Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR RWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys!

I am new to this forum but have been following TESLA for a number of years. Family has had 3 TESLA's and now I am finally getting mine. I was someone who got moved from a Mid-Range to a Long Range Model 3. Like a lot of people have mentioned on here, there has been a lot of confusion with orders and difficulty reaching people at TESLA. I just got a text saying my delivery date is coming up. I got a custom order so this car was not in inventory. My main concern right now is their massive rush to have solid numbers for their quarter and I don't want that to be to the detriment of the fit and finish of our cars.

Original order date:
3/8/19

Got call to switch to Long Range:
3/20/19

Text today 3/22 about Delivery Date 3/29 (like a lot of people got today - just in time for their numbers)

• How are you guys feeling about your car being produced in this rushed fashion?
  • Has anyone taken delivery recently where they had multiple, larger issues with the build quality?
  • Where do you find the VIN number on your TESLA account?
  • Can anyone provide a link to the most updated checklist of what to look for upon delivery?
Thanks everyone,

-Mark
I plan to videotape the cars exterior with the delivery person Incase I find something later and will show them the vid.

Just an update on the Blue/Black/Aero. I ordered on 3/14 and got it yesterday. I live near the factory so someone just drove it over to my work and dropped it off. The lady who dropped it off was in recruiting and said everyone was pitching in to help with deliveries. The car was in good shape but a little dirty with our recent rains. I’m excited to have the new ride!
Thanks! That's good to hear that your ride was in good shape.

Ordered March 18th.
White exterior / white seats.
I do not have a VIN but got a text message today that my delivery is scheduled for Friday March 29th.
Seems like a stretch goal on Tesla’s part

I checked my account this morning and it shows delivery on the 29th.... in New York... and I am in Nova Scotia, so don't know what to think. I talked with someone the other day who said the car will ship out to me, so maybe that's the service center it will leave from? I would assume tesla ships larger batches to Canada, not 1 by 1...

Just thought I'd share another data point

FWIW, I'm another MR refugee/upgrader. I ordered the MR white/white with stock 18-inch wheels on March 14 and got a call about the discontinuation and unavailability of the MR on the 20th. There's still no VIN on my order page.

Late last night (Friday, at about 10:00 PM) I got a text stating that my delivery appointment had been "tentatively" scheduled for noon on Thursday the 28th, which would put it exactly two weeks after I placed my order, at the Dedham, MA store. There are two problems with this:

• I still don't know the VIN. Should that appear on the "prepare for delivery" order summary page, or is it hidden elsewhere?
  • I live in Rhode Island, and I was told that I can't have my car delivered in their Massachusetts stores as a result. I opted for home delivery since I don't want to take 6 hours or so to drive to Mt. Kisko NY and back.

I guess I'll have to call Tesla to get these issues resolved -- or maybe the first one will take care of itself eventually, as the information works its way through Tesla's computers....

Text today 3/22 about Delivery Date 3/29 (like a lot of people got today - just in time for their numbers)

• How are you guys feeling about your car being produced in this rushed fashion?
  • Has anyone taken delivery recently where they had multiple, larger issues with the build quality?
  • Where do you find the VIN number on your TESLA account?
  • Can anyone provide a link to the most updated checklist of what to look for upon delivery?
Thanks everyone,

This occurred to me, as well. I can only say that I'm hopeful that standards won't slip due to the rush. They have made quite a number of these cars now, so that encourages me to be hopeful. I will definitely, however, do a thorough walk-around to observe panel fits, seals, functionality of doors, door handles, trunks, fit of carpets, tightness of things like sun visors, consoles, glove compartment, seatbelts, etc. (I'm sure most of you know the technique of using a credit card to slide along the seams to check panel fits.) I'm going to have a close look at the windshield, back glass seals, functionality of the windows, noise while braking, and everything else. If something gets past me, it won't be because I didn't try to check thoroughly. I suggest everyone who feels their car might have been produced quickly do the same.

3/3: Ordered a M3 LR with AP, FSD, and 18" Aero wheels. Blue exterior, white interior.

3/20: Called Tesla, spoke to a human, received my VIN (they said it had just been assigned the night before), delivery date assigned to 3/25 @ midnight

3/21: Received my trade-in packet, delivery date changed to 3/22 @ midnight

3/22: Sent back my trade-in packet, delivery date changed to "within 2 weeks from order date placed"

3/23 (8:30am): Just got a surprise call from the truck driver that he had my car on the truck right now and would be delivering it in 5-6 hours

3/23 (9:30am): Received a call from someone (don't think it was Tesla?) about picking up my trade-in on Monday

Note: my delivery estimate still says "within 2 weeks from order date placed"

Just an update on the Blue/Black/Aero. I ordered on 3/14 and got it yesterday. I live near the factory so someone just drove it over to my work and dropped it off. The lady who dropped it off was in recruiting and said everyone was pitching in to help with deliveries. The car was in good shape but a little dirty with our recent rains. I’m excited to have the new ride!
Pictures?

Late last night (Friday, at about 10:00 PM) I got a text stating that my delivery appointment had been "tentatively" scheduled for noon on Thursday the 28th, which would put it exactly two weeks after I placed my order, at the Dedham, MA store. There are two problems with this:

• I still don't know the VIN. Should that appear on the "prepare for delivery" order summary page, or is it hidden elsewhere?
  • I live in Rhode Island, and I was told that I can't have my car delivered in their Massachusetts stores as a result. I opted for home delivery since I don't want to take 6 hours or so to drive to Mt. Kisko NY and back.
Well, since my last post, I saw a VIN appear on the Tesla Web site, but it was still listed as a Dedham pick-up, so I called Tesla Dedham. The person I spoke with updated the Tesla database and said that somebody from the delivery team would contact me soon. Now both the VIN and the delivery date have disappeared from my order summary page; it's back to saying I'll get the car "within 2 weeks from order placed date." It'll be interesting to see if I get the same VIN reassigned, or get some other car instead.

6324E595-7591-4DB5-96D7-CA1255686C4C.png
Finally got delivery confirmation for to da March 23 330pm. So much for that personalized experience. See email image. I am excited. It’s only 1 week delayed. Will post once I pick it up. Long planned Road trip tomorrow.

Can the delivery times be changed easily? I don’t know how they can expect someone to be home on a Friday at noon. Tried calling but can’t get through. I imagine they will have a busy week but hopefully they can deliver after work hours

The Costa Mesa delivery and service center is the main delivery hub for all of Orange County, which probably has more Teslas than anywhere other than the Bay Area. When I picked up my car on Thursday, the place was dead. I'd say there were one or two other customers there besides me, and at least 30 Tesla employees standing around. I spent over an hour going over the car to make sure it was OK and nobody seemed the slightest bit bothered about how long I was taking. When I didn't like how one of the door trim pieces lined up, they offered to take it to the service center to fix it. It came back ten minutes later and was fixed perfectly.

So I guess every location is different regarding overall volume. Your experience may vary significantly.

Can the delivery times be changed easily? I don’t know how they can expect someone to be home on a Friday at noon. Tried calling but can’t get through. I imagine they will have a busy week but hopefully they can deliver after work hours

Tesla delivery centers are notorious for ignoring phone calls. Here is what I found works best to change your delivery appointment:

Call the local delivery center. When you get to the option for deliveries you will likely get offered to either leave a voicemail or be transferred to headquarters, which is typically in Las Vegas. Press the option to transfer to headquarters. Here's where it gets a little tricky. When you get to headquarters they will ask you for your zip code. If you give it to them you will just get transferred back to the voice jail system at your local delivery center. It will ask you three times to enter your zip code. Ignore it all three times and you will get transferred to an attendant. They have full access to the calendars and can change your delivery appointment to whatever you need. I got right through and got the exact date and time I needed to pick up my car.

Tesla delivery centers are notorious for ignoring phone calls. Here is what I found works best to change your delivery appointment:

Call the local delivery center. When you get to the option for deliveries you will likely get offered to either leave a voicemail or be transferred to headquarters, which is typically in Las Vegas. Press the option to transfer to headquarters. Here's where it gets a little tricky. When you get to headquarters they will ask you for your zip code. If you give it to them you will just get transferred back to the voice jail system at your local delivery center. It will ask you three times to enter your zip code. Ignore it all three times and you will get transferred to an attendant. They have full access to the calendars and can change your delivery appointment to whatever you need. I got right through and got the exact date and time I needed to pick up my car.

I have to give this a shot tomorrow. My local delivery place will be Fremont but by default it’s deliver at home since we live close by the Fremont plant

I just use zip code 66604 which I've learned always goes straight to Las Vegas call center.