Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to add a HEPA filter to your non-Bioweapon facelift Model S!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you very much for the info and pictures, Eierardo! Did the piece of the air box (along with the HEPA filter) fit perfectly when you put everything back together? I also ordered the filter today from the SC, and they asked me if I want the whole conversion package (which is $750) or only the filter (which is $150). They said that the conversion package contains additional hardware to have everything fit properly. I can't imagine what in that kit is worth $600, but I am wondering how essential that additional hardware is...

Do you have a model X? Only x has the "conversion kit" if you don't have X you may need to change your order to the S

• Informative
Reactions: Bebop
Thank you very much for the info and pictures, Eierardo! Did the piece of the air box (along with the HEPA filter) fit perfectly when you put everything back together? I also ordered the filter today from the SC, and they asked me if I want the whole conversion package (which is $750) or only the filter (which is $150). They said that the conversion package contains additional hardware to have everything fit properly. I can't imagine what in that kit is worth $600, but I am wondering how essential that additional hardware is...
This is great news! I have a non pup MX and missed out when this could be ordered online. 6 months ago service center said they can't order it for me, but I'm going to call again tomorrow. Hope my service center offers it!

1.) When you call your store number, do you direct to service or parts when ordering the filter? obviously not sales or delivery.

2.) Is the carbon filter a separate thing? So I'd have to buy the big HEPA white filter for the frunk and then a small carbon filter to make all of this work as intended?

If my notes are correct, for an AP2 MS, the big HEPA filter is 1059333-00-D. The small Carbon filter is 1072736-00-B

That's really useful.

Now all we need to answer the long running question about whether non-PUP cars have the same secondary filter is a post refresh owner without Bioweapon to take their dash apart and get us a part number on the filter that's there now.

(Because of the differences in function and operational environment, I've been one of the stubborn "it'll be different" people.)

Reactions: boaterva
Are there two types of cabin filters...both "standard" and "carbon/activated charcoal"?

I suppose the dilemma being that one can choose to buy the $150 HEPA or $25 MERV 13 filter for the big one in the frunk area is of personal preference (would be fairly unnoticeable to the average person), but is there two different cabin filters which is what would control the smell?

Thanks folks

Are there two types of cabin filters...both "standard" and "carbon/activated charcoal"?

I suppose the dilemma being that one can choose to buy the $150 HEPA or $25 MERV 13 filter for the big one in the frunk area is of personal preference (would be fairly unnoticeable to the average person), but is there two different cabin filters which is what would control the smell?

Thanks folks

if you go the $25 route, you can buy a roll of carbon pre-filter and put it in front for like $15 that will neutralize any odors. Since the MERV 13 restricts less air then a true "HEPA" filter, it should work fine.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/2-X-Cut-to-Fit-Carbon-Pad-for-Air-Purifiers-2/585857972

Thanks folks

This is a very good question. :)

Filters for a lot of cars come in a version with carbon and one without, like my Volt which actually didn't come with one but had both versions available and it was trivial to install one behind the glovebox in the provided holder.

We know the Bioweapon cars have a secondary filter somewhere in the dash that has the two activated carbon elements in it.

At this point, I don't think we have any idea what is in that space in cars without Bioweapon - it might be exactly the same secondary filter, it might be a different filter with some carbon designed to do both, it might be a plain filter with no carbon, or it could even be empty. We've been debating this in various threads for a year or two now, but no definitive answer has appeared.

(My personal guess is the second - they have a filter with carbon elements, but not the same one Bioweapon cars have.)

After a quick visual inspection of all the duct work, in my opinion as long as you have recirculation off all air will go pass the hepa. The hepa is put at the beginning of the air intake for hvac system. Downstream of the hepa air will pass through the regular cabin filter also.
As I understand it all the bioweapon button does is put the fan on the highest setting that does not trigger full recirculating. Which I believe to be 8 or 9.

Which service center do you go to? I called mine, in San Diego, they said that an internal email two weeks ago said to stop offering the retrofit so my SC is not willing to install the hepa filter. They said it costs $175 but the retrofit includes other necessary hardware so they would not order the filter for me. I’m thinking I may see if another SC would be willing to help a customer out.

It’s fruatrating because I’d like to add this option, but I missed out ordering it by 1 day in January when they offered it, have emailed my service center every 2-3 months about it, and suddenly it reappeared and disappeared again before I could get it. Mine is for model X though so not sure if that’s different from model s.

All that said I leave my car in recirculating mode and I’ve read that helps already quite a bit in terms of air pollution in the car, but obviously adding a HEPA filter would be ideal.

if you go the $25 route, you can buy a roll of carbon pre-filter and put it in front for like $15 that will neutralize any odors. Since the MERV 13 restricts less air then a true "HEPA" filter, it should work fine.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/2-X-Cut-to-Fit-Carbon-Pad-for-Air-Purifiers-2/585857972

Great suggestion -- makes sense to do this vs hunt for that 2nd Bioweapon filter somewhere or whatever not. Having the same trouble as others getting Tesla SC (both Van Nuys and Agoura Hills here locally in LA) to sell the $150 version, so the MERV 13 filter with this (using some professional duct tape) should do the trick and again, only us here know what's in that box.

Skipping on the PUP on the recent cars has become an ever better choice I think...DIY filtration and upgraded aftermarket audio I think is a much better value than what they give you for $5k.

Great suggestion -- makes sense to do this vs hunt for that 2nd Bioweapon filter somewhere or whatever not. Having the same trouble as others getting Tesla SC (both Van Nuys and Agoura Hills here locally in LA) to sell the $150 version, so the MERV 13 filter with this (using some professional duct tape) should do the trick and again, only us here know what's in that box.

Skipping on the PUP on the recent cars has become an ever better choice I think...DIY filtration and upgraded aftermarket audio I think is a much better value than what they give you for $5k.

Ya unless you live in the north and can take advantage of the cold weather pack, a marginal stereo improvement (people have done sit in tests and it's hard to tell if it's better) and a bioweapon filter you can buy for 150 or so, it doesn't really make sense... I was able to get my service center to finally give me the filter and now am going to do a video on the Install, I'll post when done

Ya unless you live in the north and can take advantage of the cold weather pack, a marginal stereo improvement (people have done sit in tests and it's hard to tell if it's better) and a bioweapon filter you can buy for 150 or so, it doesn't really make sense... I was able to get my service center to finally give me the filter and now am going to do a video on the Install, I'll post when done
Indeed. I ordered the filter from FilterBuy and arrived today, waiting for the activated charcoal wrap to come next week, and will install that then and see how it goes. Suppose if I'm not happy with the install (which I have no idea what to compare it too...that'll be fun), I'll have to hunt for someone who can help get me the real Tesla one!

Definitely share the video once it's all done :)

I ordered the FilterBuy platinum filter, but subsequently visited the SC and had the Tesla HEPA installed. If anyone wants the platinum filter, I'll give it to you NIB for $10.

By the way, the air is noticably more odor-free with the HEPA. Especially in my neighborhood! :eek: I'm located in Downtown SF (SOMA).

I ordered the FilterBuy platinum filter, but subsequently visited the SC and had the Tesla HEPA installed. If anyone wants the platinum filter, I'll give it to you NIB for $10.

By the way, the air is noticably more odor-free with the HEPA. Especially in my neighborhood! :eek: I'm located in Downtown SF (SOMA).
Any tricks to getting the SC to sell/install it for you?

EDIT: Looks like getting NA service and patching you into the SC is the trick -- the same parts dept that told me no last week told me yes today. Go figure.

Last edited: