Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm new to FSD Beta, as of Dec 30th, starting with 2021.44.25.6 on my Legacy Dec 2016 MX (after having the needed Camera Upgrade).

The weather has been very snowy, and many roads fully covered, this past week, so I'm not expecting great FSD results. I have had limited experiences using it especially in my neighborhood that has many Roundabouts.

However, I do have several Newby questions, and apologize if they have been addressed previously:

1) How & when do I use the camera icon at top of MCU, to report FSD issues.
2) When I engage FSD, my TACC misreads the Speed Limit shown on my dashboard, when sign ends in zero. For example 30 mph icon shown on dashboard, gets set to 36mph TACC., and 50mph on dash gets set to 56mph TACC. Has anyone else experienced this?
3) The new Tesla Vision Perpendicular AutoPark, does not seem to work. I have tried to use this in an indoor parking lot. My dashboard displays parked cars as well as open spaces, but I do not get the P icon on my MCU, designating a parking spot available.
4) Has anyone emailed any issues to [email protected], and actually got a response

Any and all responses and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

1) whenever the car does something you think it shouldn't do, press that button.

2) you likely have a fixed +6mph speed offset in your autopilot settings. set it to zero if you want FSD to obey speed limit

3) I'll let others address this, as I have no interest in autopark :D

4) I have never gotten a response, and their recent autoresponse emails say that they most likely won't respond, but they do read every email that comes in.

I have to leave my driveway and drive about 100 feet before FSD can be enabled. One wonders what the common denominator is?
Here is my car down in the parking deck.

IMG_0182.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: impastu
I'm new to FSD Beta, as of Dec 30th, starting with 2021.44.25.6 on my Legacy Dec 2016 MX (after having the needed Camera Upgrade).

The weather has been very snowy, and many roads fully covered, this past week, so I'm not expecting great FSD results. I have had limited experiences using it especially in my neighborhood that has many Roundabouts.

However, I do have several Newby questions, and apologize if they have been addressed previously:

1) How & when do I use the camera icon at top of MCU, to report FSD issues.
2) When I engage FSD, my TACC misreads the Speed Limit shown on my dashboard, when sign ends in zero. For example 30 mph icon shown on dashboard, gets set to 36mph TACC., and 50mph on dash gets set to 56mph TACC. Has anyone else experienced this?
3) The new Tesla Vision Perpendicular AutoPark, does not seem to work. I have tried to use this in an indoor parking lot. My dashboard displays parked cars as well as open spaces, but I do not get the P icon on my MCU, designating a parking spot available.
4) Has anyone emailed any issues to [email protected], and actually got a response

Any and all responses and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Welcome to FSD
#1- Up to you but I would restrict it to serious disengagements or something you feel is an edge case.
#2- Check your Autopilot settings for "Set Speed" and the "Offset"
#3- I've never used AutoPark
#4- I've only gotten an automated reply response.

• Helpful
Reactions: impastu
You can press it while driving, though some people have been told that you should wait a little bit ~15 seconds, after the event so that it can capture the after portion as well.

I would probably not wait a full 15 seconds. at one point, the video clips being sent were the 15 seconds that occured before you press the button. They maybe have lengthened this more recently, but you run the risk of not capturing the intended moment if you wait too long. 5 seconds after the errant behavior seems like a good compromise.

had the opportunity to retry my route that normally completely messes up the map location.
I thought I'd skip FSD at the start of my drive because the map was so far out - it kept saying turn left on 34th, but I was over 20 blocks away ;)
All my previous attempts had been earlier build, this was the first on 10.8
Previously it would take 5-10miles are driving to almost get back to normal.
This time it took four blocks. All of a sudden it reset itself and accurately hit the correct road and even the correct side.
I engaged FSD immediately and it smoothly took me through all the lights to get to the highway, got onto the highway, drove 22 miles in stop/go traffic.
I had one disengagement due to an odd exit and light arrangement, but the rest of the drive also worked well.
This was one of the smoothest FSD drives I've had and easily resets my normal disengagements per mile rate - 4 for the whole 26 mile drive. A new record.

Of course later in the day I had to drive on my normal neighborhood route and it was the usual 2-3 disengagements per mile, total of 10-15 for the whole 6 mile round trip.

Win some, lose some :D

Been a while, busy with work (which is basically driving). 10.8 has been a pretty good improvement overall. Still, a little to long on executing turns, both left and right. Had someone honk at me for not taking a right on red right away. I live and spend a fair bit of time in rural areas, FSD still sucks on unmarked roads. Max speed is line 29-31mph. If you put a parking curb on these roads, you would be able to drive the posted speed limit (usually 45-55mph). No curb, your stuck at 29-31mph. I attached a photo of what I’m talking about. Other than that, it’s been pretty good. In city surroundings, some dumb lane choices, and way to late to get into the correct lanes as well. As a whole, 10.8 has been a noticeable improvement.

Attachments

• 4056DA4F-B40A-4F76-AD0B-0DFBFDCE81D5.jpeg
    4056DA4F-B40A-4F76-AD0B-0DFBFDCE81D5.jpeg
    209.7 KB · Views: 42
Hello
New FSD beta since Christmas.
If I don’t click the button to report incidents is my FSD driving generating any (useful) data?
Autopilot learned my route and got better with time. Will something similar happen with FSD (roundabouts etc.)?
Thanks

Hello
If I don’t click the button to report incidents is my FSD driving generating any (useful) data?
Autopilot learned my route and got better with time. Will something similar happen with FSD (roundabouts etc.)?
Thanks
  1. Maybe but know one knows with certainty but Forced Disengagements (Brakes/Steering Wheel) are more likely to generate useful data than swearing at the car.:)
  2. AP didn't "learn" your route. All "learning" is to the Neural Network and any "learned" info is the same to all cars. No cars are "smarter" or "dumber" than other cars.

Hello
Thanks

There have been numerous reports from people that feel their AP/FSD gets better a little bit over time for any given firmware release. This could be a purely psychological phenomenon. As @JulienW mentioned, the AI comes from the mothership, and each car's behavior should only change with new firmware. But I also won't rule out any sort of experimental functionality in each firmware that's attempting to use "memory" data being collected on your local roads. I have zero objective basis for thinking that, btw. grain of salt.

Yes, when using FSD, your car will send relevant data to the mothership at certain times, even if you never pressed the AP snapshot button. Tesla has predefined triggers (situations) that they are interested in. Last I heard there were around 250+ triggers. If your drive has situations that match what they are looking for, the car automatically creates a snapshot of data and video (invisible to you) and sends it to the mothership. Some of those triggers are likely dependent on disengaging FSD under certain situations.

If you have a router that can monitor client traffic, you will see these uploads. I have also had plenty of FSD drives with no button pushes and also no subsequent data uploads. It just depends on if you hit a trigger or not.

There have been numerous reports from people that feel their AP/FSD gets better a little bit over time for any given firmware release. This could be a purely psychological phenomenon. As @JulienW mentioned, the AI comes from the mothership, and each car's behavior should only change with new firmware. But I also won't rule out any sort of experimental functionality in each firmware that's attempting to use "memory" data being collected on your local roads. I have zero objective basis for thinking that, btw. grain of salt.

Yes, when using FSD, your car will send relevant data to the mothership at certain times, even if you never pressed the AP snapshot button. Tesla has predefined triggers (situations) that they are interested in. Last I heard there were around 250+ triggers. If your drive has situations that match what they are looking for, the car automatically creates a snapshot of data and video (invisible to you) and sends it to the mothership. Some of those triggers are likely dependent on disengaging FSD under certain situations.
@novox77

Since 10.8 is my first venture into the world of FSD, I too am learning much from this TMC. So thank you all for that.

From what @novox77 states above, our FSD driving is helping Mothership all the time, Button Pushing or not. Soooo, the more we drive on FSD, theorically the faster each update can improve each release (as a non-tech layman as I, supposes). Maybe that will encourage my wife to accept my FSD driving, even though it scares her to death 😊).

I live in Eagle County in Colorado, which "discovered" Roundabouts several years ago and has embraced installing them to the Max. Our Roundabout variety utilizes 2 lanes and can have 3 or 4 Exit points. Adding to this somewhat "death defying" driving experience is that our Vail & Beaver Creek Resorts attract visitors from all over the world who are neither familiar with the area nor Roundabouts.

My point in bringing this up, is my reluctance to use FSD in these Roundabouts, especially as a FSD Newby. However, in the interest of this Community, I'm willing to take one for the Team.

@novox77 Since I am retired and have much time on my hands, are the 250+ Triggers listed anywhere? Maybe while I'm cruising the Roundabouts I could knock off a few Triggers, as well.

Wish me luck 😊🙏👍

@novox77

Since 10.8 is my first venture into the world of FSD, I too am learning much from this TMC. So thank you all for that.

From what @novox77 states above, our FSD driving is helping Mothership all the time, Button Pushing or not. Soooo, the more we drive on FSD, theorically the faster each update can improve each release (as a non-tech layman as I, supposes). Maybe that will encourage my wife to accept my FSD driving, even though it scares her to death 😊).

I live in Eagle County in Colorado, which "discovered" Roundabouts several years ago and has embraced installing them to the Max. Our Roundabout variety utilizes 2 lanes and can have 3 or 4 Exit points. Adding to this somewhat "death defying" driving experience is that our Vail & Beaver Creek Resorts attract visitors from all over the world who are neither familiar with the area nor Roundabouts.

My point in bringing this up, is my reluctance to use FSD in these Roundabouts, especially as a FSD Newby. However, in the interest of this Community, I'm willing to take one for the Team.

@novox77 Since I am retired and have much time on my hands, are the 250+ Triggers listed anywhere? Maybe while I'm cruising the Roundabouts I could knock off a few Triggers, as well.

Wish me luck 😊🙏👍

I initially learned about triggers from a Tesla hacker with Twitter handle greentheonly. Take a look at this thread. He was clearing up the notion of shadow mode, which Tesla has claimed is constantly comparing driver behavior to what AP would theoretically do in the same situation. Instead, he claims that Tesla just has these campaigns where they look for very specific things in specific situations, and they constantly are running new campaigns. Note this was 2019, and the number of triggers was small.

Here's Karpathy mentioning triggers, with the total at 221 as of July 2021. (Click the "Watch on Youtube" link if the vid is disabled)

I'm having a hard time finding reference to the 250+ triggers. It could have just been speculative extrapolation based on how many new triggers are added over the last few years.

Last edited: