Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to add a HEPA filter to your non-Bioweapon facelift Model S!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys sorry to take this off topic for a moment, but I have a Camaro with No catalytic converters- frees up airflow...600hp Naturally Aspirated.. :)

My problem is at Idle you can smell the exhaust pretty good because my setup, and I’m wondering if adding one of these will help reduce the smell of it creeping in the cabin. Recirculate helps of course but still, it could use some more improvement.

Looks like a lot of disassembly to put an extra filter in. I hope the PUP adds an easier route to filter replacement for service engineers.
I wonder how often the filter need to be replaced and how difficult it would be for the service center to do it?

I wonder if the cars fitted with the PUP have a special trap to access the filter for replacement?

I would be very worrisome if the service center need to perform such dismantlement of the frunk?

For me it look almost as complex as replacing a front engine radiator on an ICE car.

Reactions: PrGrPa
I wonder how often the filter need to be replaced and how difficult it would be for the service center to do it?

I wonder if the cars fitted with the PUP have a special trap to access the filter for replacement?

I would be very worrisome if the service center need to perform such dismantlement of the frunk?

For me it look almost as complex as replacing a front engine radiator on an ICE car.
From my experience so far I think replacing the filter on a pup car would be the same process. The filter material is glued onto a plastic housing that replaces part of the air box. The frunk bolts to the plastic housing that has the hepa glued to it. There would be no way to have an access panel to slide in a new one. Having said that, I know it looks like a lot of work from the pictures but it was very easy. 15 minutes at the most. The only tool I needed was a 10mm socket to remove the 10 or so bolts. Plus 2 plastic push pins.

Have had my model X for a month now. Debated about adding a HEPA and others that came with the package. Decided against it because of the price. This would be a great addition so this thread is great. Out of curiosity, I called the local Tesla service center in Salt Lake City and asked for a price of the HEPA filter. He asked why I was replacing the old one and so I told him what I was considering. Put me on hold for 5 min and came back and said putting the filter in would not be of much use because I would not be able to initiate the BDMode without the software and they could not do that. From Ererado's post, I am assuming that they can add the bwd mode button.

I think they are saying no because they realized you discovered the loophole and kind of don't want to help you I think. Perhaps out of fear of a flood gate opening and more people realizing this. He is not telling the truth...based on what others have said, it seems like you can do bioweapon mode without the button, it's just a few more steps compared to pushing a button (which is a shortcut for all the steps essentially).

Have you tried calling a different service center and see what they say? Perhaps a different location is more lax compared to others like the one you called. Sounds like Ererado's place are more relaxed to these things. Worth calling a different place until you get a Yes.

And I'll say again...this thread is amazing and Crehop deserves massive props for this. Amazing discovery.

If anyone has called already and happens to have a part number for the Model S, that would be awesome to reference when one calls the service center.

He is not telling the truth...based on what others have said, it seems like you can do bioweapon mode without the button, it's just a few more steps compared to pushing a button (which is a shortcut for all the steps essentially).
For the reasons I mentioned above and others, I disagree with your claim that the advisor wasn’t telling the truth.

Additionally, we haven’t figured out whether you can create the same conditions with “a few more steps,” so you shouldn’t say that without our reaching a collective conclusion.

Reactions: GWord and JohnnyG
Awesome post crehop. I have been wondering the same thing. So I just called my service center and ordered the tesla hepa filter for my 17 model s. They told me no problem ordering it even know mine is a non pup. 150 bucks. Not bad.
If I was in this situation, this is definitely the model I would buy, to get the better filtration.
Here is a link to the company that claims to have designed the Tesla filter, along with a bit more description about it. Cabin Air Filters for Electric Cars

I called my local Tesla parts counter and they said that they HEPA filter that fits in my Model S would be $270. They stated that there are two types, an older and a newer one.
Oh. Well, in that case, I'd get the better one, as far as I could. I wonder what's different about the new one (which is almost double the price).

Last edited:
I have ordered the stock filter, I'll document putting it in, I wanted it as it's much better/ more heavy duty then the ones you can get from the filter places, although it is MUCH more expensive, you can add MERV 13 filter for $25 bucks shipped and that will do a great job (I've only smelled deisel one time since adding it) and you don't have to deal with the tesla service people... they start asking a lot of questions lol. It seems you need to get a roll of activated carbon pre filter if you really want to stop any smells, either way if anyone knows someone with bio-weapon, we would love if they can test the recirculating hypothesis, check the intake vent for the recirculating air and see if it's taking in air during bio mode.

@Bebop thanks for the props, I have another hunch I want to check out this weekend.

Cool.

Just to be clear, making the frunk smaller for the far majority of the people that didn't get a HEPA filter was absolutely terrible. A major waste of space that could have been a big positive.
I think one of the biggest functional annoyances of my Model S (RWD, no PuP) is how tiny the frunk is. I absolutely loved the frunk on a P85 service loaner I had a while back ago.
If my notes are correct, for an AP2 MS, the big HEPA filter is 1059333-00-D. The small Carbon filter is 1072736-00-B
Thanks!

Does anyone know if the air goes through the HEPA filter all the time, or if it's only put through the filter when Biodefence is activated. I don't see a point in installing the filter if the air don't pass through it.

Does anyone know if the air goes through the HEPA filter all the time, or if it's only put through the filter when Biodefence is activated. I don't see a point in installing the filter if the air don't pass through it.
After a quick visual inspection of all the duct work, in my opinion as long as you have recirculation off all air will go pass the hepa. The hepa is put at the beginning of the air intake for hvac system. Downstream of the hepa air will pass through the regular cabin filter also.
As I understand it all the bioweapon button does is put the fan on the highest setting that does not trigger full recirculating. Which I believe to be 8 or 9.

View attachment 254794 View attachment 254795 View attachment 254796 View attachment 254797 So I put my tesla hepa filter in.
It replaces a piece of the air box. You remove the front piece of the air box and snap in the hepa filter. The hepa filter then has the well nuts on it that the frunk box bolts to. Very easy install maybe 15 minutes.
When I got my filter I asked a guy in service if they could add the bwd mode button. He walked back and asked a tech if it could be done. He said yes they would do it for me. I made an appointment in a few weeks, they are very busy. No charge either. Wait to see what happens.
Please report back if they do it.

1. Is correct!

2. Tesla originally had at least two carbon filters.
If you want protection from toxic fumes you absolutely need the charcoal filters!

For more information about air filters you can poke around on this site, their home filters are excellent:
Welcome to Austin Air | Nothing but clean air.

Austin multi-purpose air purifiers were designated to protect the citizens of Porter Ranch and surrounding areas as SOCAL worked 24/7 to plug a gas leak that erupted on October 23, 2015 spewing 1200 tons of methane into the atmosphere every day.

I'm planning to rig up something similar for our M3's.

I believe that if someone called Elon's attention to the fact that there are significant health benefits to breathing clean air that Tesla would make these filters standard on all Tesla's.

If they want to make money on this, they could give away the system and make up the profits by selling the replacement filters.

Not including them on every vehicle makes no sense either morally or financially.

Can we also replace our cabin air filter with a charcoal air filter? Would that make the cabin air smell better?

View attachment 254794 View attachment 254795 View attachment 254796 View attachment 254797 So I put my tesla hepa filter in.
It replaces a piece of the air box. You remove the front piece of the air box and snap in the hepa filter. The hepa filter then has the well nuts on it that the frunk box bolts to. Very easy install maybe 15 minutes.
When I got my filter I asked a guy in service if they could add the bwd mode button. He walked back and asked a tech if it could be done. He said yes they would do it for me. I made an appointment in a few weeks, they are very busy. No charge either. Wait to see what happens.
Thank you very much for the info and pictures, Eierardo! Did the piece of the air box (along with the HEPA filter) fit perfectly when you put everything back together? I also ordered the filter today from the SC, and they asked me if I want the whole conversion package (which is $750) or only the filter (which is $150). They said that the conversion package contains additional hardware to have everything fit properly. I can't imagine what in that kit is worth $600, but I am wondering how essential that additional hardware is...

• Informative
Reactions: phaduman and Bebop