Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to add a HEPA filter to your non-Bioweapon facelift Model S!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I had a hunch because the frunks were the same size even if you didn't order bio-weapon, that Tesla to save production costs put in the Bio-Weapon filtration system in, but just didn't add a filter, I was right.

Youtube comment gave a great place to buy the actual filter in the correct size (14"x27.5"x1") Custom Air Filters for Hard-to-find AC Filter Sizes | Filter Buy cost is $21.89
And shipping is free. Great string. Thanks to all.

So I had a hunch because the frunks were the same size even if you didn't order bio-weapon, that Tesla to save production costs put in the Bio-Weapon filtration system in, but just didn't add a filter, I was right.

Youtube comment gave a great place to buy the actual filter in the correct size (14"x27.5"x1") Custom Air Filters for Hard-to-find AC Filter Sizes | Filter Buy cost is $21.89

Congratulations on figuring this out but past the title the reality is that a private citizen has zero use of this mode. By design, bio weapons are invisible and air filtration systems that can deal with the virus cannot work on cars. Still, extra filtration is welcomed in our increasing polluted air. Thanks.

I may be mistaken, but I think you have the filter in backwards. Usually the metal wire side goes on the output side of the filter. It's there to help support the shape of the filter so that it doesn't get sucked into the furnace. It looks like you have the metal wire side towards the intake side of the filter box. But great video and thanks for figuring it out!

It adds the FILTER not the mode, all the mode does is boost the fan for a second or 2 thats IT.
I don't believe that's correct...
How could it create positive pressure on recirc? It brings in outside air through the hepa filter.

My understanding has always been that Bioweapon mode uses both fresh air intake and recirculate in the same style of most new "tight" homes. I want to be clear that I could be wrong about this, but having built a foam insulated home, we had to ensure positive pressure. To do so, our air handler would not only recirculate house air, it had an inline fan in a dedicated duct to the outdoors. That fan ran during specific times when the air handler was active, thereby forcing outside air to be filtered and distributed into the house. It made little sense, however, to draw in outside air only. You have filtered, conditioned air already in the house. To add more particulates into the filter and have to recondition outside air is an extremely inefficient practice.

Vehicle cabins are much smaller. But many of the same principles exist, which is why I have always assumed Tesla is doing what is industry standard in homes today.

Last edited:
Wow that filter is much more intense then the standard one I have added in mine, can you provide close up pictures of the edges of the seal for us, it may actually be worth it to get that filter, the one I have def works, but that seems on a whole new level!

I couldn't really get a good picture of the seal. It appears to be very similar to hot glue though. If a suitable replacement filter is found, you could probably cut the old filter out, scrap out the old glue and glue in the new one. Once a replacement is found, I may try that now that I have a spare frame.

Here are some other pictures I took up close. First is a closeup of the filter material itself. It's very dense.
20171017_192111.jpg

This is the back side. The flash makes it actually look darker then it really is. But there does appear to be some carbon on this side.
20171017_192132.jpg

So the new models have only 1 carbon filter? Elon’s presentation showed 1 hepa and 2 different carbon filters for different types of VOC absorption. I’m actually surprised Tesla didn’t shove a TO2 coated UV light in there too.

If you look at my earlier post, I posted a picture of both air filters. The large one goes behind the frunk and the small one is installed behind the glove box. As you can see above, the large one does appear to have carbon too. But there are only two filters total.

How exactly does this create positive pressure, especially in such a lard interior space?

Yes, I understand the point. I imagine ohmman’s description would be the most logical explanation - recirculate the clean interior air while drawing in a percentage of outside air to create positive pressure.

I expect this is likely how most automotive HVAC systems function in practice, with some variable but non-zero percentage of outside air coming in based on the mode setting.

I may be mistaken, but I think you have the filter in backwards. Usually the metal wire side goes on the output side of the filter. It's there to help support the shape of the filter so that it doesn't get sucked into the furnace. It looks like you have the metal wire side towards the intake side of the filter box. But great video and thanks for figuring it out!

Thanks, I'm replacing it with an actual filter this week, I had to do it quickly because we have a lot of smoke from forest fires, so I couldn't wait for the correctly sized one and had to "Hack" one together.

My understanding has always been that Bioweapon mode uses both fresh air intake and recirculate in the same style of most new "tight" homes.

I can confirm there is no way the (Recirculated) air can go thru the HEPA filter again, only outside air goes thru the filter, they MAY be doing that in bio-weapon mode, but we need to find the interior cabin intake and have someone with bio-weapon cover it with paper and see if its sucking in air.

Here are some other pictures I took up close. First is a closeup of the filter material itself. It's very dense..

Thanks for the pics!

Yes, I understand the point. I imagine ohmman’s description would be the most logical explanation - recirculate the clean interior air while drawing in a percentage of outside air to create positive pressure.

I expect this is likely how most automotive HVAC systems function in practice, with some variable but non-zero percentage of outside air coming in based on the mode setting.

I would be curious what the actual APL {air pressure level} difference is between modes and the OSAT { outside air temperature} and at different altitudes.. Is there a spec. Listed for this? I'm tempted to get some sort of meter to test this out

My understanding has always been that Bioweapon mode uses both fresh air intake and recirculate in the same style of most new "tight" homes. I want to be clear that I could be wrong about this, but having built a foam insulated home, we had to ensure positive pressure. To do so, our air handler would not only recirculate house air, it had an inline fan in a dedicated duct to the outdoors. That fan ran during specific times when the air handler was active, thereby forcing outside air to be filtered and distributed into the house. It made little sense, however, to draw in outside air only. You have filtered, conditioned air already in the house. To add more particulates into the filter and have to recondition outside air is an extremely inefficient practice.

Vehicle cabins are much smaller. But many of the same principles exist, which is why I have always assumed Tesla is doing what is industry standard in homes today.
This mixing approach makes sense. Outside of tearing down my car, I could support this thread with other observations maybe. Actuated baffles, as mentioned as behind the scenes actions, may be there.
For sure, diesel fumes are suppressed in my BWD equipped car.

Reactions: Crehop
Also just a heads up to people looking to try this, I did notice looking at pics that the Frunk in the older (but still facelift) Model S looks larger then mine, you must have one of the Facelift Tesla that looks like the one in my video with the very small frunk, confirm your plastic is the same size and shape as in my video with the TESLA logo.

I believe your frunk will be smaller if you have dual motors

1. My understanding is that HEPA filters don't remove smells / gases but do remove particulate matters. So VOCs wouldn't be removed without a carbon filter. 2. Maybe the Tesla has a carbon filter as well though.
1. Is correct!

2. Tesla originally had at least two carbon filters.
If you want protection from toxic fumes you absolutely need the charcoal filters!

For more information about air filters you can poke around on this site, their home filters are excellent:
Welcome to Austin Air | Nothing but clean air.

Austin multi-purpose air purifiers were designated to protect the citizens of Porter Ranch and surrounding areas as SOCAL worked 24/7 to plug a gas leak that erupted on October 23, 2015 spewing 1200 tons of methane into the atmosphere every day.

I'm planning to rig up something similar for our M3's.

I believe that if someone called Elon's attention to the fact that there are significant health benefits to breathing clean air that Tesla would make these filters standard on all Tesla's.

If they want to make money on this, they could give away the system and make up the profits by selling the replacement filters.

Not including them on every vehicle makes no sense either morally or financially.

Last edited:
IMG_2037.JPG
IMG_2041.JPG
IMG_2042.JPG
IMG_2044.JPG
So I put my tesla hepa filter in.
It replaces a piece of the air box. You remove the front piece of the air box and snap in the hepa filter. The hepa filter then has the well nuts on it that the frunk box bolts to. Very easy install maybe 15 minutes.
When I got my filter I asked a guy in service if they could add the bwd mode button. He walked back and asked a tech if it could be done. He said yes they would do it for me. I made an appointment in a few weeks, they are very busy. No charge either. Wait to see what happens.

So I put my tesla hepa filter in.
It replaces a piece of the air box. You remove the front piece of the air box and snap in the hepa filter. The hepa filter then has the well nuts on it that the frunk box bolts to. Very easy install maybe 15 minutes.
When I got my filter I asked a guy in service if they could add the bwd mode button. He walked back and asked a tech if it could be done. He said yes they would do it for me. I made an appointment in a few weeks, they are very busy. No charge either. Wait to see what happens.
Have had my model X for a month now. Debated about adding a HEPA and others that came with the package. Decided against it because of the price. This would be a great addition so this thread is great. Out of curiosity, I called the local Tesla service center in Salt Lake City and asked for a price of the HEPA filter. He asked why I was replacing the old one and so I told him what I was considering. Put me on hold for 5 min and came back and said putting the filter in would not be of much use because I would not be able to initiate the BDMode without the software and they could not do that. He also said there was "duct work" behind the fan that needed to be added. He gave me a quote of $175 for the filter but could not tell me if it came with a collar or holder of some kind or if the dimensions of the filter were in fact 41.5 x 12 x 1. From Ererado's post, I am assuming that they can add the bwd mode button. Just here in SLC they say they won't. Does anyone know if there in fact is duct work that needs to be installed? Also, does the filter from Tesla come with the collar/holder shown in the images or just the filter itself because the X already has the filter collar?