Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BMW system works the same, simply stops assisting with no audible alert. Should be a user configurable parameter to provide an audible alert should the user want it.

Respectfully disagree. It's actively dangerous for it to disengage without substantial alert/notification. I don't want other folks on the road with me to have the option to turn the alert off, because it'll greatly increase the odds that they'll cause an accident by mistake.

you’d have to be an idiot to buy an iPace

You know that Jag has announced that there is a problem with firmware and are sorting it out, right?

Even if the range is 170 miles instead of 220 ... that's probably fine for many people. There isn't a 75-option for people who want less range, the only option is 90 ... so plenty of customers are definitely going to have no problem.

And over here that is going to cost £0.04 per mile to run instead of £0.03 ... Big Deal. Petrol over here is £0.20 per mile

Reactions: Grendal and Ormond
You know that Jag has announced that there is a problem with firmware and are sorting it out, right?

Even if the range is 170 miles instead of 220 ... that's probably fine for many people. There isn't a 75-option for people who want less range, the only option is 90 ... so plenty of customers are definitely going to have no problem.

And over here that is going to cost £0.04 per mile to run instead of £0.03 ... Big Deal. Petrol over here is £0.20 per mile
It’s a massive premium over an AWD SR M3

Putting aside matters of preference, the brand the design the materials etc. Putting aside charging networks. Putting aside concerns over new tech and potential early problems just like MS had, even availability of service. Putting aside relative cost of batteries due to scale of production.

One thing which keeps me in the team Tesla: Software.

Tesla will dominate the software of cars. It is the silicon valley approach to software, with ambitious visions and the best talent around to make them happen. This is unique to the Tesla experience. Yes, the bugs and delays are there, but it doesn't matter if they are the only company with a proper vision out there.

I wish big success to iPace and I do believe there is a market for it. I will be test driving one soon, unlike I first thought after launch event.

Reactions: Grendal
I had put a deposit down on the i-Pace months before I eventually purchased my S100D.

I finally got a call on Saturday saying they were ready to conduct a test drive.

Apparently they still don't have Jaguar's permission to register their demo cars and they still don't have the firmware updates but they are doing test drives on trade-plates and telling people that the updates are not all that important anyway...

Great way to convince people that Jaguar are a safe bet for the future...

There was an outside chance that I would have taken the i-Pace for my wife's new car, but after that conversation I cancelled the deposit.

I do hope they are successful, but I'm marking this one down as one to wait for a year or so to see how they actually do in the wild.

• Helpful
Reactions: Grendal

Can you link to that announcement, I haven't seen it.
Even if the range is 170 miles instead of 220 ... that's probably fine for many people.

But they state up to 240 miles of range, not 220. So you are saying you can only get ~71% of stated range and you are OK with it?

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Nuclear Fusion
As somebody mentioned earlier, I do wonder about service availability? I have a used FIAT 500e that I shipped from CA, full well knowing that it would be VERY difficult to service on the east coast since FIAT/Chrysler explicitly requires mechanics be “certified” to work on any vehicle with an electric propulsion system, regardless of the type of repair is required.

My local dealership said, “we’re not even allowed to put air in the tires if it has an EV battery in it, so we also can’t touch the Pacifica hybrid until one of our mechanics is certified.” Not sure if this is just usual dealership BS, but curious if Jaguar is going to require special training and/or certification such that i-Pace owners may have to hunt around for repair services?

(Not saying this is detrimental to the success of the i-Pace, coming from a guy who has to drive 40-50 minutes to get to a Tesla service center...)

Like all EV sales, I'm sure the ipace will sell heaviest in California, and so YMMV for service.

170 miles? I'd be totally fine with that range. Really, it'd make no difference vs 200 or 240. However, I think we'd demand a price cut. The way I drive, 170 miles is what I'd expect. In the Spark EV, rated for 80 or so, I consistently get 60.

Like all EV sales, I'm sure the ipace will sell heaviest in California, and so YMMV for service.

170 miles? I'd be totally fine with that range. Really, it'd make no difference vs 200 or 240. However, I think we'd demand a price cut. The way I drive, 170 miles is what I'd expect. In the Spark EV, rated for 80 or so, I consistently get 60.

I don't think I've ever used more than 150 rated miles when I wasn't on a trip away from home, so to my mind range beyond that is all about trips, and could potentially be traded for faster easier charging.

Unfortunately, right now there's no trade - bigger packs charge faster, hit tapers later and less severely, and aren't much less efficient.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cobos
But they state up to 240 miles of range, not 220. So you are saying you can only get ~71% of stated range and you are OK with it?

Sorry, should have qualified that. 220 is the real-world-range that I get from my P90D - so I think reasonable that a 90 kWh battery in A.N.Other vehicle might make similar [real world] range. But if it doesn't I think it will appeal to plenty of people who don't drive that far - town drivers, second-car owners, etc.. But of course the buyer needs to know the achievable range before they buy, and the official test figures need to be representative in side-by-side comparisons with other makes.

Or Jag needs to fix the problem, as they seem to be indicating that they will do.