Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to leave my driveway and drive about 100 feet before FSD can be enabled. One wonders what the common denominator is?
Same. Would love for me to be able to engage both as soon as I pull out of the garage as well as have my car turn into my driveway on the way home. Right now I have to wait to engage AFTER I turn out of my driveway into my secondary road/street leaving. On the way home FSD Beta stops directly in front of my driveway (perpendicular) to it and says I’ve arrived.

Ski

10.8.1 in the pipeline
For it to be a FSD Beta 10.x.1 dot release, it probably doesn't have much FSD Beta related changes and is more for incorporating safety changes from 2021.44.30. People have been mentioning issues with heat pump in very cold places on 2021.44.25.x firmwares.

I guess this might also mean a regular FSD Beta 10.9 is not happening today/tomorrow to push out a dot release.

For it to be a FSD Beta 10.x.1 dot release, it probably doesn't have much FSD Beta related changes and is more for incorporating safety changes from 2021.44.30. People have been mentioning issues with heat pump in very cold places on 2021.44.25.x firmwares.

I guess this might also mean a regular FSD Beta 10.9 is not happening today/tomorrow to push out a dot release.

Yep I think you're correct. These appear to be verbatim release notes to 10.8

Hello
New FSD beta since Christmas.
If I don’t click the button to report incidents is my FSD driving generating any (useful) data?
Autopilot learned my route and got better with time. Will something similar happen with FSD (roundabouts etc.)?
Thanks
Even if there are zero disengagements or other driver inputs to correct FSD Beta (such as go pedal or turn indicator) that are inputs to Tesla for improvements, Tesla can query its fleet to gather certain types of examples of things the camera sees to improve training on the back-end. One example for this was occluded stop signs.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Thanks for the replies.

Go pedal and turn signal are by far my most common interactions with FSD (in that order).

Making no accommodation for people who are drifting into my lane is the most unnerving and common thing that the cameras see but for which I don’t intervene. I haven’t seen this mentioned too much. People in Miami don’t know how to drive and don’t realize that you can’t negotiate with a robot car.

I use FSD and AP all the time, every time I drive.

People in Miami don’t know how to drive and don’t realize that you can’t negotiate with a robot car.
I have a very healthy dislike for bullies, but... The way to negotiate with any kind of self-driving car is to threaten a collision. For example, if someone busts a move ahead of their turn at an intersection or cuts off a self-driving car, the self-driving car will (should!!!) yield to the bully to avoid the collision.

I have a very healthy dislike for bullies, but... The way to negotiate with any kind of self-driving car is to threaten a collision. For example, if someone busts a move ahead of their turn at an intersection or cuts off a self-driving car, the self-driving car will (should!!!) yield to the bully to avoid the collision.
Perhaps I am a bad beta tester, but I have NEVER tested whether the car will yield to avoid a collision. I have ALWAYS found that my ability to foresee being cut off and apply the breaks is faster than the reaction of the car.

Maybe I should start another thread, but my concern is about where within its lane should a self-driving car drive (middle, curb, furthest distance from others)? What should the response be to another car that is carelessly drifting into the Tesla’s lane? Should the Tesla move before the other car enters its lane? How much after? What about if the Tesla is in a middle lane?

I can now explain, for me at least, the two main causes for my “phantom” slow downs. Which have gotten a little better in this latest version, but still extremely annoying.

There is one stretch of road that I take almost every day and night, so this eliminates the possibility that shadows are causing slow downs, however I never thought they did. Sometimes this road is bumper to bumper or I can be the only one around, both day and night. Two lane road, speed limit is 30mph, most of the time everyone including myself go 35mph. These two specific issues happen exactly the same... every time I drive this road to the point that I can predict each slow down the exact moment it will happen.

First thing FOR SURE causing slow downs are road lines disappearing, specifically the center yellow dashed line. These lines are worn out at specific patches for brief stretches and when FSD loses the center line it seems to immediately wants to slow down, but since the line eventually returns it speeds back up. The car will also start to track more to the center of the entire road as long as there is no oncoming traffic. I believe it's doing this because of FSD trying to drive more slowly in residential areas where there tends not to be a center line.

The second FOR SURE thing is the car immediately slowing down right at or just after the front tires drive over a pedestrian cross/walk pattern. It’s not a speed bump, since it doesn’t show up on the visualizations (as a speed bump does and the car slows before it), but it does have a similar look, minus the arrows. This occurs if people are around or not. These tend to be at most intersections with a stop light/sign, and obviously for all crosswalks.

Overall the car has been much better at being more assertive, especially at stops which greatly improves the overall feel. Though it does still slow down a bit too early most times, but at least it starts moving right away.

I hope they don't raise the price of the Subscription... I'd gladly lock in a multi-year price of $200... but that's about the limit for me...

I saw that... I assume "wide release" means out of beta? If this is the case then it should stay $200 for another year or two... lol
No, it means when it is no longer in limited early release and requiring a safety score. Most likely a few months after v11 is released, unless it regresses too much. So probably by July.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: KArnold
Thanks for the replies.

Go pedal and turn signal are by far my most common interactions with FSD (in that order).

Making no accommodation for people who are drifting into my lane is the most unnerving and common thing that the cameras see but for which I don’t intervene. I haven’t seen this mentioned too much. People in Miami don’t know how to drive and don’t realize that you can’t negotiate with a robot car.

I use FSD and AP all the time, every time I drive.
disagree. Just today a semi was coming towards me on a moderately narrow rural road. He was on the line, maybe an inch or two over. FSD moved maybe 2 feet to the right until the truck passed.

I find that 10.8 is way better at merging onto highway
One of the onramps here has 2 lanes merging with a 3-lane highway to continue briefly with 5 lanes before dropping to 4. At least twice 10.8 has switched away from the left onramp lane to the right onramp lane to "avoid merge" only to realize the right-most lane must exit. I'm guessing FSD Beta thinks the left onramp merges instead of creates a new lane.

Other than that, definitely yes the lane change planner seems to be much improved in recent versions leading to multiple occasions of "wow, that's probably better than a human" with the ability to constantly monitor lead vehicle, traffic lights, multiple adjacent vehicle velocities, etc. all at the same time to pick the appropriate gap.

I finally got to try FSD Beta 10.8 on my regular drive to work yesterday, and it seems noticeably better. I don't think it is learning on its own, but is a combination of general incremental improvements and also, that's the most frequent data my car has been feedback back into the system for training every release.

What seems new to me, that I hadn't noticed when using 10.8 out-of-town while I was traveling over the holidays, is that it is making accommodations for vehicles in other lanes that get too close. In fact, it moved so much a couple of times, it crossed either the yellow line to the left, or the dashed white line to the right. Every time I noticed it, I confirmed that there was nothing close in the other lane for it to get "squeezed" by.

I think it is a good sign that they are experimenting with more nuanced behavior. I have come to think that we are still a year or more from even Level 3 on city streets, but there is progress, even if it's in fits and starts.

On a related note, I got to do over 1000 miles on highways with NoA vision-only, and I want to make a bold prediction: Tesla will get approval for Level 3 on limited access highways this year.