Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much would you pay for Supercharging on Model 3?

How much would you pay for long-distance supercharging?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd love a pay per minute or $25/use model or something. I'd almost never use it. I can think of one work trip I take annually that's 180 miles each way that I'd like to use it versus borrow my husband's car. Honestly, I'd prefer it wasn't built into the price of the car and maybe give us another perk of some sort instead.

There's threads on facebook groups and such about people planning to abuse the network (if included) because they live in apartments and whatnot.

If you live in an apartment and don't have access to an outlet where you park, using the network is not an abuse.

A difference price per Supercharger, with $1 more each time than the previous time you used that particular Supercharger, capped at $50.

So first time you're pay $0
Next time you pay $1
Next time you pay $2
Next time you pay $3
etc.

This is per Supercharger, so if you go to another Supercharger, that one will start at $0.

This allows pretty much free long distance, but will discourage local charging.

If you want local charging because you live in an Apartment etc. you can buy a timeshare on a specific local supercharger which gives you free charging for specific hours of the week, and only those hours. As a plus, nobody else can use your Supercharger during those hours - so it's always available for you. And like a timeshare, premium hours have different prices than non-premium hours.

A difference price per Supercharger, with $1 more each time than the previous time you used that particular Supercharger, capped at $50.

So first time you're pay $0
Next time you pay $1
Next time you pay $2
Next time you pay $3
etc.

This is per Supercharger, so if you go to another Supercharger, that one will start at $0.

This allows pretty much free long distance, but will discourage local charging.

If you want local charging because you live in an Apartment etc. you can buy a timeshare on a specific local supercharger which gives you free charging for specific hours of the week, and only those hours. As a plus, nobody else can use your Supercharger during those hours - so it's always available for you. And like a timeshare, premium hours have different prices than non-premium hours.

How your model work in case you need to use the same supercharger going both ways? Assuming you don't need/can use any other SpC in between? And is it ever reset to $0?

Reactions: ElectricIAC
How about an option for per kWh? I'd be happy to do it that way, just charge me 20 cents per kWh and I'm good. Flat fee per charge just means people will sit there hogging the station to get their $$ worth. Give folks an incentive to charge up just what you need, and then get out of the way fr the next guy. Then Tesla can just send me a bill every month or quarter for what I actually used.

• Informative
Pay-per-use SC's would be a huge blow to the EV market. ICE drivers would point and shout "See I told you it couldn't be done!"

Newspapers would throw out articles explaining how EV's will drive up the cost of electricity and that it will become the new oil. Just look at the crap that's out there now.

Big oil is just waiting for something like that to exploit.

I would have no issue buying a larger battery with lifetime SCing, but only if free forEVer, as promised.

I would like to see a model that says "first 20 minutes are free" then you pay USD 25 (= significantly cheaper than gas) up to 2 hours. Beyond that it is 150 USD/hour

This will make sure you "always get home for free". The ones that either block the SC or use it more than for the occasional road trip pay quite a bit. I think something like this would be great for those who the SC network was intended for and discourage abuse.

• Disagree
I would like to see a model that says "first 20 minutes are free" then you pay USD 25 (= significantly cheaper than gas) up to 2 hours. Beyond that it is 150 USD/hour

This will make sure you "always get home for free". The ones that either block the SC or use it more than for the occasional road trip pay quite a bit. I think something like this would be great for those who the SC network was intended for and discourage abuse.

So can I just unplug and replug back in to start the 20 minutes over? Do I have to wait 10 minutes? 2 hours?

Also, I don't think 20 minutes will be enough to "always get home for free".

Traditional livery are easily segmented because, unlike non-garaged locals who might SC 1x/week, or garaged locals who just seem to get thrown under the bus constantly, taxis will SC daily or multiple times daily. I've met 'em - they'll drive 50,000 miles or more annually. If anyone's going to SC daily, it's livery. Not locals, garaged or otherwise.

And by definition, a local who travels out of town is no longer local. Leave the locals alone - they're not, nor will be a significant problem for many years, if ever. It is worth noting that most don't and won't use SCs, and that 95%+ of SCs are emmmmmmpty.
While there are some locations where commercial is the main problem (like San Mateo), there are also plenty of examples where garaged locals are the clear problem. I don't think they should get a free pass (since that will leave the problem unsolved). The California ones are the most common with locals (Gilroy first, but then same issues with Vacaville).
Supercharger Crowding?
[Rant] locals clogging the Highland Park, IL supercharger

I think the main reason why locals tend to be more of a problem is because they tend to be the main ones doing longer shopping (while those on a long trip or even commercial drivers need to leave for their trips, so wouldn't be as likely to overstay).

And general, no one should get a free pass (commercial, local, or long distance drivers) for overstaying at superchargers. Tesla needs to reinforce the idea that this is charging station, not a parking spot.

So can I just unplug and replug back in to start the 20 minutes over? Do I have to wait 10 minutes? 2 hours?

Also, I don't think 20 minutes will be enough to "always get home for free".

I was considering to add the "fine print" i.e. recharging for less than 150 USD / hour less than 3x per day; 10x per month; at least 50 miles driven between charging events or so... I would need access to today's typical super charger times / the model 3 charging characteristics etc. to give you a more definitive answer.

The key point of my post was: I think it would be great if there is a "free but very time-limited" option to help in the "top-up a little" cases for driving less than 400 miles one way. Then I think there should be a very reasonably priced "road trip" option and a "don't block superchargers with your car" disincentive.

• Funny
Pay-per-use SC's would be a huge blow to the EV market. ICE drivers would point and shout "See I told you it couldn't be done!"

Newspapers would throw out articles explaining how EV's will drive up the cost of electricity and that it will become the new oil. Just look at the crap that's out there now.

Big oil is just waiting for something like that to exploit.

I would have no issue buying a larger battery with lifetime SCing, but only if free forEVer, as promised.
I don't think so. There's nothing mind-blowing about paying for your own "fuel". I do it now with my i3 when I hit certain DCFCs. What couldn't be done? I don't think it will be nearly as big a deal as you make it out to be. Not to mention, a buyer can save a $2k built in upfront charge for use, like the S and X have now, which would be great for those of us that would never get that much use out of them.

I don't think so. There's nothing mind-blowing about paying for your own "fuel". I do it now with my i3 when I hit certain DCFCs. What couldn't be done? I don't think it will be nearly as big a deal as you make it out to be. Not to mention, a buyer can save a $2k built in upfront charge for use, like the S and X have now, which would be great for those of us that would never get that much use out of them.

My point is (and I may not have made it very well), that it was said by Elon himself, it will be free forever. Basically making it a promise.

Breaking promises will have consequences.

Someone pointed out an interesting fact to me. With the amount of kWh Tesla would use, they should qualify for massive discounts, bringing the cost price of their electricity further down.

Google search on High Volume Electricity Cost:
http://www.ecofys.com/files/files/e...city-costs-of-energy-intensive-industries.pdf

Note: these prices don't include expanding and maintaining the SuC network.
Doesn't seem like it would apply to Tesla very much. Only their factory in Fremont might qualify, but their supercharger stations are spread across different states in the US (and different countries) and different power suppliers. As a unit, a supercharge station isn't necessarily that large a consumer of power (and in many cases there are extra demand charges for high power demands measured in kW).

My point is (and I may not have made it very well), that it was said by Elon himself, it will be free forever. Basically making it a promise.

Breaking promises will have consequences.
I don't think he's ever said this about the Model 3. Really, a pay-per-use model will be the only realistic way of managing the 100s of thousands of Teslas in the wild in a few years. The all-you-can eat smorgasbord was a great PR tool when you were selling mere thousands of $100k+ cars that are sharing a system that is scoped out for far more. Yes, THEY (grandfathered) will probably have free (prepaid) use forever, but we're about to start playing a whole different game here. Elon wants people to charge at home, this is how you encourage them to do it. Can you imagine what the line at a gas station in town would look like, if it was just offering gas for half price, let alone free? That's what Supercharger stations will look like in 2020 if the model doesn't change. I don't want that, so please charge me for my use!

.. Really, a pay-per-use model will be the only realistic way of managing the 100s of thousands of Teslas in the wild in a few years.

Pricing
I'm not sure why. Obviously there will be users that travel more than others, and obviously there will be those who can't charge at home. However, this doesn't change the average mileage of the entire fleet. After buying your EV, you won't suddenly see a massive increase in the average mileage.

Therefore, I would think that providing unlimited* charging isn't that impossible nor expensive to offer.

* fair use policy / within reason

# charging points:
I'm also a firm believer that general demand will create an oppurtunity for companies/(and government) to fill in the gaps.

Some growth numbers for The Netherlands (you may need to Google Translate it - it's in Dutch):
Cijfers elektrisch vervoer | RVO.nl

From that URL, the growth of charging point over the last 5 years (please keep in mind NL is a small country).
Also note the 2016 numbers are year-to-date (end of year might be leaning towards 15,000-16,000)

aantal%20laadpunten.png