Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have we agreed upon a ballpark figure for the amount of FSD Beta OFPs out there? I know pre-holiday update 20k ish was acceptable.

I only ask because because of the amount of data being generated and transmitted back to Tesla by these FSD Beta vehicles now and am trying to wrap my mind around it out of sheer curiosity.

My 30-day data usage on the Model Y alone is 102.28 GB vs 2.76 on the M3 (w/o FSD). Vast Majority of that is upload, in fact, I park part time (meaning several straight days days/weeks) in a garage with no wi-fi and part time in a driveway with. Every OFP update I have gotten since FSD Beta enrollment has been downloaded over LTE.

I have Google Fiber so not concerned about the data usage but that was only recently available for us. Previously we had Spectrum and that had a monthly data cap before we got charged overages.

Has this bitten anyone in the arse with their ISP? There is an astronomical amount of data being sent back to Tesla by the fleet with this beta program!
Very interesting. Seems a real bias against people in rural areas with internet challenges. Maybe Tesla could sue SpaceX for starlink delays? Would that finally kick SpaceX in the nuts enough for us to get a terminal? Hmmm, how about it ? Shareholder proposal? Sue SpaceX over starlink delays holding up FSD revenue recognition?:p

Drove my 4 mile road test today with 10.8.1. Dry roads sunny day little traffic. Acceleration set to normal FSD set to average. Made some, but not all, sharp left and right curves without crossing the center line. Made 90 degree right turns better, from a stop it made a right turn without crossing the center line, when moving it still comes very close to crossing the center line on completion of turn but it does not move sharply left before starting the turn. Smoother driving overall. Some phantom slowing. Better on slowing in advance of turns. So over all some improvement. I do believe that some of my positive feeling comes from being more confident in knowing what the car will and won't do.

Got 10.8.1, didn't expect much difference and had it drive my normal route home which it has done without a problem for many versions however this time instead of taking the last right hand turn as it always does and without any traffic around it just ignored the turn and kept going. I was completely surprised because it hasn't failed once to make this turn since I started with 10.3 and it has done it every single time I return to the house so something has changed for it to miss such an easy final turn in this version. I'll be replicating it later to see if it was a one off or if it can no longer make the turn. There are a number of places in my area where it simply does not make the turn that NAV is showing and keeps going but this is a first time for the one by my house.

Do you often have to use the thumbwheel to either significantly increase or decrease your speed when using the on ramp to merge in with highway traffic
Is the set speed too low or FSD Beta is deciding to go slower than the set speed? If the former, adjusting with the thumbwheel can help but if it's the latter, you'll probably need to override by pressing the accelerator. I've noticed when turning right to an onramp here, it changes the set speed from the original street to the highway speed about halfway through the turn, but it doesn't start accelerating to highway speeds until it's done with the curve.

Today on this onramp with 2 lanes, FSD Beta 10.8.1 highlighted a vehicle 2 ahead in the left lane as blue indicating it wanted to switch ahead of the 2 other vehicles, and turns out it was the right decision as the adjacent vehicles were only going ~40mph. Other days it would normally highlight the most immediate adjacent vehicle as blue to switch behind. So the planner is definitely taking advantage of the neural network's ability to predict velocities with just a glance for superhuman planning.

One caveat about the thumbwheel is that there seems to be a "max deceleration" in that it will only gradually slow down to a lower set speed.

Also had a 1 disengagement drive over 57 miles on 10.8.1. Equal highway and city distance with moderate traffic. The ride home was 4 disengagements. The weird thing is, most of my disengagements now are from the car not getting into the turning lane fast enough. Always a left turn, and usually a left turn with 2 lanes. It moves over with plenty of time, and then just doesn't make the last move into either available lane. With most single left turns, the car whips immediately into it. Almost fast enough for a change of pants...
I've seen that too, left turns that have their own lanes seem to be a no-go for the current release.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Have people noticed less upload from vehicles recently? Yesterday I noticed the car uploading more when getting something from the car, so it seems like the car is prioritizing sleep to save energy maybe because it's colder outside and this vehicle isn't usually plugged in. Looking at WiFi traffic for the vehicle, it seems to have uploaded for about 20 minutes yesterday afternoon before stopping. Then when waking the car later without driving, it only uploaded for about 5 minutes. So to test, I turned on sentry mode overnight to keep the car awake, and it ended up transmitting 17GB.

I don't know what changed over night, but as of this morning 10.8.1 is pretty much unusable for me.

This morning on the way to work, I saw a forward collision warning (set to early) and then shortly thereafter I kept seeing an "automatic emergency braking is disabled" message. I went in to autopilot settings, toggled AEB off and on and it seemed to go away. After that, three separate times I saw the "big red hands - take over immediately" symbol without any sort of indication as to why or what went wrong - it looks like there may be some crashing going on in the 10.8.1 FSD software... They weren't strikes counted against me thankfully. I get to work, park and while sitting still the AEB is disabled message popped up again. Went out to pick up lunch, same scenario - every time I engage FSD I get the 'red hands - take over immediately' warning (no further mention of AEB being disabled though). I tried the dual scroll wheel reboot and the problem persists. I don't know else to try at this point.

I wonder if there is any logic for determining who is in what batch. I was in the first 100 score batch with 10.2, and then after a couple updates fell to second batch. And now looks like I’m in the last batch still waiting for 10.8.1.

Maybe they are using safety score in the background to rank people. 😅

Nothing for me either. Early on, I wondered if the people getting 10.8.1 were those who had strikes (I have none).

Have not driven much lately. What happens with a nasty snowstorm and power out four days. Then windows froze so couldn't close the door.

No pressing need so left it to thaw and will drive another day. Hopefully tomorrow.

I wonder if there is any logic for determining who is in what batch. I was in the first 100 score batch with 10.2, and then after a couple updates fell to second batch. And now looks like I’m in the last batch still waiting for 10.8.1.

Maybe they are using safety score in the background to rank people. 😅
I have stayed in the 2nd batch since getting fsd. I had a 100 safety score and didn't get it the first night. Always seem to get it after the first people start report getting the updates. Usually the next night 🌙. Got 10.8.1 this past Sunday in the middle of the night. I have never had a strike, I live in Florida and drive a lot. My wife of 15 years has been in the Plaid for less than 5 minutes since I took delivery in September. I hit the go pedal one time, she said let me out and hasn't been within 20 ft of my car since. The kids love it and so do their friends, which pisses her off even more! 😂

Last edited:
I don't know what changed over night, but as of this morning 10.8.1 is pretty much unusable for me.

This morning on the way to work, I saw a forward collision warning (set to early) and then shortly thereafter I kept seeing an "automatic emergency braking is disabled" message. I went in to autopilot settings, toggled AEB off and on and it seemed to go away. After that, three separate times I saw the "big red hands - take over immediately" symbol without any sort of indication as to why or what went wrong - it looks like there may be some crashing going on in the 10.8.1 FSD software... They weren't strikes counted against me thankfully. I get to work, park and while sitting still the AEB is disabled message popped up again. Went out to pick up lunch, same scenario - every time I engage FSD I get the 'red hands - take over immediately' warning (no further mention of AEB being disabled though). I tried the dual scroll wheel reboot and the problem persists. I don't know else to try at this point.
Could be an issue with how it installed. Try redeploying the firmware. If you aren’t familiar with how to do that you can check out this thread: V11 (2021.44.25.2) Broke Navigate on Autopilot
Redeploying the firmware fixed an issue we had with a bad install.

Could be an issue with how it installed. Try redeploying the firmware. If you aren’t familiar with how to do that you can check out this thread: V11 (2021.44.25.2) Broke Navigate on Autopilot
I have no idea if any of these options work, but either a two button/brake reboot, a camera recalibration or a firmware reinstall are all suggested as a last resort solution to a misbehaving FSD beta install.

All I can say only that a camera recalibration did actually improve matters for me on FSD beta 10.2.

Strangely enough, on the drive home from work, FSD was completely fine. I also ran out to pick up dinner, also fine. If it misbehaves tomorrow I'll go to the nuclear route and redeploy.

• Funny
Reactions: FSDtester#1