Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ioniq 5 vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I usually plugged in for 10-15 min for a 350kw charger. It really boogies. I was at 65% and pulling 150kw and no way my M3P does that. The issue is, half the chargers were broken. Right now, Teslas are simply better road trip cars because of infrastructure. If infrastructure was equal, no reason the I5 or EV6 wouldn’t be faster on a road trip
OK so 10-15 minutes on the faster charger compared to how many minutes for the M3P for with a similar state of charge would you estimate?

OK so 10-15 minutes on the faster charger compared to how many minutes for the M3P for with a similar state of charge would you estimate?

On my M3P, it’s probably 15-20 minutes but I have the faster charging 2019 version. It goes from 10-80% in about 23 minutes. The 2020 and newer packs do this in about 28 minutes.

In the grand scheme of things you are probably saving anywhere from 5-10 minutes of charging.

• Informative
Reactions: Dennisis

1666566183411.png

Lack of pre-heating really hurts the Ioniq 5 in winter. Bjorn couldn’t get it to high charge rates due to Norways cold weather. Good thing it’s shipping with pre-conditioning now. Hopefully he gets to retest this winter with it.
I don't think the preconditioning was the major impact. It was the efficiency/consumption that was higher, but we will see when he gets to test one with the preconditioning mode.

I don't think the preconditioning was the major impact. It was the efficiency/consumption that was higher, but we will see when he gets to test one with the preconditioning mode.
I’m sure it will benefit the overall times given how fast the car charges when battery is at optimal temp. Doesn’t mean it will overtake the Model Y due to the efficiency difference though. Will be interesting to see nonetheless.

Reactions: nate704
Winter? The temp was 11-21ºC.

Yeah...guess it wasn't that cold. He was saying the battery was still cold which was slowing down the charge. I've seen really great speeds on my road-trips but it was August in so-cal which is hot as hell. Nonetheless, pre-conditioning will see the battery at optimal temp for the fast speeds. Pre-conditioning is such a nice feature and i'm happy that Hyundai and Kia are finally bringing it out...better late than never :D

Just as an observational data point: Over my first 2000 miles (at least 1000 of which were a highway road trip at 75-80mph, including climbs up and down elevation from 100’ to 8k’ above sea level), my 2022 Model Y lifetime consumption sits at 268Wh/mi.
Mountains are fun with EVs - you get to watch your battery charge steadily increase all the way down!

I have the exact same lifetime consumption - 268 Wh/mi over 26k miles and 27 months of ownership through 2 MN winters.

The efficiency highlights how all of this is multifactorial. If the car charges 50% faster but takes twice as much energy per mile then you're still at a net deficit in terms of time spent charging.

Efficiency also affects costs and environmental impact. Many people purchase EVs as a lower cost or more environmentally friendly alternative to ICE vehicles. From Björn's chart above, the Ioniq took 25% more energy than the MY LR. That means 25% more emissions and 25% more spent on charging. The charging costs are especially relevant since charging on the road is typically more expensive than home charging. Pre-warming also consumes/wastes energy and will affect your overall efficiency but I don't know if it's a significant impact or not.

The model Y suspension is horrible for me meaning it's an overly firm ride for my preference compared to the I5 and those that think that I might feel otherwise is are in denial. There have been numerous posts about dislike for the suspension.
Made some edits for you. I know people who prefer a stiffer ride - there are plenty who used to complain about the air suspension on the first Model S, here on this forum, because it was far too soft and cushy. When they offered coils, many chose them because of the firm ride. We've had a Model S and two Model Xs before this Y, and they are definitely a softer ride. They're also not as fun/sporty as the Y, but for longer trips I think they're more comfortable.

I dropped my tire pressure to 39 all around and have found it's a happy medium on my 2022 LR Y for what I personally prefer. But I wouldn't purport to suggest that it's the best for everyone. Preferences are just that. It's like saying one color is the best color, or one kind of food is the best. Ideally, I think we talk about our own preferences as opinions, since that's what they are, and allow others to have their own opinions.

Yup, I don't know why I bought this piece of crap that has more plastic than my CR-V.

Even the Cadillac Lyriq which is priced the same blows the MY out of the water in terms of comfort and features.

Lyriq >>>>> Ioniq 5 and EV6

Folks don't realize how cheap the Ioniq 5 interior is and how poor the audio is also. That's why I push folks to look at the GV60.

The Lyriq is on par with the Genesis GV60 and BMW i4.

Reactions: nate704 and jsight