Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ioniq 5 vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's obvious (too much so) you're both very passionate on this subject. One question for you - have you taken any trips with the I5 and if so how far and how was the charging experience? Because I like the extra features the I5 offers (HUD, CarPlay, etc..) but if it's not easy to take trips, that's a deal breaker.
i have and the charging is incredible. Much faster than the Tesla. However, the planning software is garbage and the chargers are unreliable. As an experienced EV owner, I can manage but I wouldn’t recommend it to my aging parents.

I thought they were updating for 2023-- so you can precondition the car, like we now can do with Tesla.
why couldn't you precondition the car if it doesn't have a heat pump?

We just did a 5 hour trip each way to Mesa Verde and did one supercharge in Farmington and then did a destination charge at the park. Tesla Model 3 LR, 2020.
Tesla's supercharger network and integration with its navigation app makes road trips very easy but they are possible with other cars - A friend has a Nissan Leaf and drove it from Minneapolis down to Chicago. He definitely needed to spend more time planning but he could do it.

Reactions: Jane4
@sleepydoc and @MyEarHurts
Help me understand, I don't quite get why you are still upset about the suspension being overly stiff. Elon has already stated that updates have been made to the suspension and it has been noticed here on TMC. @sleepydoc has also already upgraded your suspension to make it better. My thoughts are you would feel vindicated that your issues were addressed? Honestly let me know what I'm missing here.
I'm glad my suspension is better.
I'm frustrated that I had to spend $3000 to get a decent suspension on a $60k car.
I'm glad that Tesla has improved their suspension. (although I haven't tried it to actually compare it so I'm going by reports)
I feel vindicated that Elon himself has stated the suspension needed to be improved.
I feel obligated to correct misinformation being spread by @nate704

Finally - I'm staying out of the catfight between @nate704 and @MyEarHurts

i have and the charging is incredible. Much faster than the Tesla. However, the planning software is garbage and the chargers are unreliable. As an experienced EV owner, I can manage but I wouldn’t recommend it to my aging parents.
How is it great and how much faster could it be? How far were your trips? Was it easy for you to find chargers? You just said the planning software is garbage and the chargers were unreliable how could they be great? And you wouldn’t recommend it? Doesn’t sound so great. 🤔🤔

Last edited:
Reactions: Jane4 and DrGriz
why couldn't you precondition the car if it doesn't have a heat pump?

Tesla's supercharger network and integration with its navigation app makes road trips very easy but they are possible with other cars - A friend has a Nissan Leaf and drove it from Minneapolis down to Chicago. He definitely needed to spend more time planning but he could do it.
Fine maybe for you but “possible” doesn’t cut it for me - I want to take trips I can count on being easy and reliable. If an EV is only great around town and they don’t have enough supporting infrastructure I don’t care if they have ventilated seats, CarPlay, etc… it’s effectively useless and won’t convince the masses to convert. I want real competition when I’m in the market again and I’m just not seeing it anytime soon. Get the charging worked out already!!!! I’ll always buy the best product, not blindly following Elon.

How is it great and how much faster could it be? How far were your trips? Was it easy for you to find chargers? You just said the chargers were unreliable how could they be great? And you wouldn’t recommend it? Doesn’t sound so great. 🤔🤔

I could plug in at 50% and the charge is near 200kw and barely trickles down to 150 at 80%. I've never had my M3P do that. I live in so-cal so the pack was hot and charging was brisk every time. 800V architecture is pretty great.

I went a couple hundred miles out and then back...not that long but it wasn't hard to find chargers at all. I ferry my kids around on weekend for soccer tournaments so have to go all over so-cal. My issue with the chargers is that some of the chargers just didn't work. I moved my car and found chargers that did work but once I went to a station and the whole thing was down. The Tesla network is unmatched so I'd rather do a long road-trip in a Model Y over anything else but comparing the charging potential of the cars alone, the Hyundai / Kia platforms are superior given their 800V architecture.

Also, even though the Tesla network is superior, I never got stranded with the CCS network. It just took more work.

SoCal has a proliferation of chargers, try going up in the mountain states over thousands of miles. When the I5 can do that seamlessly I’ll consider it as a viable option, the sooner the better for everyone. I want real competition for all our sakes.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz
I could plug in at 50% and the charge is near 200kw and barely trickles down to 150 at 80%. I've never had my M3P do that. I live in so-cal so the pack was hot and charging was brisk every time. 800V architecture is pretty great.
It's when you aren't in a place that's sunny and warm, that preconditioning is important... kyle's crew did a race from Colorado to Vegas. When the Ioniq5 plugged in at 38% SoC, they were coldgating at 70kW.

It's when you aren't in a place that's sunny and warm, that preconditioning is important... kyle's crew did a race from Colorado to Vegas. When the Ioniq5 plugged in at 38% SoC, they were coldgating at 70kW.

The Kia EV6 and I5 will supposedly be updated for pre-conditioning soon. They are beginning to roll this out in Europe for 2022 models. I don't know if it come to the US but here is hoping. The newer models selling already have pre-conditioning. In that race, didn't the I5 come in 2nd after the Taycan?

Reactions: jsight
The Kia EV6 and I5 will supposedly be updated for pre-conditioning soon. They are beginning to roll this out in Europe for 2022 models. I don't know if it come to the US but here is hoping. The newer models selling already have pre-conditioning. In that race, didn't the I5 come in 2nd after the Taycan?
A welcome addition, as that is the only thing I think the EV6/Ioniq5 was missing for me... As far as the race, yeah, something like that... The Ioniq5 could've been way further ahead if it wasn't hampered in the beginning.

What does 800v have to do with it? Doesn't it all come down to how much power the BMS is willing to push in to the battery at a given SOC? Chemistry and cooling would be the most crucial factor here, not whether you double the series attachment and apply double voltage. Each cell is still seeing the same voltage and current ratios.

I'm curious to see degredation vs time using a high C charging frequently.

Moderator Note: Posts moved to snippiness. Personal attacks are forbidden here, and ad hominem arguments are weak. Calling people "Tesla haters" or "fanboys" or worse, "fanbois" is merely an ad hominem attack in lieu of an argument. Also, just a reminder that we're only talking about cars here.

If your post was moved away and there was information you'd like to have in thread, feel free to copy and paste it back so long as it doesn't include personal attacks. Some posts were moved due to quoting a snippy post or quoting another post that was moved. Apologies in advance.

I'm frustrated that I had to spend $3000 to get a decent suspension on a $60k car.
I'm glad that Tesla has improved their suspension. (although I haven't tried it to actually compare it so I'm going by reports)
I feel vindicated that Elon himself has stated the suspension needed to be improved.

I agree with you 100%. I was also here to stop Nate from spreading misinformation, since he doesn’t even own both. The suspension was/is big enough if an issue that Elon had to mention it.

Can you prove my “misinformation” ? What “misinformation” am i spreading?
All Tesla suspension haters focus on cushiness of the car. Nothing else.
why is this fair judgement?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Noflash
I agree with you 100%. I was also here to stop Nate from spreading misinformation, since he doesn’t even own both. The suspension was/is big enough if an issue that Elon had to mention it.
I think everyone is aware by now you own both but that doesn’t mean you’re the only one who can offer an opinion, nor does it mean all must trust your judgements, just saying. And this constant bickering isn’t helping your arguments.

Can you prove my “misinformation” ? What “misinformation” am i spreading?
All Tesla suspension haters focus on cushiness of the car. Nothing else.
why is this fair judgement?
The fact that all you can do is resort to calling someone a ‘hater’ because they don‘t love something about the car speaks to the weakness of your arguments and makes further discussion pointless. I’ve already detailed it quite well so I’ll leave it there.

What does 800v have to do with it? Doesn't it all come down to how much power the BMS is willing to push in to the battery at a given SOC? Chemistry and cooling would be the most crucial factor here, not whether you double the series attachment and apply double voltage. Each cell is still seeing the same voltage and current ratios.

I'm curious to see degredation vs time using a high C charging frequently.

An 800V architecture would require less Amps to get higher kw. Less Amps to the battery is less heat so you can charge at a faster clip even at higher SoC. Heat is the main contributor for battery degradation. The battery is taking in as much juice as it can without overheating (if its a good BMS). It should be no different for an Ioniq 5 charging at full speed vs. a 400V Tesla charging at full speed for battery degradation...just the Ioniq 5 would charge much faster.