Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I got my new Autopilot defeat device

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt the cabin camera is infrared. This is an urban legend in the making. It can be viewed with camera preview and it obviously is not infrared. Also, look at the IR pics below. Even if the cabin camera was a thermal imaging IR camera, it certainly won't detect eyeball orientation with or without glasses.View attachment 1003109View attachment 1003110
100% correct. I have a flir rifle scope and it cannot see thru any transparent surface except the Safire lens of the scope.

Driving home today I have my right hand on the wheel at 12 o’clock and I’m looking dead ahead at the road. It nags me to apply a slight turning force, so I jiggle the wheel, it immediately asks me again, apply a slight turning force, I jiggle the wheel to make it go away again, now it’s slowing to 25 mph in a 50 mph zone and I’m looking dead ahead and jiggling the wheel while it continues nagging. I give up and turn it off. WTF. Why is it so bad, it’s causing more of a hazard than anything

Driving home today I have my right hand on the wheel at 12 o’clock and I’m looking dead ahead at the road. It nags me to apply a slight turning force, so I jiggle the wheel, it immediately asks me again, apply a slight turning force, I jiggle the wheel to make it go away again, now it’s slowing to 25 mph in a 50 mph zone and I’m looking dead ahead and jiggling the wheel while it continues nagging. I give up and turn it off. WTF. Why is it so bad, it’s causing more of a hazard than anything
It's not looking for back-and-forth jiggling, it's looking for moderately light steady turning force (or torque or pressure or however you prefer to describe it.

While you can do this with your grip at 12:00, it's a lot more natural with your grip at the upper or lower side. Let the weight of your hand be supported by the wheel. Agreed it's a minor learning curve, but once you get it it's pretty easy to maintain without getting nags or disengagements.

It's not looking for back-and-forth jiggling, it's looking for moderately light steady turning force (or torque or pressure or however you prefer to describe it.

While you can do this with your grip at 12:00, it's a lot more natural with your grip at the upper or lower side. Let the weight of your hand be supported by the wheel. Agreed it's a minor learning curve, but once you get it it's pretty easy to maintain without getting nags or disengagements.
Agreed. A simple altered position at 11:00 or 1:00 and the issue would be greatly reduced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your premise is wrong. It’s ADAS .. so you have to pay attention.
No, I understand that. What I meant by putting air quotes around ‘self driving’ is that it is ADAS. Unfortunately my sarcasm didn’t go through, we need punctuation for actual air quotes. It’s completely exaggerated ADAS, and all I meant is that if I am paying attention as much as I was in my old car with zero assistance, it’s a BS system. If the ADAS is not making up for some lessening of attention to a car than one from the 1990’s, it is a bad system. To be clear, I don’t think that it is, even though I do have to sometimes be more vigilant because it brakes hard and swerves into the wrong lane, but recently there have been steps in the direction of not being a benefit to my driving experience. I can tell half the people here are going to defend Tesla regardless, but we probably agree and we’re just arguing stupid nuances. Go ahead and thumbs down my post, I really don’t care. I know everyone here is on the same page that they want FSD

Last edited:
No, I understand that. What I meant by putting air quotes around ‘self driving’ is that it is ADAS. Unfortunately my sarcasm didn’t go through, we need punctuation for actual air quotes. It’s completely exaggerated ADAS, and all I meant is that if I am paying attention as much as I was in my old car with zero assistance, it’s a BS system. If the ADAS is not making up for some lessening of attention to a car than one from the 1990’s, it is a bad system. To be clear, I don’t think that it is, even though I do have to sometimes be more vigilant because it brakes hard and swerves into the wrong lane, but recently there have been steps in the direction of not being a benefit to my driving experience. I can tell half the people here are going to defend Tesla regardless, but we probably agree and we’re just arguing stupid nuances. Go ahead and thumbs down my post, I really don’t care. I know everyone here is on the same page that they want FSD
Consider these “_”. They can help with you‘re “air quote” dilemma.

Your premise is still wrong. The whole point of a Level 2 ADAS system is that it does the work while you pay attention. You don’t get to reduce your attention until Level 3.

I can see (no pun intended) the system still working but using other input. Same as if the bill of your hat or a pair of sunglasses blocked view of your eyes. With no camera, the system can only rely on applied steering wheel torque butt pressure 🤣 .
The interior camera "watches" your eyes. The system gives the driver two warnings and then turns autosteer off if the eyes are not looking forward. Covering the camera disables that functionality. Yes the system still senses applied steering pressure, but it does that no matter what you do.

The interior camera "watches" your eyes. The system gives the driver two warnings and then turns autosteer off if the eyes are not looking forward. Covering the camera disables that functionality. Yes the system still senses applied steering pressure, but it does that no matter what you do.
I'm curious, and maybe this has been addressed elsewhere, but what does it do when you're wearing sunglasses? I mean, my head could be facing forward with my eyes closed, head resting on the headrest, and me being asleep. The system can't determine whether or not that's the case. Would it assume I'm alert?

(I don't have an interior camera so I couldn't test it out myself.)

Joe

I'm curious, and maybe this has been addressed elsewhere, but what does it do when you're wearing sunglasses? I mean, my head could be facing forward with my eyes closed, head resting on the headrest, and me being asleep. The system can't determine whether or not that's the case. Would it assume I'm alert?

(I don't have an interior camera so I couldn't test it out myself.)

Joe
I wear sunglasses and a hat with a bill. Eyeball direction can not be determined. However, direction of the head can still be determined.

Don't know if anybody has had the same experience, but here's what happened. I received 4 strikes due to the nagging on version 2023.44.30.5.1. The nagging occurs even if I glance at the route for 2 seconds to check if I should take the exit or not. I decided to purchase a webcam cover and covered the interior camera of my Model Y RWD 2023. So I already reached 4 strikes, then 3 days ago I started a long 12-hour drive. Almost arriving at my destination, I parked at the supercharger to charge up. When I switched to park, it informed me of a week ban. The weird thing is, I never missed a signal to touch the wheel during all those hours of driving. And it didn’t give a the screen with autopilot disabled. Has anyone experienced something similar?

Reactions: zoomer0056
Has anyone experienced something similar?
I've received 2 strikes in the past year with no warnings whatsoever. So apparently yes but it's rare. It feels like computer lag but I don't know. Although in my case I was notified immediately and FSD was also "disabled for drive" so the bug is apparent. I've not seen it not show until the next drive. We're you using it immediately before parking?

Don't know if anybody has had the same experience, but here's what happened. I received 4 strikes due to the nagging on version 2023.44.30.5.1. The nagging occurs even if I glance at the route for 2 seconds to check if I should take the exit or not. I decided to purchase a webcam cover and covered the interior camera of my Model Y RWD 2023. So I already reached 4 strikes, then 3 days ago I started a long 12-hour drive. Almost arriving at my destination, I parked at the supercharger to charge up. When I switched to park, it informed me of a week ban. The weird thing is, I never missed a signal to touch the wheel during all those hours of driving. And it didn’t give a the screen with autopilot disabled. Has anyone experienced something similar?
Believe, any attempt to block the camera (cover) will quickly result in a strike.