Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I got my new Autopilot defeat device

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is wonderful, the car thinks I'm always looking at the road.
s-l1600.jpg

The update shouldn't affect that. The cabin camera is infrared so it will "see" through your sunglasses.
Interesting! So, I had no idea that there was an IR camera. I did some digging and came up with an analysis, I would be curious if you or anyone else can confirm this.

You sparked my curiosity, so I started researching a bit, and I noticed some articles referring to IR LEDs that are used to illuminate the cabin for low-light environments, and that sounds accurate. The image appears to be multi-spectral, something I never thought of before! But it does make sense.

I believe it is a safe assumption to make that the camera is multi-spectral and the IR LEDs are used for night/low light only.

So, I would assume, by the images we have along with the video I am posting below (predictive analysis by the vehicle if the driver is looking in a direction with sunglasses on) that the camera can't see through sunglasses, so just keep your head straight. Also, at night no sunglasses... but most of my driving is at night currently and it doesn't seem that the car has any idea if I am looking down or ahead.

Anyways, check this out, curious of thoughts:

I couldn't find any definitive information about the camera being IR, but this picture from a Reddit post shows an IR view in the dark:

1703029159292.png

Hopefully it works reliably. The IR cameras that Ford used for Blue Cruise, for example, were 100% faultless in my experience. I had no false positives, and it was nearly impossible to "fool" the system into thinking you were actually looking at the road. Granted I only logged a few dozen hours with BlueCruise, but it was still a pretty impressive implementation. Ford uses two cameras in front of the steering wheel, however, and not a wide angle centrally placed camera like Tesla does.

I couldn't find any definitive information about the camera being IR, but this picture from a Reddit post shows an IR view in the dark:

View attachment 1001157

Hopefully it works reliably. The IR cameras that Ford used for Blue Cruise, for example, were 100% faultless in my experience. I had no false positives, and it was nearly impossible to "fool" the system into thinking you were actually looking at the road. Granted I only logged a few dozen hours with BlueCruise, but it was still a pretty impressive implementation. Ford uses two cameras in front of the steering wheel, however, and not a wide angle centrally placed camera like Tesla does.
not all of Tesla's cars have IR cameras - it's been a more recent addition.

• Informative
Reactions: beatle and JB47394