Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope this doesn't turn out to be the case and share your sentiment that they get it right. I'd be happy to see robust competition from all makers. The true beneficiaries of a competitive landscape are we the consumer.

I think Jaguar actually made a genuine effort to make a proper EV. It’s on a bespoke platform and they went all-out on media to tell the world.

The problem is that when you’re competing with other automakers for commodity batteries and don’t have Tesla’s software and powertrain engineering expertise it’s very difficult to create something compelling where it matters most. The only ones close are the Koreans who have a home field advantage with batteries and have their heads down furiously iterating.

Tesla can do more with a kWh of storage than any other automaker and can pay less for that kWh than any other automaker. That’s the most important part of a competitive EV and nobody else is close yet. Battery day may move the goalposts again.

Just wanted to chime in on this thread and show the I pace some love. I Pace is a great vehicle, traded my Model 3 Performance for it and don’t regret it. Way more comfortable and way better built vehicle than the 3. Got a huge discount and with the tax credit, happy with the result. Took it on a road trip and got great range which surprised me about 240 miles doing 70 mph which is more than my model 3 performance( would get 220 if I was lucky in the 3 with the 20s was an energy hog).
Overall very different vehicles, Tesla tech is better but I love the drive of the I Pace even more than our X. X had been nothing but service headaches for my 1st year. So yes each manufacturer has their flaws and benefits. I have been lucky enough to have 5 different Teslas but the I Pace is probably my favorite. And I love Tesla. If the I Pace price point was better would be more competitive. All it took was a random test drive for me and I said good bye to my 3. To each his own I guess. Just my 2 cents. Seen a lot of bashing on the I Pace here but it really is a nice EV.

Just curious how long have you had it? The "huge discounts" have been pretty recent IIRC. McRat was a happy camper at first too.

I agree though that more options are better, and I like Jag as a brand.

Just wanted to chime in on this thread and show the I pace some love. I Pace is a great vehicle, traded my Model 3 Performance for it and don’t regret it. Way more comfortable and way better built vehicle than the 3. Got a huge discount and with the tax credit, happy with the result.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Just wanted to chime in on this thread and show the I pace some love. I Pace is a great vehicle, traded my Model 3 Performance for it and don’t regret it. Way more comfortable and way better built vehicle than the 3. Got a huge discount and with the tax credit, happy with the result. Took it on a road trip and got great range which surprised me about 240 miles doing 70 mph which is more than my model 3 performance( would get 220 if I was lucky in the 3 with the 20s was an energy hog).
Overall very different vehicles, Tesla tech is better but I love the drive of the I Pace even more than our X. X had been nothing but service headaches for my 1st year. So yes each manufacturer has their flaws and benefits. I have been lucky enough to have 5 different Teslas but the I Pace is probably my favorite. And I love Tesla. If the I Pace price point was better would be more competitive. All it took was a random test drive for me and I said good bye to my 3. To each his own I guess. Just my 2 cents. Seen a lot of bashing on the I Pace here but it really is a nice EV.

To each his own indeed. I drive both a Model 3 LR AWD and I-PACE and I find the Tesla more comfortable. The Jaguar does have a very nice interior quality for sure. Although I quite like the extra minimalism of the Tesla. Biggest thing I like about the Jaguar in comparison is actually the massive tires that eat curbs for lunch. :D It also hugs the road very nicely for a relatively large vehicle (here in the UK, it's relatively large). The vehicles feel very different to drive and I really enjoy them both. I'll miss the Jaguar when it is returned, it's a lease vehicle. Although for road trips I'd take the Model 3 LR over the Jag any day - my real world range is better, it's more efficient and importantly is much easier to charge when roadtripping in most of the UK.

Last edited:
To each his own indeed. I drive both a Model 3 LR AWD and I-PACE and I find the Tesla more comfortable. The Jaguar does have a very nice interior quality for sure. Although I quite like the extra minimalism of the Tesla. Biggest thing I like about the Jaguar in comparison is actually the massive tires that eat curbs for lunch. :D It also hugs the road very nicely for a relatively large vehicle (here in the UK, it's relatively large). The vehicles feel very different to drive and I really enjoy them both. I'll miss the Jaguar when it is returned, it's a lease vehicle. Although for road trips I'd take the Model 3 LR over the Jag any day - my real world range is better, it's more efficient and importantly is much easier to charge when roadtripping in most of the UK.
Regarding your comment I’m charging—I was of the impression that non-SC charging was fairly ubiquitous. Is that the case? Is your comment related to ease of finding charge points or the speed at which the vehicles charge? Cheers.

Regarding your comment I’m charging—I was of the impression that non-SC charging was fairly ubiquitous. Is that the case? Is your comment related to ease of finding charge points or the speed at which the vehicles charge? Cheers.

The non-SC network here in the UK is dire. You're lucky to have more than 2 points at any given location and it's pretty much 50/50 whether they'll actually be working or not. With Superchargers you have 8+ stalls in most locations which only Teslas can use. And Tesla tends to properly maintain them, keeping them up and running as well. Much better system.

Last edited:
The non-SC network here in the UK is dire. You're lucky to have more than 2 points at any given location and it's pretty much 50/50 whether they'll actually be working or not. With Superchargers you have 8+ stalls in most locations which only Teslas can use. And Tesla tends to properly maintain them, keeping them up and running as well. Much better system.

Here in SoCal there are far more non-Tesla DC Fast Charge locations than Tesla Supercharger locations, and now that many people no longer get free unlimited supercharging like we did in the good old days, there is no charging advantage with Tesla anymore.

Here in SoCal there are far more non-Tesla DC Fast Charge locations than Tesla Supercharger locations, and now that many people no longer get free unlimited supercharging like we did in the good old days, there is no charging advantage with Tesla anymore.

I only use quick charging for road trips. God help you trying to get to Seattle from Los Angeles using CCS.

Whoa that has not been my experience in San Diego -- and points north -- at all. The few times I have looked for non-Tesla chargers they have been few, slow, and often decrepit or broken. I have FUSC so I only look for them when Tesla won't work, but I have been pretty unimpressed. The non-Tesla chargers I have seen are like relic chargers from another EV planet.

An iPace can easily make it from LA to Seattle using only Electrify America charging sites. Sure, a Tesla can make the trip faster than the Jag, but no help from God will be needed.

Oh I know it’s possible but EA has an abysmal uptime and there is no equivalent route planning.

You cannot get in an I-Pace, set the destination as the fish market, and hit the road and expect to get there. You’ll need a spreadsheet and luck. I’ve relied on non-Tesla quick charging in the past and it’s easier to get to Seattle in a Tesla than Bakersfield in another car.

Quick charging outside of Tesla’s network for road trips remains a hot mess in uptime in usability. It will certainly improve in the future but it ain’t there yet.

Quick charging outside of Tesla’s network for road trips remains a hot mess in uptime in usability. It will certainly improve in the future but it ain’t there yet.
That is the Tesla advantage in a nutshell: having confidence that the Superchargers will be operational and available. Plug-share kinda-sorta provides this confidence depending on how often people use the facility.

Oh I know it’s possible but EA has an abysmal uptime and there is no equivalent route planning.

You cannot get in an I-Pace, set the destination as the fish market, and hit the road and expect to get there. You’ll need a spreadsheet and luck. I’ve relied on non-Tesla quick charging in the past and it’s easier to get to Seattle in a Tesla than Bakersfield in another car.

I will grant you that the iPace won't do any trip planning for you or tell you where to charge. However, there are smart phone apps for that. Also, EA may have its problems, but at least there are 4 or more chargers at each location so the chances of being stranded by a inop charging site are pretty minimal.
Your dire description of the situation would be more apt if you chose a different travel corridor that had less charging available.

• Funny
I will grant you that the iPace won't do any trip planning for you or tell you where to charge. However, there are smart phone apps for that. Also, EA may have its problems, but at least there are 4 or more chargers at each location so the chances of being stranded by a inop charging site are pretty minimal.
Your dire description of the situation would be more apt if you chose a different travel corridor that had less charging available.

It’s not “dire,” it’s a pain in the butt.

Strap one average new car shopper into an I-Pace and another into a Model Y. Tell them to get to [pick a city 1500 miles away]. One will actually get there, the other will choose a gas car.

You can make anything work with enough practice or patience. I’ve been driving electric for more than a decade of my life so believe me, I know.

Making something work is a non-starter for all but the die-hards. Tesla has an enormous advantage here, for now. I can pick any spot on the map and be very confident that the car will route me there accurately and that the charging stops will be in working order. This is not the case with EA or EVgo. It may be in the future but it’s not today.

It’s not “dire,” it’s a pain in the butt.

Strap one average new car shopper into an I-Pace and another into a Model Y. Tell them to get to [pick a city 1500 miles away]. One will actually get there, the other will choose a gas car.

You can make anything work with enough practice or patience. I’ve been driving electric for more than a decade of my life so believe me, I know.

Making something work is a non-starter for all but the die-hards. Tesla has an enormous advantage here, for now. I can pick any spot on the map and be very confident that the car will route me there accurately and that the charging stops will be in working order. This is not the case with EA or EVgo. It may be in the future but it’s not today.
Your test does not work for me since I will choose (outside of the the Covid-19 period) to fly 1500 miles. But your point holds for 500 - 750 miles trips each direction since a potential buyer wants any arbitrary route, not just the I-5