Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Massively ICE'd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have yet to see the Buckeye superchargers ICEd.

I charge there a couple times a week and usually there's no one there, at Buckeye, including Tesla owners which is lonely ;-). Although last week I was charging and watched a truck towing a toy like the one in the original post, circle the lot and pull in blocking the South three charging stalls next to me. I got irritated, but then the guy and his kids got out and started making friendly remarks about my car so I just let it go. There wasn't anyplace else for him really, and we weren't using it. Good to know about the statute though, in case the place ever gets busy.

When I'm in California though - then I get pissed because there really is so much competition for space, for everything really. Until SD gets it's supercharger I have to deal with those Level 2's so I can make it back to Yuma. The So Cal segment is not yet the effortless cross-country trip that Tesla has provided for us here in AZ.

Wow, the paranoid factor is way TOO high for me on this thread...give it rest guys.

Most people don't know or care about Tesla drivers. No conspiracy going on.

Sorry, but you have not been to the Harris Ranch parking lot for you to make this statement. There is ABUNDANT parking for trailers and semis all over the place in and around the same parking lot where the SCs are. This fact, combined with the trailer-truck's owners lies when asked if it was his vehicle, makes it a certainty that the driver did this with intent. This was no accident. And there have been plenty of people who have targeted Teslas for vandalism here in CA. No one is imagining or paranoid about that.

Sorry, but you have not been to the Harris Ranch parking lot for you to make this statement. There is ABUNDANT parking for trailers and semis all over the place in and around the same parking lot where the SCs are. This fact, combined with the trailer-truck's owners lies when asked if it was his vehicle, makes it a certainty that the driver did this with intent. This was no accident. And there have been plenty of people who have targeted Teslas for vandalism here in CA. No one is imagining or paranoid about that.

Cars (no matter the brand) are targeted everyday by vandals. Let's call out the firing squad the next time this happens...

I'm wondering if Tesla could change the way the setup these "parking" spaces. Right now they are setup like parking spaces and not like a refueling space. It would require more space, but if they setup more like a traditional refuelling island the ICE vehicles might not feel like they can park there. Almost all the photos I see of ICE's spaces are where the pedestal is at the back and the Tesla would back into the space for fuelling. The few sites that have the pedestal on an island at the front (out in the lot) of the space don't seem to be ICE'd as often. If they were pull through islands, it might be even better. Just a thought.

I'm wondering if Tesla could change the way the setup these "parking" spaces. Right now they are setup like parking spaces and not like a refueling space. It would require more space, but if they setup more like a traditional refuelling island the ICE vehicles might not feel like they can park there. Almost all the photos I see of ICE's spaces are where the pedestal is at the back and the Tesla would back into the space for fuelling. The few sites that have the pedestal on an island at the front (out in the lot) of the space don't seem to be ICE'd as often. If they were pull through islands, it might be even better. Just a thought.

This begins to get at the real issue. The problem, in my opinion, is that superchargers should never have been PARKING SPACES. They should be electric "gas" stations. With "pumps" that you pull up to. Sure, you might sit and "park" for an hour or so, but, so what, it's a slow "gas" station.

It would take more real estate and therefore cost more but it would be obvious that this is not a parking lot for the non-educated/ignorant ICErs out there. They would see this thing, maybe pull up, discover it is not a gas station but an electric charging station, and have no reason to stick around a "pump".

The world has had 100 years of gas stations and everyone knows what they are, and the behavior around them is known by all and in our genes. Parking lots have been around for just as long and the behavior around THEM is also known by all and also in our genes. Problem is, parking lot behavior is very different than gas station behavior.

The big problem here is that Tesla is being cheap, kinda has to be, in locating Supercharger sites in busy parking lots where people, you know, PARK. It should be locating Supercharger sites somewhere else. I personally would be glad to walk a little further to the local greasy spoon if these ICEing situations were mostly eliminated because Superchargers were no longer located in parking lots. Not going to happen, I know.

Cars (no matter the brand) are targeted everyday by vandals. Let's call out the firing squad the next time this happens...

Gee, how non-responsive. Fact is there are people who are specifically targeting Teslas like the OP's case. These aren't just people who spit or key nice cars, who typically cannot be caught and nothing short of security cameras or perhaps on board cameras can catch. But they're in plain view, and taking overt (and in California's case illegal) actions against EVs. Last I checked, parking enforcement (and in California it can be enforced legally) is an easy, measured, effective and revenue generating response that doesn't involve the death penalty for offenders.

With the software capabilities at Tesla, they could program a camera system to watch the Supercharger locations. It should be easy to program a system that can recognize a Tesla versus another vehicle. If another vehicle parks in a space, an automated recording could announce "Please do not park in the Supercharger station space unless you are charging a Tesla." Simple program, and nobody needs to man it, and it can also document folks that ignore the request by photographing their plate and vehicle as well as the footage of them getting out of the car and ignoring the request to move.

I'd have just recorded him and his license plate info and put it on Youtube. Nothing like a good public shaming to change behavior.
The rolling coal crowd would probably up vote him and make him famous.

Even the general public may be on his side, as he's sticking it the those "Rich Tesla Owners". Sadly, anti success sentiment is growing in popularity in the US these days...

I still think large green traffic cones that owners can remove and replace in the charging spots would stop a majority of ICEing. The cones can be tethered to the stall base, even with a retractable cable spool so they aren't stolen or misplaced. Of course, it would be up to the driver leaving the stall to replace the cone, but if it reduced ICEing, I'd do it.

If Harris Ranch had a green cone in each of the spots, I doubt this guy would have parked there.

I thinking more that given the ATV or whatever they were towing, you may be able to easily walk around the restaurant and try to guess likely possibilities of people to approach. Perhaps people that had dusty clothing and unlikely to be people with small children etc...

Me no shy, either. How hard is it to say something like; "Whoever owns such and such a vehicle, it just got backed into."

I can be a bit of a prankster so if I saw a car that was clearly ICEing an EV spot on purpose (especially if there were other viable spots in the parking lot etc., or the guy had anti-green bumper stickers of somethin) I would put snarky bumper stickers on his car at the very least. Hell, I might even make some and carry them around with me for just such occasions.

You could have the always useful "I AM AN UNTHINKING JERK" or be more creative... I'm thinking obnoxiously hippie treehugging stickers would be way funnier and ironic.
Or possibly stickers from the opposite side of the political spectrum to which he belongs. (Let's be real, putting Obamacare stickers on a rolling coal pickup would be pretty hilarious)

Sure it's a bit passive aggressive, but so is knowingly ICEing a spot. (Also, I don't care about jerks' feelings.)

@Rheazombi, your approach will only serve to damage relations between ICE owners and EV owners and will not help the EV cause. Education and gentle persuasion is a better way.

True but education for a person who is doing something on purpose because they hate EV and their owners will do nothing. It's hard to know sometimes what someone's intention is though.

@Rheazombi, your approach will only serve to damage relations between ICE owners and EV owners and will not help the EV cause. Education and gentle persuasion is a better way.
I agree, we need to educate people and not act just like those that either do not care or do not know. Otherwise we come across as wealthy snobby luxury electric car owners who feel that we are entitled. I think most of us do not fit into this category just want to have a fun car to drive that happens to not need gas.