed limit) as it needs to be adjusted from the screen or app wich will take your attention away from the road.
And there is no way you find an area to stop the car in every street corner.
This would happen dozens of time in a single day as the speed limits vary from 20 to 50 from a street to another one.

Thats why it is important to have a dynamic speed limiter that can be adjusted diectly on the wheels (or by a tap on the actual speed excactly the same way we do with autopilot).
I drove more than 5000 km in USA, and there is no comparing beteween L.A or N.Y and Paris. Really.
When you learn driving in Paris city, you can even drive in Cairo.

@Durzel : its been more than 20 years that I drive cars with this speed limiter feature.
But trafic in Paris really changed.
Meantime, the politics of Paris city council took loads of measures to kick cars away from the city - making driver's lifes impossible. And it is officially assumed to be as is.

Reducing the width of the roads by creating bike lanes, and bus lanes.
Also drastically reducing the parking areas.

These decisions generated never seen before trafic jams. People get exceeded, and the less educated ones (unfortunately more and more of these) would stop anywhere. Then the other ones have to slalom in the remaining space.

Wich remaining space has to be shared with everything that has wheel(s) + pedestrians, pets.

Any parisian driver reading this post will confirm my words.

@pdk42 : yes certainly - buy I keep hope ;-)

The solution may be coming from the european parlement as it seems that some deputees are starting to talk about having this feature mandatory in all (new) cars using the european road network. In this case an simple update will make me - and many other ones happy.
The ones who don't see the utility of the speed limiter, would just not use it.

We get sometimes more useless updates than this.

@Durzel : there are a lot of death from the traffic every year in Paris -
In 2021 - 5077 wounded - 45 death

I would suggest that many of this could have been avoided with better infrastructure, law enforcement... and any device/system that will help the driver to stay focused at all times - as these options are more realistic than re-educating the people

Even with the 20.5 update?
Even in circumstances where the car does change speed in response to speed limit signs there remains the problem of the car only switching well after passing the sign. In our area this could mean driving at 60mph in a 20mph zone before starting to slow down (if you were crazy enough to let this happen). Instant loss of license is my prediction.

Reactions: browellm
Even in circumstances where the car does change speed in response to speed limit signs there remains the problem of the car only switching well after passing the sign. In our area this could mean driving at 60mph in a 20mph zone before starting to slow down (if you were crazy enough to let this happen). Instant loss of license is my prediction.
The car displays the current speed limit and not "what is upcoming". It is the driver's responsibility to slow down and match the speed before passing sign. FSD Beta could mimic a driver to slow down automatically before passing the sign but this is not available outside the US yet.

Unlike United States, we have narrow streets, people are parking anywhere and wouldn't care a minute wether they create obstacle on the road.
Police just gave up giving them fines - to them, it feels like trying to empty the ocean with a tea spoon.

As an example : if i get caught 35 km/h instead of 30, I will loose 1 point of my driving license, wich initially has 12 points.
Then it takes 3 years without any mistake to get it back. If you loose the 12... well you have to restart from driving school - and most probably will loose your job.

This sound alert isn't helpfull (nor the actual max speed limit) as it needs to be adjusted from the screen or app wich will take your attention away from the road.
This would happen dozens of time in a single day as the speed limits vary from 20 to 50 from a street to another one.

Thats why it is important to have a dynamic speed limiter that can be adjusted diectly on the wheels (or by a tap on the actual speed excactly the same way we do with autopilot).
I drove more than 5000 km in USA, and there is no comparing beteween L.A or N.Y and Paris. Really.

@Durzel : its been more than 20 years that I drive cars with this speed limiter feature.
Meantime, the politics of Paris city council took loads of measures to kick cars away from the city - making driver's lifes impossible. And it is officially assumed to be as is.

These decisions generated never seen before trafic jams. People get exceeded, and the less educated ones (unfortunately more and more of these) would stop anywhere. Then the other ones have to slalom in the remaining space.

Wich remaining space has to be shared with everything that has wheel(s) + pedestrians, pets.

The solution may be coming from the european parlement as it seems that some deputees are starting to talk about having this feature mandatory in all (new) cars using the european road network. In this case an simple update will make me - and many other ones happy.

As someone regularly driving in Paris, or any European city really, I can confirm. The lack of a proper speed limiter is the only thing keeping me from buying a m3.

Would love to hear if there is a third party solution!

As someone who regularly drives in Paris traffic, or any European city really, I can concur. The lack of a proper speed limiter is the only thing keeping me from buying a m3.

If there's any third party solution, I'd love to hear so!

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
The sign reading is still pretty ropey, confusing non-signs or signs situated on side roads and coming up with completely the wrong idea of the speed limit. I wouldn't want to rely on it for anything.

Speed limiter though, yeah we need that.. since the car can already do it through the app I'm always a bit surprised at the reluctance to add it.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
I've driven in Berlin many times, never had an issue. Their speed fines are so low though so that helps....

Last time i visited Paris was over 20 years ago and it was chaos then with the extremely poor driving standards, i can only imagine what it's like now, i have no intention of ever going back.