Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do we get Tesla to add a speed limiter feature

simonh

Sep 21, 2020
Leeds, UK
I really miss the speed limiter of my Mercedes. It was just so handy.

There just doesn't seem to be a feature that is useful in Tesla. The speed limiter beep can only be set at a fixed number rather than % which is an obvious oversight. Secondly, it works from the data it gathers from maps and signs which is no real use as it is so inaccurate and can pickup side street 20mph signs even when travelling on the main road. Using TACC is just useless. Too much phantom or emergency braking and unreliable for use in 20-30mph area.

I just want the control to set a speed limiter manually!

It would be good if it was an option for the stick and right scroll wheels to act as TACC or a SpeedLimiter as in the Mercedes. We need some control over the car because it isn't as smart as it thinks!

Reactions: DenkiJidousha

Dilly

Feb 24, 2020
Norfolk
I really miss the speed limiter of my Mercedes. It was just so handy.

There just doesn't seem to be a feature that is useful in Tesla. The speed limiter beep can only be set at a fixed number rather than % which is an obvious oversight. Secondly, it works from the data it gathers from maps and signs which is no real use as it is so inaccurate and can pickup side street 20mph signs even when travelling on the main road. Using TACC is just useless. Too much phantom or emergency braking and unreliable for use in 20-30mph area.

I just want the control to set a speed limiter manually!

It would be good if it was an option for the stick and right scroll wheels to act as TACC or a SpeedLimiter as in the Mercedes. We need some control over the car because it isn't as smart as it thinks!
I’m with you on that as are many, many others. It seems the best bet is for the UK contingent to tweet Elon en masse.
Sadly, I don’t do Twitter.

Zakalwe

Oct 16, 2020
UK
There is a speed limiter in the app and also in the car. The only thing is that it also engages Chill mode.

It's not a patch on the Merc system though.

upload_2021-2-27_13-45-4.png

M3BlueGeorgia

Dec 10, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I guess it will only happen for us here when US roads are full of speed cameras like the U.K. Until then the problem doesn’t exist!
Speed limit "knowledge" is a lot better than it was a year ago.

It is still a long way from complete, and that affects all counties, but in different ways. The USA is affected by the same errors in estimating the current legal speed limit, plus the current software is completely blind to time-of-day speed limits, such as near schools.

At least now we have the ability to set the warning tone point to be different from the default percent.

Example of school speed limits: For about 300 yds on a divided highway next to a school, the limit drops to 25mph from the normal 45mph for about an hour twice each weekday when school is in session.

Dilly

Feb 24, 2020
Norfolk
There is a speed limiter in the app and also in the car. The only thing is that it also engages Chill mode.

It's not a patch on the Merc system though.

View attachment 640497
Unfortunately it’s not a ‘proper’ speed limiter’. It’s just a useless chime similar to that fitted in my prehistoric 2012 Prius.
My last 3 cars all had one as standard which actually limited speed.
If only Elon would get rid of the plethora of useless games and utilise the CPU to do useful things and do them properly which we desperately need.
I truly don’t need a games console with four wheels and phantom braking. Does he even what it really is?

ParHunter

Nov 2, 2020
Surrey, UK
I actually use the adaptive cruise control in villages with 30 mph (where you get the most speed cameras) or where I know there are lots of cameras around.
I had the chime on but that is just too annoying. The visual feedback is too subtle though IMHO.

Reactions: WarpedOne

AndrewGR

Oct 18, 2019
Oxfordshire, UK

This feature isn’t much use when the main concern is speeding in villages etc. Apart from being a hassle to engage, the minimum speed is 50. Typically I would want to engage, say, 30 as a maximum speed but have the ability to drive more slowly when appropriate. TACC is of some use now it can be set to current speed but doesn’t permit slowing down without disengaging. Although it may stop you if there is a parked car you want to drive round!

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC