Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to add a HEPA filter to your non-Bioweapon facelift Model S!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is "PUP" ? I can tear apart my glove-box to get to the filter and look to make sure.
Premium Upgrade Package..... The Bioweapon Defense Mode (HEPA) has been included in it for a while.

It also says in the PUP description that it includes filtration that 'Blocks offensive odors.... with two activated carbon purififcation filters.'

What we don't know if these are ONLY in cars with PUP, or are in all cars, and the BWDM is simply add the HEPA filter, and some software programming to add the shortcut to turn on the external air at full speed, etc.

I believe it is, since the filter is an easier add for the Service Center to do (back when they were selling the BWDM mode add-on. But we won't know unless some car withOUT PUP is looked at to see if it has the charcoal filters. Which are believed to be behind the glove compartment.

Can this be added to a pre facelift car?

Anyone know if the pre-facelift air path is similar?
I'd imagine you could do this for the pre facelift MS, but the cabin air filter for the pre facelift MS is much smaller (maybe the size of a vhs tape?). Also, if you put in such a high density filter you will have very little airflow through the vents along with lots of positive pressure that the blower will be working against.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
BWD mode is kinda a gimmick. I never use it unless there is something seriously up (like when we first got our car and I didn't want our daughter exposed to the VOCs from the "new car smell"). After 3 minutes, that new car smell was gone. If we eat in the car, 1-2 minutes of BWD mode will clear that out as if no food came in. Skunks -- it works (mostly). Honestly that's it. I haven't encountered bad pollution or whatever and normal HVAC use will filter the air just fine (BWD just pumps fan to max as far as I know).

Tesla says filter is good for 1 year.

In that case, totally worth it buying from a service center because you at least know it’s a HEPA and one that will actually fit.

I for sure will ask about ordering a filter when I take delivery tomorrow of my car.

And to think you’d have to spend $5k just to get this option. Now...I can buy the filter for like $125, maybe an hour or two of my time and then I technically have bioweapon mode. We owe you one Crehop...I would have never ever thought this was possible or even a thing.

And to think you’d have to spend $5k just to get this option. Now...I can buy the filter for like $125, maybe an hour or two of my time and then I technically have bioweapon mode. We owe you one Crehop...I would have never ever thought this was possible or even a thing.

Wow, didn't realize they took most of the upgrades out of the "Premium Upgrades Package" and made them standard.... The premium sound is still nice, and I do use the heated steering wheel, even in NC... But, $5k nice... Hmm...

I will post some pictures when I get it. They told me 1-2 days. I also asked if there was a way to get the bioweapon button. I was told they will look into it. I think the merv 13 custom filter would work very well.
I was actually planning on buying that one. I called the service center planning on them telling me they would not sell it to me. When they said 150 bucks I figured I will give it a try.

• Informative
Reactions: Bebop
Ya all bioweapon "Button" does is boost the fan for 2-3 seconds to create positive pressure then use a normal fan setting, without that button the filter still works as normal, make sure air is set to outside -> cabin flow so it goes thru the filter, then set it to 11 fan speed and it will do the same thin basically
Do not set your fan speed to 11, as this will force cabin air recirculation, which will not use the HEPA filter.

BWD mode is kinda a gimmick. I never use it unless there is something seriously up (like when we first got our car and I didn't want our daughter exposed to the VOCs from the "new car smell"). After 3 minutes, that new car smell was gone. If we eat in the car, 1-2 minutes of BWD mode will clear that out as if no food came in. Skunks -- it works (mostly). Honestly that's it. I haven't encountered bad pollution or whatever and normal HVAC use will filter the air just fine (BWD just pumps fan to max as far as I know).

My understanding is that HEPA filters don't remove smells / gases but do remove particulate matters. So VOCs wouldn't be removed without a carbon filter. Maybe the Tesla has a carbon filter as well though.

In that case, totally worth it buying from a service center because you at least know it’s a HEPA and one that will actually fit.

I for sure will ask about ordering a filter when I take delivery tomorrow of my car.

Anytime, I have another Hunch I'm going to check out this weekend... if I'm right, you'll be hearing about it.

My understanding is that HEPA filters don't remove smells / gases but do remove particulate matters. So VOCs wouldn't be removed without a carbon filter. Maybe the Tesla has a carbon filter as well though.

I think they mean that when they turns it on, VOC's get expelled from the car via positive pressurization and ongoing positive pressure due to outside filtered air entering the vehicle.

Does anyone know if the Model X filter box is designed similarly to the MS? I would love to retro my MX with the BWD filter.

Tear it apart, I am willing to bet it is, unless they didn't standardize the frunk sizes like they did with the S

My understanding is that the refresh S and Xs have 2 carbon filters. I am less technically inclined but I can smell the difference easily. So its the combination of filters (and positive pressurization) that helps. I don't notice as pronounced an effect on smells unless BWD is actually activated but its there (so OP, @Crehop needn't be bothered too much by the lack of BWD mode button but the refresh issue by setting at 11 might be a slight hurdle to recreating it without Tesla's assistance).

Also just a heads up to people looking to try this, I did notice looking at pics that the Frunk in the older (but still facelift) Model S looks larger then mine, you must have one of the Facelift Tesla that looks like the one in my video with the very small frunk, confirm your plastic is the same size and shape as in my video with the TESLA logo.

• Informative
Reactions: selfbp
IMG_2038.PNG
IMG_2037.JPG
Does anyone know if the Model X filter box is designed similarly to the MS? I would love to retro my MX with the BWD filter.
Mx bwd filter is much bigger, and much more rectangular.
I would have thought it to be the same also. I do not know the exact dimensions but I think someone actually sells an aftermarket replacement for the mx.

To add to all of this, I was just at the service center and had ordered a replacement air filter on my face-lift MS with BWD. Sure enough, they wanted $150 for the large filter and $8 for the smaller filter. At first I thought that was crazy for wanting so much for a filter, but once I saw what they put in my trunk, I realized why. Pictured below are both filters I received:
20171017_130025.jpg

You get the whole shroud as well! Upon closer inspection, it appears they glued the filter in. There's no easy way to just swap filter elements. Surprisingly wasteful from Tesla here! I suspect it was glued in to provide a full seal around the filter. Probably necessary to meet full HEPA specs as any leak in the seal would allow particulates through. So if you don't care about true HEPA filtration, then swapping out just the filter element will probably work fine.

For now I plan to check my current filter and see how it's doing after 17k miles. If it still looks pretty good, I may just leave it there for now. At $150 each, I want to get my money's worth!

Wow that filter is much more intense then the standard one I have added in mine, can you provide close up pictures of the edges of the seal for us, it may actually be worth it to get that filter, the one I have def works, but that seems on a whole new level!