Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do we get Tesla to add a speed limiter feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really miss the speed limiter of my Mercedes. It was just so handy.

There just doesn't seem to be a feature that is useful in Tesla. The speed limiter beep can only be set at a fixed number rather than % which is an obvious oversight. Secondly, it works from the data it gathers from maps and signs which is no real use as it is so inaccurate and can pickup side street 20mph signs even when travelling on the main road. Using TACC is just useless. Too much phantom or emergency braking and unreliable for use in 20-30mph area.

I just want the control to set a speed limiter manually!

It would be good if it was an option for the stick and right scroll wheels to act as TACC or a SpeedLimiter as in the Mercedes. We need some control over the car because it isn't as smart as it thinks!

I really miss the speed limiter of my Mercedes. It was just so handy.

There just doesn't seem to be a feature that is useful in Tesla. The speed limiter beep can only be set at a fixed number rather than % which is an obvious oversight. Secondly, it works from the data it gathers from maps and signs which is no real use as it is so inaccurate and can pickup side street 20mph signs even when travelling on the main road. Using TACC is just useless. Too much phantom or emergency braking and unreliable for use in 20-30mph area.

I just want the control to set a speed limiter manually!

It would be good if it was an option for the stick and right scroll wheels to act as TACC or a SpeedLimiter as in the Mercedes. We need some control over the car because it isn't as smart as it thinks!
I’m with you on that as are many, many others. It seems the best bet is for the UK contingent to tweet Elon en masse.
Sadly, I don’t do Twitter.

There is a speed limiter in the app and also in the car. The only thing is that it also engages Chill mode.

It's not a patch on the Merc system though.

upload_2021-2-27_13-45-4.png

I guess it will only happen for us here when US roads are full of speed cameras like the U.K. Until then the problem doesn’t exist!
Speed limit "knowledge" is a lot better than it was a year ago.

It is still a long way from complete, and that affects all counties, but in different ways. The USA is affected by the same errors in estimating the current legal speed limit, plus the current software is completely blind to time-of-day speed limits, such as near schools.

At least now we have the ability to set the warning tone point to be different from the default percent.

Example of school speed limits: For about 300 yds on a divided highway next to a school, the limit drops to 25mph from the normal 45mph for about an hour twice each weekday when school is in session.

There is a speed limiter in the app and also in the car. The only thing is that it also engages Chill mode.

It's not a patch on the Merc system though.

View attachment 640497
Unfortunately it’s not a ‘proper’ speed limiter’. It’s just a useless chime similar to that fitted in my prehistoric 2012 Prius.
My last 3 cars all had one as standard which actually limited speed.
If only Elon would get rid of the plethora of useless games and utilise the CPU to do useful things and do them properly which we desperately need.
I truly don’t need a games console with four wheels and phantom braking. Does he even what it really is?

This feature isn’t much use when the main concern is speeding in villages etc. Apart from being a hassle to engage, the minimum speed is 50. Typically I would want to engage, say, 30 as a maximum speed but have the ability to drive more slowly when appropriate. TACC is of some use now it can be set to current speed but doesn’t permit slowing down without disengaging. Although it may stop you if there is a parked car you want to drive round!

I think this is the feature I miss most from my old cars - at least my Nissan Leaf has a speed limiter, which I still use heavily in urban driving.

Meanwhile in Tesla land I try to use TACC instead. On the way home last night, dusk at 10pm, suddenly found that TACC / AutoSteer would not engage at all - warning about the front camera visibility. I thought it could have been a combination of sea mist and street lights, but on getting home it looked like a smear on the windscreen especially over the camera. I didn't actually want or need TACC since the roads were quiet, I wanted to cruise at the limit without accidentally speeding.

My point is a dynamic speed limiter could be available regardless of the cameras - although I can see Tesla might want to be fancy and have it automatically respect the road legal limits too.

So long as there is a quick way to override. Could also help with the chimes, click the screen to silence for a few minutes.

I have several roads nearby where it is clearly national speed limit but the car thinks it's 30. The chimes become very annoying.

So long as there is a quick way to override. Could also help with the chimes, click the screen to silence for a few minutes.

I have several roads nearby where it is clearly national speed limit but the car thinks it's 30. The chimes become very annoying.

Am override system would let the car report back when the drivers think maps are wrong and hence it it possible to focus map improvement on the correct locations. Maybe even let a car owner override the speeds in the map in just their own car, so the car does what the owner wants.

With the possible exception of when I had a space saver on, so I set my car limit to 50mph which was kind of handy, although weird to be speeding up the slip road and then just hitting this inviisble power limit stopping me dead at 50, I really don't want anything more than this on my car.

I'm quite capable of reading the road signs myself and keeping an eye on my speedo. What with talk of new cars having enforced speed limiters, how far away are we from the car automatically being hamstrung in certain situations?

I'd rather have full control and just not speed tbh. But each to their own.

You do have full control. My old Merc had this feature and if you set 50 it would stick at 50 however if you momentarily hard press the accelerator it would disengage accelerate. I had zero safety issues with it in 4 years.

If you don’t want to use the feature simply don’t enable it.
Same with my Honda CRV, very useful for the 30mph speed limit in town

Reactions: DenkiJidousha