Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you shut the drunk auto driver off, but leave the improved visualizations on, if you want? Based on the reviews, I think I will definitely pass on the pre-aloha FSD functionality (after trying it once, like I did Smart Summon when it was released), but I would enjoy the improved visualizations. Can someone with this software let us all know? Thanks!

I had a phantom brake this morning on my way to work. Had that exactly zero times over the last 3 years on my normal work commute. So, I'm not sure I buy into the idea that eliminating radar will decrease phantom braking. So far its made it much worse for me.
Me too. Phantom braking was much more prevalent today than before (when it was using radar). I assume they'll fix that...

The safety score is so lollers but w/e, I'm not overly changing how I drive and it apparently hates me. Constant hard braking (even though I rarely touch the brake pedal and regen the whole time, and it's ever abrupt" aggressive turning violations all the time (yes turning a corner going left is so aggressive). But let's not measure things like crazy acceleration (because Tesla's are supposed to be fast!) or do you use your turn signal to change lanes, or how often are you going over the speed limit, or do you cali stop that stop sign.

I catch myself in the middle of a turn now saying to myself "aggressive turning!" to myself, or every time I come to a stop saying "aggressive breaking!". I had a friend with me the whole time driving yesterday, never once did he think I was going insane, score: 77. Just lol. He was even laughing at my aggressive proclamations.

What horseshite if they decided to exclude yoke cars, such as the Plaid, and never told us - after having to drive the Plaid like. Yugoslav for the the past two plus weeks. Disappointing. 200 score and nothing as of 7:10am PDT.
wow you should have actually gotten a personal phone call invitation with that score. ;)

I haven’t driven the beta yet this morning. Still early morning here in AZ. But noted some of the concerns about the aggressiveness and erratic maneuvers. I believe you can toggle off/on the beta in autopilot settings and I probably will do that at times, especially if my wife is in the car with me.

Musk warned that the beta may work better in certain locations. I would assume many of the original beta drivers are in the Bay Area and very few where I live in metro Phoenix, so I expect I will need to be especially careful.

Nothing here. Yokes were definitely excluded if all 3 of us didn’t get it, including @MarcG

EDIT: Looking at Teslafi, not a single yoke car got the update.
I was thinking this might be the case from the beginning, but was hoping it wouldn’t be true. What’s horshite is Tesla not believing in it’s own push of the yoke and not telling any of us; allowing us to waste more than two weeks of time that we will never get back. Quite disappointing.

Last edited:
Reactions: FSDtester#1
I was thinking this might be the case from the beginning, but was hoping it wouldn’t be true. What’s horshite is Tesla not believing in it’s on push of the yoke and not telling any of us; allowing us to waste more than two weeks of time that we will never get back. Quite disappointing.
Yup, drove like a grandma in LA for nothing. Wish I would’ve known this beforehand. I also kind of expected ot in the back of my mind, but judging by Elon’s tweets he made it sound like “everyone” would get it.

The safety score is so lollers but w/e, I'm not overly changing how I drive and it apparently hates me. Constant hard braking (even though I rarely touch the brake pedal and regen the whole time, and it's ever abrupt" aggressive turning violations all the time (yes turning a corner going left is so aggressive). But let's not measure things like crazy acceleration (because Tesla's are supposed to be fast!) or do you use your turn signal to change lanes, or how often are you going over the speed limit, or do you cali stop that stop sign.

I catch myself in the middle of a turn now saying to myself "aggressive turning!" to myself, or every time I come to a stop saying "aggressive breaking!". I had a friend with me the whole time driving yesterday, never once did he think I was going insane, score: 77. Just lol. He was even laughing at my aggressive proclamations.
I only got one brake ding and as afar as I know it was the one time I used the actual brake pedal. I crested a small hill and came up on several stopped cars. Of course I don't know for sure, but I think it is the one time I used the brake pedal and it is the only brake ding I got.

I turn left off the main road all the time without a ding but I do go pretty slow as I'm turning on to a gravel road and there is broken chunks and lip/drop offs where the paving for the main road stops.

Yup, drove like a grandma in LA for nothing. Wish I would’ve known this beforehand. I also kind of expected ot in the back of my mind, but judging by Elon’s tweets he made it sound like “everyone” would get it.
Everyone but those with his forced on you yoke cars that he himself doesn’t seem to trust in the “hands” of beta FSD.

Last edited:
So I tried FSD Beta out this morning, from the period before dawn into sunrise, so I experienced what it was like in darkness and with some sunlight. I drove in my local area to nearby grocery stores and McDonald's. Here's my observations:
  • Darkness and early morning sunlight did not make a significant difference in my drive.
  • It handles neighborhood local driving very well. Turns a bit more quickly than I'm used to, but it was safe and mostly smooth. I think FSD excels at slower speeds.
  • It handled a traffic circle like a champ, too. That impressed me, I was scared that might pose an issue.
  • Once it gets on faster roads, its turning speed is really aggressive for me, and I had to intervene a few times because I got nervous. Once, when making a protected left, I took control when it looked like it was about to turn into a car waiting at the stoplight. I think it would have made it, but it was way closer than I normally am comfortable with.
  • Lane changes are much smoother than with normal Autopilot. I really like this, I think this will make NoAP on the highway way less nerve wracking for me.
  • So is going through traffic lights. I had already gotten used to having to tap the accelerator or stalk to go on green, but now it's not necessary and it works great.
  • It can't handle complicated parking lots almost at all. This is where I had to intervene a lot, because even on driving lanes it was so "jittery" with pedestrians coming and going and cars stopping and starting. I'm definitely going to be manual on parking lots for the time being. (It also confirms an observation I made long ago, that parking lots may be the most dangerous parts of the road, more than highways and local streets.)
Some tips that may help:
  • If you have speed limit offset, turn it back to +0. Raise it only when traffic is a lot faster. This helps with the aggressive turns.
  • Don't get distracted too much by the new visualizations--they're really cool but in this beta you really want to keep your eyes on the road. This is where the eye tracker camera should be robust.
  • Those of us who got it now had 100 safety scores, and are probably careful drivers by nature. FSD is going to seem a lot more "careless" than you might be used to. Don't be too afraid to intervene but it's important to trust the system just a little bit. It does work in the main.
Overall, I am very impressed. There are obvious limitations, but I'm confident they will be overcome in due time, and I'm going to try a longer/commute-length driver on the highway later this week. Will report when that happens.

This was something I laughed about, wondering how many drivers would have been flagged for not using their turn signals rather than the smoothness score that was actually implemented.

Can you shut the drunk auto driver off, but leave the improved visualizations on, if you want? Based on the reviews, I think I will definitely pass on the pre-aloha FSD functionality (after trying it once, like I did Smart Summon when it was released), but I would enjoy the improved visualizations. Can someone with this software let us all know? Thanks!
Yes… just drive without autopilot turned on.

• Helpful
Reactions: jebinc
This thing is SCARY… I honestly don’t see what everyone else was so mind blown about. I understand the *experiences may vary* warning. But it almost ran me off the road into a field multiple times. It goes blazing fast through intersection curves causing me to have to forcibly disengage for safety reasons. Got in the wrong lanes plenty of times. This will get someone hurt. I HOPE nobody does but its not ready for wider distribution honestly. I want tesla to win , I’m not downing them at all. But in the wrong hands this will be bad
Keep in mind that my opinion is based on a one hour drive with FSD Beta, but I whole heartedly agree. This IS going to hurt someone. When it's good, it's good, but when it's bad, it is O M G BAD. In some areas, it drives waaaay too confidently, and in others it's meek as a sheep. And it can go from being good to very, very bad in the blink of an eye.

IMO, this wasn't/isn't ready for wide beta release. Not even close, really.
I am pretty confident that someone in this topic will ge into an fsd accident before the day is done.
If not someone active in this topic, it'll definitely be some newly added beta tester. I must say that I'm quite disappointed in it, really. Keep in mind that I'm out in the sticks with edge case driving being the norm where I'm at, but even on well marked, lit, painted, etc. streets it did some really odd (and very unsafe) things, in addition to some real head scratchers where you're just left thinking "what the hell is it doing?" But yes, someone is going to at least do some property damage before the day is out with this thing.
I have the update waiting and need to understand a few more things before I press install. I understand I can turn on/off FSD, but can I get back to using autopilot as I always have? I use NOA but do not let it make auto lane changes. I’m 2000 miles from home and don’t want to drive back without autopilot that I’m used to.
Yes. You can turn off FSD Beta and go back to the public standard release AP at any time.
So, similar experience to the Parlor trick, Smart Summon, when it came out? Try it for a day or two and then never use it again ‘cause it’s just that, a parlor trick?
That kinda depends. To say that I'm not impressed is a huge understatement, but I'm going to stick with it just to hopefully accelerate this thing's learning curve. So I'm going to be beating on FSD Beta all day every day until it either submits in a puff of blue smoke from the motherboard or until it learns to drive competently. The jury is still way out on which way it's gonna go, honestly.
The enhanced visualizations are dependent on the FSD Beta city street stack driving them. The enhanced visualizations are showing you what the FSD Beta city street stack makes of its surroundings, and shows you the planned travel vector on the screen. You can't have the enhanced visuals without that stack currently running.

That's a long way of getting to a short answer: No, you can't have enhanced visuals without running the FSD Beta. I guess you could just not engage the AP and use the visuals, but there isn't a way to use the old school AP stack and run it on autopilot and have the new visuals at the same time.

So now that the replies to all the quotes are done, my one hour drive experience in a nutshell...

For the most part, I agree with the guys that have posted so far. It is way too confident when it shouldn't be, and way underconfident when it needs to be more confident.

And in certain situations, it is very hard to keep your hand on the wheel to keep the thing tamed, as it can spin that wheel at some pretty serious RPM's.

As much as a Tesla Fanboi as I am, I have to say... Elon seriously messed up by expanding the beta this widely.

It's just not ready yet.

Everyone but those with his forced on younyoke cars that he himself doesn’t seem to trust in the “hands” of beta FSD.
If you hate your car so much why don't you sell it? It's in the money, sell it for what you paid for it. Otherwise you don't hate it. Or...or..

You don't actually own any Teslas and are just trolling.

How do you tell? I see 8 MS on the release
1633964064022.png