Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Ryan27 Yep, just the shills seem to have received some "non public version" (e.g., .26) after hours, and sometime after the public release... I guess someone felt Tesla needed to redirect the thought Tesla intentionally, and silently, excluded all yoke equipped cars from getting the initial release - so someone may be trying to create a false perception that the yoke cars really did get it like everyone else (but we here on TMC know better).

Maybe Tesla is testing this version for release to plaid owners in about two weeks?
We will see, I don't suggest any yokers hold their breath!

Reactions: Ramphex
What?! Green told me it's totally unusable in any sort of traffic! And he's got the scoop on all the Tesla sekret sauce!

/s
I totally get what you're saying, and agree, really.

But to be fair to Green...

There are places in my town where it performs well, but in others it is dangerous to use.

The fact that it performs vastly different from one place to another is one of the reasons, IMO, that we see people reporting both "this thing is awesome!" and others saying, "this thing is trash!" Honestly, they're both right.

Of course, one man's trash is another man's awesome, so there's also individual point of view bias, too.

Drive by *sugar* post.
Say what you want. I’m happy with my decision to cancel my purchase of FSD for $10k. I made that decision several months after my Model S refresh was supposed to arrive and it became apparent that Tesla never had any intent or ability to deliver the car on the date they represented to me. I’m still waiting, 10 months later. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

OK, after three full days and maybe 100 miles on FSD beta I'm starting to get used to how the car behaves. For what it's worth, I have a relatively early 2018 Model 3 dual motor which had the HW3 upgrade done about a year ago, VIN is just over 100K. (My newer 2021 Model Y does not have FSD). Here is a summary of my experiences so far:

First the most serious issues I have seen:
  • Random lane change attempts in traffic. On a drive I took yesterday on a relatively busy 4-lane divided urban road, the car put its signal on several times trying to change into the wrong lane shortly before needing to turn from the lane that it was in. There were cases that occurred from both lanes. In all cases I disengaged and turned off the turn signal, sometimes momentarily signaling the opposite way briefly by mistake. I'm sure the people behind me thought I was nuts. Unfortunately I was short on time during that drive, but when I have more time I'm going to drive that stretch of road again, enter the same destination and just let it do what it wants to completion.
  • Wandering into right turn lanes at high speed on multi-lane divided roads. In all but one case that this happened, the car corrected and darted back into the correct lane once it recognized it had drifted into the turn lane. In one case it just kept going at full speed, was about to run out of runway and I disengaged and got it back into the correct lane.
  • School zones with temporary daily speed limits. It seems to correctly drive 20 mph if there is a fixed sign about the school zone (this is the case near an elementary school by my house), but if there is a sign that says "when flashing" the car never drops down to 20 mph and just tries to blow through at 40 mph (this is the case near a high school by my house).
  • Speed bumps. It will happily try to fly over speed bumps way, way too fast.
  • There is one turn in my neighborhood that I'm convinced will result in crashing my car if I let FSD do what it wants. It's basically a left turn from the main road onto a tee'd road, and for whatever dumb reason the intersection is built such that the tee'd road narrows to almost one lane where it connects to the main road (I think this was to throttle driver speed through our neighborhood, or maybe it was for aesthetics, but it's just dumb). The curbs are very high on all sides of the tee'd road, and several times the car tried to confidently drive straight into the curb without making the turn sharply enough. I flagged it a couple times already, and now I just don't bother letting it try because it's too stressful.
Things that work but could work better:
  • Residential streets with no lane markings. Others on this thread have cited this as well, but the car sometimes drives right down the middle of the road, and other times it drives past parked cars with what feels like just inches of margin, unnecessarily. I have rarely been brave enough to let it keep going down the middle of the road as oncoming cars have approached, so I don't know if it will always correct as cars get closer. But it gets much too close to oncoming cars for my comfort.
  • Roundabouts. In my neighborhood there are numerous roundabouts (traffic circles), some are singles lane and some are two-lane.
    • In all but one case the car stopped before entering the roundabout. It has always stopped when entering the left lane of a two-lane roundabout (this would be going 180 or 270 degrees through the roundabout). If you just let it take its time (I have only done with when there are no vehicles behind me) it eventually proceeds and drives sanely through the roundabout.
    • In one case I entered a two-lane roundabout in the right lane before making a 90 degree exit, no cars around, and the car proceeded confidently through the 90 degree turn without hesitation.
  • Occasional hesitation turning left at busy intersections with no oncoming traffic.
  • Turning left on residential streets, the turns are sometimes too tight across the left lane. If a car approached quickly in that lane this might be a problem - plus it just feels too cavalier to cut across the left lane when turning (I'd probably yell at my kid if he did that). Doesn't always happen, and the car seems to always turn properly when there is a car waiting in that lane on the road you are turning onto.
  • Navigational issues. You're basically at the mercy of the navigational route chosen, and in some cases this would result in taking an undesired route to your destination. There is also a relatively new (like 5 years old, but still) connection between my neighborhood and another neighborhood, and the stupid nav system does not comprehend that these neighborhoods are connected and prefers to take very long routes out to major arteries to get to destinations in the other neighborhood. In another case there is a new exit off the interstate near my neighborhood, and FSD misses the exit every time because it is not yet mapped properly. There is also a gated community near my house, and it tries to navigate through the gated community instead of around it. These are not really FSD problems, but I wish there was a way to manually influence the routes in some way.
Helpful hints I have figured out:
  • Using the accelerator to encourage the car forward. In all of the cases where hesitation is a problem (roundabouts, left turns), you can nudge the car forward by pressing the accelerator, and the result works just fine. That ability alone has allowed me to drive many miles without interventions, because I'm generally not willing to let the car take all the time it wants if there are cars behind me.
  • Monitoring and tweaking the speed periodically using the right thumbwheel. I think this helps you feel like the car is driving more normally and is still under your control. In some cases like school zones I have had to manually crank the speed down significantly.
  • Hands gently touching the wheel at all times. The wheel is definitely more sensitive to disengagements when operating in FSD compared with autopilot, as others here have mentioned. I have found that keeping both ends gently touching each side of the wheel and letting the wheel slide past my fingers is the best way to keep it from disengaging. If I rest a hand on the bottom of the wheel like I do with autopilot, it typically disengages from the pressure of my hand whenever it needs to turn. You can also tweak the volume knob to reset the disengagement timer, but that's kind of a pain to keep remembering to do.
  • Use the stalk to disengage instead of grabbing the wheel, if possible. I have noticed that if you grab the wheel as the form of disengagement - which I typically do when the car drives to close to parked vehicles - the automatic speed control stays engaged, similar to the way autopilot behaves if you do this on highways. This was very disorienting the first few times it happened to me, and now I have gotten into the habit of disengaging with the stalk (or brake, if you need to stop quickly) to avoid this. I guess it makes sense; if you grab the wheel to avoid something, you probably don't want the car abruptly stopping as well, but it's still hard to get used to grabbing the wheel and having the car continue proceeding forward automatically.
OK, now the things that have blown me away:
  • Construction zones. I feel like I've read that other people have had problems in construction zones, but so far my experience has been flawless and even mind blowing.
    • In one case there were workers who blocked off the left turn lane with cones at an intersection where I needed to turn left, and they were actively working in the intersection laying down markings while the light was red. The car cautiously directed itself into the left through-lane adjacent to the turn lane, waited patiently for one of the workers to finish up in front of the car (and believe me, I had both ends on the wheel and my foot a millimeter off the brake while I observed it), and then it slowly proceeded and completed its left turn from the lane that it was forced into by the blockage in the turn lane. Amazing.
    • In another case there was a large flashing construction arrow sign in front of a blocked lane, and the car confidently changed lanes well in advance of the arrow, proceeded through the construction zone at a sane speed, and then got back into the lane it wanted after passing the construction zone.
  • Merging on and off the highway. I have to admit, I haven't used NoA to merge onto a highway in quite a long time due to issues it had early on which made me nervous merging onto highways so I don't know if it works better now, but FSD handled all of four or five highway merges that I have done absolutely perfectly. In one case, while I was on the interstate driving in the right lane and numerous vehicles were coming onto the highway to merge around me, the car gently braked to give a merging car just a little more room. The driver waved to thank me! Mind blowing. I have also noticed that FSD seems content to stay in the same lane on the highway, while NoA always wants to get into a faster lane even if our exit is coming up soon, which is a welcome difference to me but could also be related to how I have NoA configured.
  • Left turns at busy intersections. These will probably scare the daylights out of me for a long time to come, but I have seen numerous cases where the car pulled out, waited patiently and then confidently turned after oncoming traffic passed.
  • Right turns at red lights. Similarly, I have seen the car several times stop, then inch forward, "look" for cross traffic and then confidently make its turn just like a human would.
  • Residential driving. If there are no other cars around making me worry about the car hugging the center of the road - and no parked cars that it drives too close to - driving in residential zones is smooth and confident. Puts its turn signal on at the correct time, slows for turns, turns confidently and accelerates gently through the back half of the turn, just amazing. I have to think that the vehicle positioning issues on unmarked residential streets will improve in future updates.
I just want to reiterate how historic this is. I just hope that we all get through this without any major incidents that slow down Tesla's development trajectory. Good luck to all. I'll update occasionally with interesting findings.

ding ding ding

do you really think they have the resources to look through a gazillion video clips and data logs from all the new users? They're just collecting high level statistics from the fleet. Besides, you think the devs don't know the problems and limitations by now? They know the creep function is inconsistent, it doesn't always perceive certain obstacles, etc. The whole "Beta tester" thing is to cover themselves legally and to make early adopter types think they have access to something exclusive and special.

I'm sure the vast majority of actual testing is done by internal employees who are working on new features before they get any kind of release to non-Tesla people.
I also believe this official beta is all about throwing a bone to the dog. Marketing mostly. Testing and development is in house.
At a later stage when one can drive 5000 miles without an intervention, volume of testers matter. Now, with 1-5 mile between interventions data becomes noise.

Say what you want. I’m happy with my decision to cancel my purchase of FSD for $10k. I made that decision several months after my Model S refresh was supposed to arrive and it became apparent that Tesla never had any intent or ability to deliver the car on the date they represented to me. I’m still waiting, 10 months later. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
I got no problem with you canceling your purchase of fsd or saying it isn’t worth it. I’m sympathetic.

I also believe this official beta is all about throwing a bone to the dog. Marketing mostly. Testing and development is in house.
At a later stage when one can drive 5000 miles without an intervention, volume of testers matter. Now, with 1-5 mile between interventions data becomes noise.
I disagree. Having watched the videos on Tesla's FSD computer architecture, their Dojo neural net training "supercomputer", etc., I think their neural network will benefit from having more drivers in more diverse locations. The problem they are trying to solve of using a neural network to perform an extraordinarily complex function is solved through both training and additional heuristics, and the more data they have, the more that both will be improved.

@S4WRXTTCS Yes, many real people got the beta FSD, which is great and why I created this thread; to capture real people’s impressions (not influencers or the financially motivated). It’s also true that all the real people who own refreshed MS cars were 100% excluded for unknown reasons. That’s fair game for discussion in this thread as well. To answer your, “who cares” question… I do, the OP of this thread cares.
This whole thing is a perfect example of Elon doing it wrong.

I've read @jebinc 's posts here for over two years now. A more pro-Tesla guy I had never seen. He started with a Model 3. Loved it so much, he replaced it with a Model Y and a Plaid. Purchased FSD, too. Even replaced his wheel on his Y with a yoke.

How are guys like him rewarded for their support? By silently being excluded with no explanation. And even WORSE, a misinformation campaign starts up trying to convince people they HADN'T been excluded.

Not the way to recover from your mistake, Elon. Misinformation campaigns are NEVER the right answer; I think Elon has spent too much time in China.

This whole situation is discouraging, to say the least.

C'mon, Elon. You can do better than this. Don't piss off your greatest supporters.

We will see, I don't suggest any yokers hold their breath!

bitf.jpg

C'mon, Elon. You can do better than this. Don't piss off your greatest supporters.

Elon has a chronic habit of not fleshing out the details, especially with AP and FSD. He just voices things he wants to get done, without sitting down and thinking about all the details (he simply doesn't have time). His team then tries their best to do what he says without messing anything up or get involved in too much risk. That's what we end up with lol

Time and time again, there are big supporters of Tesla who get shafted, but the Tesla machine continues moving regardless. Not to say what's going on is right, but not everyone will be happy...

This whole thing is a perfect example of Elon doing it wrong.

I've read @jebinc 's posts here for over two years now. A more pro-Tesla guy I had never seen. He started with a Model 3. Loved it so much, he replaced it with a Model Y and a Plaid. Purchased FSD, too. Even replaced his wheel on his Y with a yoke.

How are guys like him rewarded for their support? By silently being excluded with no explanation. And even WORSE, a misinformation campaign starts up trying to convince people they HADN'T been excluded.

Not the way to recover from your mistake, Elon. Misinformation campaigns are NEVER the right answer; I think Elon has spent too much time in China.

This whole situation is discouraging, to say the least.

@Phlier Many thanks for the vote of understanding and support! 🥰

I disagree. Having watched the videos on Tesla's FSD computer architecture, their Dojo neural net training "supercomputer", etc., I think their neural network will benefit from having more drivers in more diverse locations. The problem they are trying to solve of using a neural network to perform an extraordinarily complex function is solved through both training and additional heuristics, and the more data they have, the more that both will be improved.
I would think that "solve one problem at at time" would require more specific data sets.
Dojo is not operational yet. Somebody need to label the data.
I just think it is too much. The cars fail at basic everyday scenarios, not rare corner cases.

I've started a new thread to keep track of all the FSD Beta issues. The issues can be added in the spreadsheet. We can use the thread to discuss issues. We can use this thread to discuss FSD Beta rollout (as originally intended).