Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much would you pay for Supercharging on Model 3?

How much would you pay for long-distance supercharging?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well... that still sounds a little vague to me. Yes, the car can be Supercharged. But is it free?

On the Model S page, it says "Free long distance travel using Tesla's Supercharger network". Pretty clear statement. But then there really isn't much detail of any type on the Model 3 page yet. Time will tell.

€0.25 per kwh (which is what I pay at home per kwh).

So a single 50 kwh charge would cost €12.50.

Or something like €0.10 per kwh plus €2.50 for each 15min of charging.

Flatrates are bad because
1) they result in wasted energy and as long as part of this energy is coming from filthy nuclear or coal power plants this is bad for the planet.
2) they are super unfair because why should people who charge nearly 100% at home pay for some uber driver's costs.

Many states within the United States only allow for utility companies to charge for electricity. Therefore Tesla can't charge per kWh use but would have to come up with some other means of charging.

------

There are a couple of issues regarding the supercharging network. First Tesla has made it very clear that the Supercharging Centers are intended for mid to long trips and not for everyday charging. Therefore before buying a Tesla a person needs to take this into consideration. I use to live in West Palm Beach. City garages had charging capability. As a city resident you could purchase parking for $50 per month which is a very reasonable amount especially since you can charge your car while you park. I know a lot of the cities in southern Florida provide this type of charging capability. But if you live in an apartment or condo and do not have the ability to charge at home and there are no other places to get free charging you have two options. Pay for charging or don't buy a Tesla. It is that simple. You need to be doing this analysis now. People think they will be able to charge at a Tesla Supercharger in their local area and Tesla will not know. Because the Tesla car is computerized and connected via 4G/3G to the Internet, Tesla knows whenever you use the charger. They have already sent out warnings to people who regularly use their local chargers that this is not the purpose of these chargers. At any time they want they can and probably will turn these people off from using their local charger, as they should, as they are taking up charging spots and causing long wait time for those who should be using the Chargers. If you live in a condo you should already be working with your condo association on getting charging capability. Don't wait until you buy a Tesla. I am sure there will be a some type of initial fee probably $1,000 to $2,000 plus a monthly fee. This is only fair. People who put chargers in at their home pay $1,500-$2500 plus an increase in their electric bill.

Next, as we are all aware Tesla has said the Model 3 has supercharging CAPABILITY but they did not say it will be free. Most Model S and Model X owners either paid the $2500 or the $2500 cost was built into the price of the car. It is only fair if Model 3 owners want the capability to use the Supercharging network they should pay the $2500. This helps fund the expansion of the supercharging network to cover the additional 500,000+ cars. It would be unfare to the Model S and X owners to charge Model 3 owners less for the same service.

If it's gonna be per use, $25 is way too high for only 215 miles of range. That would be close to 3x what I pay for gas right now getting 30mpg.
Even to completely fill a 290 mile range battery pack from zero should only be about $15.00 max (at today's prices). I would only use the SC for long-ish trips once or twice a year (LA to SF). So I could see maybe a $1000 added to the purchase price of the car for unlimited use, otherwise billing on a per use basis makes the most sense for me.

Even to completely fill a 290 mile range battery pack from zero should only be about $15.00 max (at today's prices). I would only use the SC for long-ish trips once or twice a year (LA to SF). So I could see maybe a $1000 added to the purchase price of the car for unlimited use, otherwise billing on a per use basis makes the most sense for me.
This philosophy assumes that Tesla would only charge for their cost of electricity, or, at a minimum, the cost that the average consumer pays. Huh? Why would they do that? Shouldn't they charge for their cost, mark it up a bit to make it at least a tiny bit profitable, and finally, incorporate the cost to build and maintain their SC network? If the cost is made only a tiny bit more than what it would cost at home, people will use it willy-nilly. If people do not want to pay upfront, their cost use of the SC network should at a premium. This is kind of like buying a season pass at a ski resort. Mammoth charges $749 a season if you buy in advance. Not too shabby for a season. I skied 14 days this year, so my cost was $53/day. The daily lift ticket price is $135. So, people have a choice. If they do not intend to use the SC a lot, they can pay a premium for the rare times they use it, and not really sweat it. $50/use to access it maybe 10 times a year? Easy. Use it a lot, buy a season pass!

Most Model S and Model X owners either paid the $2500 or the $2500 cost was built into the price of the car. It is only fair if Model 3 owners want the capability to use the Supercharging network they should pay the $2500. .

It looks like the Model 3 will already have the Supercharger hardware built in. For the early Model Ss, the $2,500 covered both the cost of the Supercharger hardware and the lifetime use of the Supercharger network. So, IF Tesla charges extra for the use of the network on the Model 3, then it would seem reasonable to charge something less than $2,500. Time will tell...

• Informative
Reactions: alseTrick
At the shareholders meeting today, Elon made it pretty clear that the base Model 3 would not include free lifetime Supercharging.
I agree. It definitely will not, but my impression is that there will be an option to purchase "Supercharging for life" when you purchase the car. If you don't, you will pay every time you use a Supercharger. Which seems reasonable.

Reactions: Jaff
7:51 p.m. -- Musk says Superchargers won't be free for Model 3, its mass-market electric car next year, unless people buy an optional package that includes it. He says people should charge their cars where they charge their phones -- not at a gas station. They need to value their time.

Option A: $.20/kWh and less lines, minimal cost built into the car.

Option B: Free but you would end up paying for it the cost of the car, longer lines when I would only use it 6 times a year.

Seems like for a homeowner driving average miles that a pay per use is the way to go.

its interesting to note he says it will still cost less than the cost to travel with a gasoline powered car. However, this is pretty vague.

1) depending on your local gas and electric prices cost to travel a mile varies throughout the country. (eGallon) so if its a pay per use will the rate vary depending on location?
2) is musk including hybrid cars which are paritlally powered by gasoline in his comment?
3) is this optional package for supercharging a pay per use or a pay per year/mo/day or pay one time upfront

Option A: $.20/kWh and less lines, minimal cost built into the car.

Option B: Free but you would end up paying for it the cost of the car, longer lines when I would only use it 6 times a year.

Seems like for a homeowner driving average miles that a pay per use is the way to go.

There are many states where the power company is the only entity that can sell electricity. This prevents Tesla or any other charging network from pricing by the kWh. They would instead have to charge by the minute which is unfortunate because the amount of charge you get varies wildly based on the taper. A reasonable about could be about $0.25 / minute however as it would encourage people to move on when they had enough charge. That should still be less expensive than gasoline as well unless you wait for a full 100% charge.

per-use plans are antithetical to Tesla's mission....
Keep it simple, folks. It's not rocket science.
I fail to see how "per-use" plans are inherently antithetical to "Tesla's mission". In any case, I agree that the pricing model should be kept simple.

The mechanical process of Supercharging should stay the same. Just roll in and plug in. No further authentication should be needed. Easy. Any per-use billing should be automatically performed by Tesla onto the credit card associated with the car owner's Tesla website account.

CCS is moving toward supporting this kind of automated authentication as well so that drivers may no longer have to get out their wallets to wave a ChargePoint RFID card.

Elon Musk stated in his keynote for the Model 3 reveal:
"All Model 3s will come with Supercharging as Standard."

This is clear - Standard means no charge. He didn't say Supercharging Capable.

If he goes back on his word, I may end up canceling both of my Model 3 orders.

He said that "the reason Supercharging is important is that it gives you freedom to travel."
He also said he is going to double the Superchargers by the end of next year.

We'll see if they go back on what they promised.

While he didn't say "Supercharging Capable" that is what the slide on the screen behind him said while he was talking about it.

Supercharging will be "standard" in that the necessary hardware and software will be in the car and enabled, but you will have to pay to use the actual Supercharger network. (Though you likely won't have to pay extra to be able to use the CHAdeMO network, besides an adapter.) Which can be to buy lifetime access separately or as part of an option package. (Likely included in the larger battery.)

What we don't know is if/what pay-per-use, or subscription, option(s) will be available, or what any of it will cost.

People who ordered the Model 3 have an argument that they were defrauded into ordering the Model 3 by saying Supercharging is standard and then being charged for it.

Supercharging is important. I would not buy a Tesla unless it came with Supercharging as standard.

Maybe that is true, so I guess it is a good thing that nobody has ordered a Model 3. They have put down a deposit/reservation to get in line to order one once all the details are finalized and released.

So it sounds like you won't be ordering a Model 3, so we can chalk two more cancellations.

Supercharging will be "standard" in that the necessary hardware and software will be in the car and enabled, but you will have to pay to use the actual Supercharger network.

So if you bought a computer which said "Wordprocessing standard" would you expect to have to pay extra for a wordprocessing program?

The website by the way currently says "Supercharging", the "capable" was removed.

Thank you kindly.

• Disagree
Reactions: CmdrThor
So if you bought a computer which said "Wordprocessing standard" would you expect to have to pay extra for a wordprocessing program?

The website by the way currently says "Supercharging", the "capable" was removed.

Thank you kindly.

I am sure the website will be updated once the details of the supercharging plan options are released. Based on Elons tweet, we should find out soon what those options are. Yes, some people will be angry, but that's why the reservations are 100% refundable until we configure (at which point we will know what car we are actually ordering)

The statement is sort of like the one for the Model S, "Model S comes standard with a 48 amp (220V) onboard charger". But if you only have a 15 amp 110V outlet, you'll not be able to take advantage of the extra capability.

Or for your computer example, think of it as a statement like, "32GB RAM capacity", but only comes with 4GB.

It's actually a bonus that Tesla seems to NOT be charging for the extra cost of putting in the Supercharging circuitry in even the base Model 3. When the Leaf came out, they charged a LOT for their fast DC charging port...without any free electron juice.