Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone opted back in, after opting out and getting back on production firmware? How did the process work? Did you have to go through the whole safety score BS again? How long did it take for you to get the current version of beta FSD firmware back?

Has anyone opted back in, after opting out and getting back on production firmware? How did the process work? Did you have to go through the whole safety score BS again? How long did it take for you to get the current version of beta FSD firmware back?
Lots of them with the ancient S. See that thread …

But ofcourse your case is different. So, you will once again be a pioneer.

BTW, with so much rain (and snow), FSD doesn’t work half the time. You might as well wait for 11 / Spring, whichever comes first.

Lots of them with the ancient S. See that thread …

But ofcourse your case is different. So, you will once again be a pioneer.

BTW, with so much rain (and snow), FSD doesn’t work half the time. You might as well wait for 11 / Spring, whichever comes first.
Link? I’m looking for the Track mode version of 10.8.1 beta FSD (2021.44.30.5); not for FSD, but for the visuals.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Perhaps I am a bad beta tester, but I have NEVER tested whether the car will yield to avoid a collision. I have ALWAYS found that my ability to foresee being cut off and apply the breaks is faster than the reaction of the car.

Maybe I should start another thread, but my concern is about where within its lane should a self-driving car drive (middle, curb, furthest distance from others)? What should the response be to another car that is carelessly drifting into the Tesla’s lane? Should the Tesla move before the other car enters its lane? How much after? What about if the Tesla is in a middle lane?
For a Level 2 AV to make a collision avoidance move - and getting it wrong will raise all kinds of fuss. For a Level 3-5 doing the same is just as bad, but at least the blame goes to the car manufacturer.

Level 2 could try to avoid a collision, but I wouldn't bet on it doing better than the "blameworthy" safety driver. You're the one who's gonna take the heat.

Just got 10.8.1 and went for my short 3 + 3 mile test drive. It does seem to be better than 10.8, less turning jerkiness but still mini-hesitations when light turns green, car starts going but does a micro-slowdown and resumes, etc.

Seems to be improved at unprotected rights at stop lights, faster at making a decision to go, also doesn't seem to be haphazardly turning through unprotected rights with mini islands (pretty common for me with 10.8: car just seems to blow through unprotected rights without checking for cars? or maybe it already "knows"? I doubt it because it's done it with a nearby u-turner)

It also seems the visualizations are sharper, bolder, or just my imagination with the dark interface. I don't routinely drive at night.

I don't think I disengaged at all during the drive, mostly some minor accelerator pushes.

Could just be all placebo effect, and it's a pretty short drive.

Today the AI god's punished me for my comments in another thread yesterday berating not just Tesla's automatic wipers, but all vehicles' automatic wiper technology.

I started out on a 200 km round trip in perfectly sunny weather with an outside air temperature of -10°C. On a two line highway, the automatic wipers came on at high speed and wouldn't stop unless I disengaged FSD and shut them off manually. On reengaging FSD, the wipers went crazy again. Once I entered the interstate highway, NOA took over and the wiper frenzy abated. When I got to my destination, I checked the front windshield and it was clean. I'm not sure what happened, but it was no fun.

Perhaps I am a bad beta tester, but I have NEVER tested whether the car will yield to avoid a collision. I have ALWAYS found that my ability to foresee being cut off and apply the breaks is faster than the reaction of the car.
Yeah, keeping doing that! Especially since it's FSD Beta. I had some someone cut across two lanes and abruptly cut me off. I reacted before the car, slammed on the brakes, and narrowly avoided a wreck. Maybe the car would've reacted a split second later, what I wasn't going to test that! Besides, the split second later might've been too late.

I will also say that the car has sometimes reacted a split second ahead of me or at the same time in other situations.

Yeah, keeping doing that! Especially since it's FSD Beta. I had some someone cut across two lanes and abruptly cut me off. I reacted before the car, slammed on the brakes, and narrowly avoided a wreck. Maybe the car would've reacted a split second later, what I wasn't going to test that! Besides, the split second later might've been too late.

I will also say that the car has sometimes reacted a split second ahead of me or at the same time in other situations.

In one of the prior update notes, Tesla mentioned that emergency collision avoidance was in shadow mode. It hasn't been mentioned since, so I'm assuming fsd beta isn't programmed to avoid sudden dangerous situations yet.

Just got 10.8.1 and went for my short 3 + 3 mile test drive. It does seem to be better than 10.8, less turning jerkiness but still mini-hesitations when light turns green, car starts going but does a micro-slowdown and resumes, etc.

Seems to be improved at unprotected rights at stop lights, faster at making a decision to go, also doesn't seem to be haphazardly turning through unprotected rights with mini islands (pretty common for me with 10.8: car just seems to blow through unprotected rights without checking for cars? or maybe it already "knows"? I doubt it because it's done it with a nearby u-turner)

It also seems the visualizations are sharper, bolder, or just my imagination with the dark interface. I don't routinely drive at night.

I don't think I disengaged at all during the drive, mostly some minor accelerator pushes.

Could just be all placebo effect, and it's a pretty short drive.
@powertoold Do you have a Plaid with track mode? What beta firmware?

I got 10.8.1 last night (from 10.8). Compared the release notes at NotaTeslaApp and it appears that this release only adds a reset of the FSD 'jail' counter; the other statements on driving changes appear to be identical to 10.8.

I'm pretty sure they tweaked fsd beta with 10.8.1. Otherwise, there's no reason they'd slowly roll it out like prior fsd beta versions. I think the first leaks about 10.8.1 were on Thursday night or Friday.

Also, 10.8.1 hasn't widely rolled out. The original beta testers still haven't gotten it. So if the reset is the only change, this rollout is odd. I'm also aware that the release notes haven't changed from 10.8.

g
Link? I’m looking for the Track mode version of 10.8.1 beta FSD (2021.44.30.5); not for FSD, but for the visuals.
This one …

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/promised-resolution-fsd’s-earliest-adopters-find-themselves-again-deprioritized-and-forgotten.243556/page-101#post-6300502

Some of them we’re waiting for FSD and then opted out. Now with camera upgrades are back trying to get good SS.

Reactions: impastu and jebinc
I got to do my nightmare route down highway 290 from Austin to Houston again this weekend.
This time I used my FSD disabled driver profile - so much better.
Of course it still sees the flashing yellow warning signs and interprets those as traffic light, but so much better than the FSD stack.

One oddity coming out of Giddings though.
Driving on FSD ( I forgot to switch profiles) and the car is nicely handling the gradual speed limit increases as usual - however, just as it hits the 55 signs it decides that the right lane isn't good enough and indicates to pull into the left lane. No cars in front and no obstructions.
I let it move over to see what happened and let it drive there for a short while before I indicated so it would go back to the right lane - then it did it again.
Thats when I changed driver profiles again to disable FSD the journey :)

• Informative
Reactions: edseloh and impastu
there's no reason they'd slowly roll it out like prior fsd beta versions
Could be standard operating procedure now to roll out new versions to ~10% of the FSD Beta population after employees but before 100%. Although one oddity according to Teslascope and TeslaFi data, it seems like there's a low percentage of new FSD Beta additions coming from 2021.44.25.2 (non-FSD holiday update), so maybe they did intend for a full rollout given that newly added testers are getting it even before pre-safety-score testers.

fsd beta 13 weeks.png

Assuming the 10% population sample also applied to the new wave, looks like there will be about 300 more vehicles in a full 100% rollout of 10.8.1.

One thing that 10.8.1 improves is when the car moves into the left-most left-turn lane with an island, in 10.8, it usually moves into the lane quickly and too close to the left curb of the island. In 10.8.1, I feel less curb anxiety in this situation; it's about 3 inches farther away from the curb vs 10.8's maximum closeness.

Let me know if I'm imagining this.

it usually moves into the lane quickly and too close to the left curb of the island
Where is the island? It sounds like the island is to the right if you're getting too close to the left side of it?

I'm not sure if it regressed with 10.8.x as I don't usually make this particular left turn, but 10.8.1 turned just a little bit too early and partially drove over a rounded island/median. I knew it was rounded and noticed FSD Beta was starting to turn, so I let it happen anyway but took over once the car started tilting.