Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ioniq 5 vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I paid a couple grand of add-ons (paint protection) in June when I got the EV6. You can find dealers that don't do markup but you have to put your name on a list and wait. I also put my name on a bunch of other dealerships and a few came back calling saying they had my Ioniq 5 coming in...i declined because we already bought the EV6 but you have to wait (just like a Tesla right). It does take more effort but it can be done.

I bet the Hyundai dealers called because buyers no longer have the tax credit so its opening up opportunities for other buyers. EV's will be in short supply for another couple years as the legacy manufacturers are still getting their battery supply sorted.

That's called a mark up in plain English. :cool:

you can get the same "paint protection" with less than $100 from Amazon.

True but it was minimal compared to some of the other dealers wanting $5-10k. In the end, I decided it was worth it and got the tax credit so an AWD EV6 for about $46k. The dealers are being a bit more reasonable now given the lack of tax credit so hopefully, potential buyers can take advantage.

Just for "fun and giggles" I checked on Ioniq 5 availability in the Tucson area. Besides there not being very many the dealer I checked wanted several thousand dollars over MSRP. And I had to first fill out a form so we could "talk." Finally, checked Yelp ratings for the dealer. Oh boy...

No thanks.

Rich
From the Hyundai web site...
1666212777856.png

• Funny
Reactions: Apprunner
I could be wrong, but I dont think anyone wants to give a Tesla EV of the year... too polarizing and they want to encourage the competition. MME was EV of the year last year and its had a less than spectacular start. I think they gave it to them because they were the only true competitor to the Model Y in 2021.
The High Voltage Battery Junction Box on the MME's has become such a fiasco they have an acronym for it "HVBJB" Feel free to google it and see all the issues. They also nerfed the GT to only have 5sec of full power.

I guess where I'm going with all of this is that the HI5 is the best competitor to the Model Y. Next year the GV60 will likely take the "Best EV" award because, once again, its the best competitor to the Model Y.

BTW: I have plenty of complaints about Tesla, but its hard to find a car that checks all the boxes the Model Y does.... of course I'm biased.

I could be wrong, but I dont think anyone wants to give a Tesla EV of the year... too polarizing and they want to encourage the competition. MME was EV of the year last year and its had a less than spectacular start. I think they gave it to them because they were the only true competitor to the Model Y in 2021.
The High Voltage Battery Junction Box on the MME's has become such a fiasco they have an acronym for it "HVBJB" Feel free to google it and see all the issues. They also nerfed the GT to only have 5sec of full power.

I guess where I'm going with all of this is that the HI5 is the best competitor to the Model Y. Next year the GV60 will likely take the "Best EV" award because, once again, its the best competitor to the Model Y.

BTW: I have plenty of complaints about Tesla, but its hard to find a car that checks all the boxes the Model Y does.... of course I'm biased.
They award those "awards" to those who pays. Same goes for those car review companies who publish their best EVs for those who pays them.
Those "awards" mean nothing.

Very subjective statement. Ioniq 5 suspension is mushy and boring and unstable and wobbly, which doesn't mean it is better than something else.
Isn't anything said in this post subjective? I guarantee you there are a lot more Model Y suspension complaints versus the I5 suspension. I find the suspension not mushy, not boring and very comfortable. One of the most praised comfort ev's there are.

Isn't anything said in this post subjective? I guarantee you there are a lot more Model Y suspension complaints versus the I5 suspension. I find the suspension not mushy, not boring and very comfortable. One of the most praised comfort ev's there are.
I am sure your like a moving couch.
Have you seen the delivery numbers of Tesla vs. Hyundai/Kia EVs? I see only 20 ish people here complain about the MY suspension on this forum, and how many MYs on the road now?
If the suspension of MY/MYP is that horrible, why you don't see millions of posts all over the internet? Apparently, Tesla cars are not for you people who want moving couch type cushy rides. Why don't you take it as a grown-up (if you are), and move onto something else instead of whining here, which will do zero good for you in any way.

I don't understand why these individuals are still complaining, they got what they wanted. Elon stated the suspensions have been updated. If they think that someone is going to give them upgraded suspensions. I wouldn't hold my breath.

I don't understand why these individuals are still complaining, they got what they wanted. Elon stated the suspensions have been updated. If they think that someone is going to give them upgraded suspensions. I wouldn't hold my breath.
I'm not satisfied until M3P suspension looks like this coming out of Fremont:

koenigsegg-triplex-arguably-the-most-innovative-suspension-design-out-there-166587_1.jpg

Make it happen Elon, make it happen.

Just for "fun and giggles" I checked on Ioniq 5 availability in the Tucson area. Besides there not being very many the dealer I checked wanted several thousand dollars over MSRP. And I had to first fill out a form so we could "talk." Finally, checked Yelp ratings for the dealer. Oh boy...

No thanks.

Rich
Yeah, I had PTSD standing in the dealership waiting on someone to bring me the keys. The sharks were circling! I'll prob try a car-buying service when I have to get our next car - maybe Honda Prologue.

• Funny
Reactions: tm1v2
I see only 20 ish people here complain about the MY suspension on this forum
perhaps you haven’t looked, then? There are plenty of people who aren’t satisfied. I‘ve also posted several reviews from automotive journalists with the same view. If you’re happy driving on a suspension that’s almost as good as the neighbor kid’s go kart, that’s great, but other people have reasonable standards and expectations.

Edit: Even Elon has said the suspensions needed improving. odd that you still disagree.

Last edited:

The point of my post was not the awards but the line at the bottom - “extremely limited availability.” I’ve never seen a car maker put that on their web site. Makes for a really odd page - they’re trumpeting their awards but then say they don’t have any to sell. I’m sure the marketing people loved that!

Reactions: MyEarHurts
perhaps you haven’t looked, then? There are plenty of people who aren’t satisfied. I‘ve also posted several reviews from automotive journalists with the same view. If you’re happy driving on a suspension that’s almost as good as the neighbor kid’s go kart, that’s great, but other people have reasonable standards and expectations.
Elon tweeted and has been noticed on TMC that the suspensions of Model 3 and Y have been updated. What more do you want?

Edited "the TMC" to "TMC"

Last edited:
Elon tweeted and has been noticed on the TMC that the suspensions of Model 3 and Y have been updated. What more do you want?
They want to complain about their Tesla cars that they test drove before they purchased indicating that they knew what they were getting into (if not, oh well there nothing that can help them), and clearly they purchased the cars that were not meant for them. All they want is cushy/moving couch like cars. :cool:

I am sure your like a moving couch.
Have you seen the delivery numbers of Tesla vs. Hyundai/Kia EVs? I see only 20 ish people here complain about the MY suspension on this forum, and how many MYs on the road now?
If the suspension of MY/MYP is that horrible, why you don't see millions of posts all over the internet? Apparently, Tesla cars are not for you people who want moving couch type cushy rides. Why don't you take it as a grown-up (if you are), and move onto something else instead of whining here, which will do zero good for you in any way.
I'm a bit baffled by the "poor suspension" issue. Wife and I drive a MY and a M3 (SR) and for the life of me I can't understand what the problem is with either one's suspension. Driven the MY back and forth from AZ to Cape Cod a few times, plus a couple of other trips (maybe 15,000 road miles out of around 18,000 total) and we both find the vehicle quite comfortable.

Trust me, if I had a complaint I'd let ya know about it!!

Rich