Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW4 and Center Horn on 2023 Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not using martial arts on my car just to get it to honk the horn. they need to make the center the activation again.
Our 2015 Honda Crosstour also does not have center horn. The center is the fulcrum point. Activation is only on the right or left edge where you can see the embossed horn symbols.
Screenshot_20230210_055331_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Our 2015 Honda Crosstour also does not have center horn. The center is the fulcrum point. Activation is only on the right or left edge where you can see the embossed horn symbols. View attachment 906678
And I would bet money that if you just hit somewhere in the general vicinity of the buttons, which are near the middle of the steering wheel, that the car honks.

If you wanted to make a similar comparison, Honda should remove one of those horn symbols, and only honk if you used a finger press directly on a 3/8" section around the symbol.

And I would bet money that if you just hit somewhere in the general vicinity of the buttons, which are near the middle of the steering wheel, that the car honks.

If you wanted to make a similar comparison, Honda should remove one of those horn symbols, and only honk if you used a finger press directly on a 3/8" section around the symbol.
Yup, you gotta hit for best results at the embossed horn symbols. The closer you get to the fulcrum point the harder it gets. At the fulcrum point, in the center .... the horn can not be activated.

I just put my whole hand over the the spoke where the horn button is located, and my horn sounds. How is that different?

Reactions: aerodyne
Teardown of Hardware 4 computer from a Palladium Model X courtesy of @verygreen:

Input for 12 cameras (but one is marked "spare" and "Phoenix" radar confirmed)... :oops:

Here's another nail in the coffin for retrofits, the actual HW4 unit won't physically fit in the older cars.

Still not sure why HW3 folks are so worried about this, Tesla in no way guaranteed perpetual hardware upgrades and HW3 is extremely capable, just won't be as good as 4, 5, 6, etc.

Here's another nail in the coffin for retrofits, the actual HW4 unit won't physically fit in the older cars.

Still not sure why HW3 folks are so worried about this, Tesla in no way guaranteed perpetual hardware upgrades and HW3 is extremely capable, just won't be as good as 4, 5, 6, etc.

You should hold out until the 2028 model, they'll have even more things!

Exactly.

As having one of the first refreshed, I have not received a few updates (headlights, taillights, swivel screen, hinges, Steam, etc.) that are currently available. However, having greatly enjoyed almost 70k miles on it in the last 20 months, I would not give up the driving pleasure to wait on these "upgrades".

There will always be an upgrade in "two weeks" with Tesla.

To be fair, every AP hardware has been retrofittable until now.

I have been around the Tesla block a few times, but it still sucks when these big changes come right after buying a new car.
What functionality is it going to give you that would justify repurchasing a new car, beyond 'gotta have the latest greatest'?

Exactly.

As having one of the first refreshed, I have not received a few updates (headlights, taillights, swivel screen, hinges, Steam, etc.) that are currently available. However, having greatly enjoyed almost 70k miles on it in the last 20 months, I would not give up the driving pleasure to wait on these "upgrades".

There will always be an upgrade in "two weeks" with Tesla.
The S headlights REALLY pissed me off from day 1 in my mid-2021, as does the lack of bumper camera in all current Teslas. Heck, the former was solved in the 2022, and the latter annoys me so much I had to install a freaking camera of my own there. About time Tesla does this, but you know it's going to raise some questions. I mean. HW3 and its associated eight cameras are meant to be capable of FSD, right? So now, purportedly twelve cameras and upgraded hardware. What does the mean? Something like this?

With a 2022 Model S, this tricky turn here you'll have an 89% chance of making successfully, but with a mid-2023 you'll have a 97% chance?

Tesla needs to be very careful how they spin this or their stock is going to take a beating.

Reactions: VikH and Nickos
What functionality is it going to give you that would justify repurchasing a new car, beyond 'gotta have the latest greatest'?
I was exaggerating and won't be selling my 2022 MS for a HW4 car. There have only been 3 hardware versions of AP since 2014. Tesla has had the same camera placement/configuration since AP 2.0 2016, so this is big. They are adding cameras to the front and rear bumpers and removing pillar cameras.

Based on the hardware changes, I expect a lot more functionality relative to the HW2 to HW3 change. My guess Tesla will take HW3 to a certain point, but then legacy us out and switch attention to HW4 only.

The removal of USS now makes more sense with bumper cams. It is strange that they have bastard cars that have no USS and no bumper cams though.

Reactions: Nickos and Sam1
I was exaggerating and won't be selling my 2022 MS for a HW4 car. There have only been 3 hardware versions of AP since 2014. Tesla has had the same camera placement/configuration since AP 2.0 2016, so this is big. They are adding cameras to the front and rear bumpers and removing pillar cameras.

Based on the hardware changes, I expect a lot more functionality relative to the HW2 to HW3 change. My guess Tesla will take HW3 to a certain point, but then legacy us out and switch attention to HW4 only.

The removal of USS now makes more sense with bumper cams. It is strange that they have bastard cars that have no USS and no bumper cams though.

Yep. those people are absolutely, 100% screwed.

Reactions: Nickos
Over a year after the promised update, no go? Does that mean the hardware was never there as promised or they're still woking on a software update? The tweet said all cars after Nov 2021 I think have the hardware.