Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HYUNDAI IONIQ 5 versus TESLA MODEL 3 | Wheels Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gosh I hate the media.. why must there be always a “killer”.. they always want a click bait headline.. how about they are both 2 really good EV cars.. And you cannot compare them.. How about compare it agains Mazda MX30, or and ICE CX5.Now the Ioniq is a really killer…

Interesting video. The two cars are a different class with the only similarity being that they are ev, so realistically should not be compared. None-the-less the review of each car as a standalone review seemed quite informative and unbiased. I didnt really detect any favouratism, and thought his assesment of the model 3 less than outstanding features was fair. Cant comment on the ionic as I havnt driven one yet.
The ionic will sell well. So will model 3. Nothing wrong with that as an outcome. The new vw might challenge them both though (not that we’ll see it until there is a change of attitude from australia) which also is nothing but positive, and all 3 of these, along with the leaf and the premium ev’s coming along, all have a place in the market.

This is it in a nutshell, follow the money. Hyundai spends about $50m per year in advertising in Oz (as of 2018), Tesla $0.
Regardless of the pros / cons of whatever products are being reviewed ad driven media is always going to be 'sensitive' to who is paying the bills.
Except in this case it seemed both cars recieved a fair review. Just odd to compare them.

Reactions: Vostok
I thought it was a reasonable review. The biggest misses I thought were that Wheels did not explain that Model 3 has walk-up unlock too (no need to take your phone out or open the App), and they did not mention Tesla‘s voice commands at all (i.e. you don’t have to poke at a menu when driving) or that most driver settings are set up by the driver while stationary and done once-only, stored in a driver profile, which is then automatically activated whenever you step into the car.

On the YouTube page, some commenters did point out to Wheels that Model Y would have been a fairer comparison as the 3 really is a different class of vehicle. Wheels acknowledged that but said they simply couldn’t wait until the Y was here, but that they would do further reviews once the Y has landed.

I thought it was a reasonable review. The biggest misses I thought were that Wheels did not explain that Model 3 has walk-up unlock too (no need to take your phone out or open the App), and they did not mention Tesla‘s voice commands at all (i.e. you don’t have to poke at a menu when driving) or that most driver settings are set up by the driver while stationary and done once-only, stored in a driver profile, which is then automatically activated whenever you step into the car.

On the YouTube page, some commenters did point out to Wheels that Model Y would have been a fairer comparison as the 3 really is a different class of vehicle. Wheels acknowledged that but said they simply couldn’t wait until the Y was here, but that they would do further reviews once the Y has landed.
They missed lots on the 3 but I’m sure they also missed lot on the ionic. But the standout missing item for me was summon, which is invaluable after someone with poor levels of thinking decides to park way to close to your car.
What was interesting though was that the reviewer thought the walk through front seats for the iconiq was a good idea. The very first model s arrivals had that. Almost everyone installed the optional console to fill the space, which tesla were forced to make due to the complaints.

A few key points that are significant:
1. He implies the Ioniq is 5K dearer than the M3, but his own figures show 10k
2. Proudly shows the walk up unlock of the Ioniq, but shows the Tesla needing either the card or phone app. Doesnt mention the walk up with your phone capability, or the auto lock.
3. Showing a black interior M3 vs White for the Ioniq. The white is always going to look better on the brochure.
4 Mentions the isofix points in the Ioniq, but not the Tesla
5 Pretty sure the M3 is NOT engineered for bidirectional use. In fact Elon specifically ruled it out.
6. He had no idea of how to drive the Tesla or operate the screen. Waffling on about the car excluding him from self steering because he didnt hold the steering wheel. Didnt mention all the warnings that he would have been presented with before it disabled the autopilot.
7. Fiddling around with the onscreen settings while driving and then complaining about the distraction!!.
8. Same charging time when charging from home. Is he kidding or just butt stupid. The charging rates at home are going to be the same, but the Ioniq has a
50% bigger battery (approx) so is going to take 50% longer.

Overall it was a terrible comparison and if you review the comments on the youtube video, you can see how badly he misrepresented the Tesla technology.
He seemed to do a good review of the capabilities and shortcomings of the Ioniq, but its still early days for us all, so its hard to know how true his views were.

Overall it was a terrible comparison and if you review the comments on the youtube video, you can see how badly he misrepresented the Tesla technology.
He seemed to do a good review of the capabilities and shortcomings of the Ioniq, but its still early days for us all, so its hard to know how true his views were.
I didn’t think it was “terrible” at all but each to their own. As @paulp pointed out, there was probably stuff about the Ioniq he missed out or misrepresented too.

Bottom line is he awarded the win to Model 3 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Gayle S
This is one of my biggest complaints about the Model 3. Things that were easy in my previous ICE are a lot harder and more distracting. e.g. turning on the fog lights, adjusting the fan speed. Even turning on high beam won't always work.
Have you ever tried voice commands? ”set fan to [1-10]”

High beam can be turned on using the stalk, like most cars.

Not sure if there is a voice command for fog lights.

Have you ever tried voice commands? ”set fan to [1-10]”
Yes. Many times. I don't have an American accent and most times it fails miserably. Like "set fan to 4" usually gets interpreted as "set fan to full". I once managed to get my accent close and it actually interpreted it correctly as "set fan to 4" (i.e. it actually displayed "set fan to 4"), but then changed almost every other climate control setting and did nothing with the fan speed. I had to pull over to sort out the mess.

That said, it is somewhat of a distraction to have to look at the screen while using voice commands to make sure the damn thing actually listens correctly.
High beam can be turned on using the stalk, like most cars.
I know how to turn high beam on and off. The problem is that it often does not work. For example, I have a back way I usually take to get from my house to the Great Western Highway. The road dips down over a causeway (which only has water over it under flood conditions). In the early morning it is quite dark and I need high beam to properly see the road. Pushing on the stalk puts it into "auto high beam" but doesn't actually turn the high beam on. I assume this is because the car thinks I'm in a "built up area" and high beam is not allowed. My only option is to pull and hold the stalk to keep the high beam on which makes driving a little more difficult.
Not sure if there is a voice command for fog lights.
I'm not sure either, but I doubt it would work properly (see above).

I tried to turn on high beam with the stalk in the back roads of my suburb and it would not do it. Whereas one hour before, out in an area with forests and no street lights, it worked fine as did auto-dipping. My wife postulated that the car knew it was in a built up area or that street lights were on and therefore would not engage high beam (it was around midnight).

I try to use voice commands as much as possible to avoid fiddling with the screen. I have been pleasantly surprised at how well it works.However, it's a pity that you cannot navigate to favourites because it just seems to do a google search. I have been to the USA 104 times but do not have an American accent (not even close). Perhaps the car knows I have been there a lot?????

Yes. Many times. I don't have an American accent and most times it fails miserably. Like "set fan to 4" usually gets interpreted as "set fan to full". I once managed to get my accent close and it actually interpreted it correctly as "set fan to 4" (i.e. it actually displayed "set fan to 4"), but then changed almost every other climate control setting and did nothing with the fan speed. I had to pull over to sort out the mess.

That said, it is somewhat of a distraction to have to look at the screen while using voice commands to make sure the damn thing actually listens correctly.

I know how to turn high beam on and off. The problem is that it often does not work. For example, I have a back way I usually take to get from my house to the Great Western Highway. The road dips down over a causeway (which only has water over it under flood conditions). In the early morning it is quite dark and I need high beam to properly see the road. Pushing on the stalk puts it into "auto high beam" but doesn't actually turn the high beam on. I assume this is because the car thinks I'm in a "built up area" and high beam is not allowed. My only option is to pull and hold the stalk to keep the high beam on which makes driving a little more difficult.

I'm not sure either, but I doubt it would work properly (see above).
I still get ‘cold pizza’ when I try to ‘call peter’

Reactions: Gayle S