Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Initial 1000 HW2 cars getting AP software 12/31/16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received the update last night. I have since driven almost 100 miles, mostly highway, the second 50 miles during the day. There is still no functionality, just the cameras calibrating error. I dont even have cruise control since TACC was included in the update!

Rec'd the update last night as well. Went out at 8AM PST and got the same issue reported here, about Auto Pilot (and cruise control) not available while cameras are calibrating. Drove 20 miles. Same thing. Called tech support. They told me it takes about an hour. Drove another hour--total of 60 miles highway and off highway. Same thing. As one of the select 1000, my car now does less than it did yesterday, which was considerably behind the AP1 lot as it is.

There was nothing about this in the release notes. The tech support team doesn't have reliable information and we're all left to search the internet for clues. Lots of room for improvement on all fronts Tesla!

Well nonone finances their car from Tesla so not paying a portion isn't any kind of option. Tesla should however at least give a monthly banked credit towards a future purchase. Your lease may be "substantially" over by the time all promised features you paid for are available....

My lease is from Tesla so I'm going to call them this week to discuss options. I'm excited for the features and willing to pay their asking price but don't want to pay on a lease for something I don't have.

I agree. We shouldn't have to pay for features that do not work. No courtroom will allow a company to keep money for features that are not delivered. I am annoyed but OK for now, but in a couple weeks if there is no parity I will be looking at other options for compensation. I would like to give Tesla the benefit of the doubt on this one, but they've had over six months to get this stuff figured out already.

Getting a killer deal on an AP1 car is probably a smart move. Who knows when/if FSD will ever work if they can't even get basic functions working.

I contamplated buying an inventory AP1 cars vs AP2, but figured in the long run the AP2...hopefully that was the correct decision.

Back on the original subject, its kind of amazing that Tesla's order page still says EAP will be rolled out December 2016, subject to regulatory approval. The approval doesn't seem to be what is holding it back at this point, but Tesla themselves. This is a bit of a bait and switch, feels like they are afraid they would lose sales if they told the truth, or at least people holding off on their purchase.

Rec'd the update last night as well. Went out at 8AM PST and got the same issue reported here, about Auto Pilot (and cruise control) not available while cameras are calibrating. Drove 20 miles. Same thing. Called tech support. They told me it takes about an hour. Drove another hour--total of 60 miles highway and off highway. Same thing. As one of the select 1000, my car now does less than it did yesterday, which was considerably behind the AP1 lot as it is.

There was nothing about this in the release notes. The tech support team doesn't have reliable information and we're all left to search the internet for clues. Lots of room for improvement on all fronts Tesla!

Would happen to be the [S60 176XXX 209 92121] noted on TeslaFi? If so, you're one of three reporting in (TeslaFi has about 310 cars in their system, i.e. 1% have received the .185 update).

My S90D was delivered in mid Dec 2016. My formal test drive was in December 2015. I bought a car with, I thought, AP hardware which was functioning better than the car I drove as a test drive. No one told me the hardware was not functional. I am a litigation attorney but do not do class actions. I am considering seeking counsel to file a class action. I have not read the fine print of my lease, but I doubt that there was a special lease which states that hardware may or may not function as it was advertised. I was trying to be patient. But no upgrade on 1/1/17 and the paultry upgrade to less than promised - less than AP1 is appalling. Anyone think I am wrong or missing something here? Mon is a legal holiday. A phone call will be made on Tuesday.

My S90D was delivered in mid Dec 2016. My formal test drive was in December 2015. I bought a car with, I thought, AP hardware which was functioning better than the car I drove as a test drive. No one told me the hardware was not functional. I am a litigation attorney but do not do class actions. I am considering seeking counsel to file a class action. I have not read the fine print of my lease, but I doubt that there was a special lease which states that hardware may or may not function as it was advertised. I was trying to be patient. But no upgrade on 1/1/17 and the paultry upgrade to less than promised - less than AP1 is appalling. Anyone think I am wrong or missing something here? Mon is a legal holiday. A phone call will be made on Tuesday.

Post or message me what you find out after your call. I'm going to try and call tomorrow as well.

Gotta say there sure is a lot of butthurt in this thread. I was not one of the 1000 and while disappointed at not receiving .185 and the 'soft rollout' in general I am sucking it up.

Also, I did my own due diligence as anyone should when making an $80,000+ purchase. At purchase I selected EAP and did not choose FSD knowing that the latter would be far out.

Same as I.

@JohnFTL From everything I have seen on the order page Tesla made it clear that the cars wouldn't be delivered with AP functionality, and that it would be enabled over time. (The same thing was true with AP1; didn't it take almost a year for it to finally be active?)

Im not so sure its that clear on their website when you order.

What the website says is that ENHANCED Autopilot will be released in December 2016, subject to regulatory approval. That to me implies that regular AP should be working, just not the ENHANCED version, and even the Enhanced should be working in December 2016.

Plus not everyone orders online. I ordered through a Tesla store and bought an Inventory car. The sales rep never once said anything about limited functionality...though I already knew because of forums, and actually had to bring it up to him, and honestly thinking back now he seemed kind of skittish about it - like didn't really want to talk about it/brushed it off type of attitude.

What the website says is that ENHANCED Autopilot will be released in December 2016, subject to regulatory approval. That to me implies that regular AP should be working, just not the ENHANCED version, and even the Enhanced should be working in December 2016.

@HX_Guy No it doesn't. It says: "Tesla's Enhanced Autopilot software is expected to complete validation and be rolled out to your car via an over-the-air update in December 2016, subject to regulatory approval."

Of course that date has passed, so they should update the order page with a new expected date.

The blog post was a little more clear: "Before activating the features enabled by the new hardware, we will further calibrate the system using millions of miles of real-world driving to ensure significant improvements to safety and convenience. While this is occurring, Teslas with new hardware will temporarily lack certain features currently available on Teslas with first-generation Autopilot hardware, including some standard safety features such as automatic emergency braking, collision warning, lane holding and active cruise control. As these features are robustly validated we will enable them over the air, together with a rapidly expanding set of entirely new features." Which lets you know that it won't be all at once, features will come as they are ready.

Thanks for the clarification, but that further provides evidence of the lack of communication from Tesla in the car buying experience. And while I mis-remembered the statement (will be vs expected), I would still understand it as ENHANCED and not basic AP. The blog post obviously clarifies but you'd have to dig to find that.

I thought I had read through all of Tesla's stuff, but apparently not. That blog post should not be in a blog post, it should be in the order page along with the first part regarding the expected release. It should also be stated by the sales reps for people who don't spent time foraging through forums for information.

Gotta say there sure is a lot of butthurt in this thread. I was not one of the 1000 and while disappointed at not receiving .185 and the 'soft rollout' in general I am sucking it up.

Also, I did my own due diligence as anyone should when making an $80,000+ purchase. At purchase I selected EAP and did not choose FSD knowing that the latter would be far out.

+1