Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What was your overall averaged score on Friday and with how many miles (less than 100 score or less than 100 miles in total)?

I was at 99 on Friday but just barely got to an overall 100 on Sunday afternoon with over 1200 miles. So far, I have no FSD Beta email but haven’t checked inside the car yet for any download notice.

I’m unsure if anyone has shown definitively yet that the safety score cutoff was Friday night (or some other night prior to the weekend). Has anyone who improved to a score of 100 over the weekend actually gotten the download or email yet?
I have not gotten it yet. I was at 99 on Friday, and got to 100 overall on Friday at 9:15pm Pacific time. So perhaps the cutoff was before that. :(

• Informative
Reactions: Jeff N

10.2 just blowing through a red light....and not one that was yellow turning red. It was red when it approached but still decided to make the left turn.
I don't understand why this isn't cause for automatic revocation of beta privileges. Does Tesla really want people running red lights?
Especially people dumb enough to post videos on the internet of them running red lights.

Jumping to conclusions based on logic and common sense, from multiple different sources (Twitter, TeslaFi, discord severs, this forum, another forum and now Reddit).

It’s not guaranteed that yokes are excluded from the beta but if you have the average IQ, it’s pretty damn obvious that this is the case. I might be completely wrong but I doubt it.
@Venom Yep, they must really have high confidence in their beta FSD release and yokes (together)....

So sorry, I should have said EVER in the car you are currently driving. The car you are currently driving will never be 4 or 5, because by the time long term comes around, you car will be obsolete. Good catch!
I don't know - my plan is to handoff my car to my kids in 10 years - I expect L3/L4 to be very much the norm by then. The car will probably need some upgrades (new computer and cameras ?) - but I expect it to work well.

Lets bookmark and revisit this post in 2030 :D

Can you shut the drunk auto driver off, but leave the improved visualizations on, if you want? Based on the reviews, I think I will definitely pass on the pre-aloha FSD functionality (after trying it once, like I did Smart Summon when it was released), but I would enjoy the improved visualizations. Can someone with this software let us all know? Thanks!
You just don’t press the stalk down?

While I do agree with the vast majority of your post, I don't agree with the timeline. Decades? Probably not. Decade? Probably.

They have yet to realize how much they have bit off, or how long it'll take to chew it up and swallow.

Elon thinks he has had his epiphany moment of how hard this is going to be to pull off. What he doesn't yet realize, is he has not had that epiphany yet.
I certainly hope so. Perhaps naive, but I bought FSD in the hopes that it did work well enough to allow me to stay in my house. That is when I'm at the drooling stage I can get to the grocery store and back. If it's decades I'll be dust for sure.

Reactions: edseloh and Phlier
I don't understand why this isn't cause for automatic revocation of beta privileges. Does Tesla really want people running red lights?
Especially people dumb enough to post videos on the internet of them running red lights.
While yeah, he 100% should have put the brakes on and stopped the car, I'm always curious what the car would actually do if you let it go. I'm not willing to ever do that, but like cases where it looks like it will crash into construction zone stuff, would it brake at the last second or just ram it?

Just took my maiden FSD voyage with a lunchtime trip to Home Depot in the Chicago suburbs. On the outbound trip, did a rolling start on the expressway (e.g. started with AP and let it hand off to FSD at the exit) and then on the inbound trip started in the Home Depot parking lot. Initial impressions:
  • Lane changes in both AP and FSD seem much more confident than before. Instead of the 3 blinker flashes before lane change, it will sometimes go immediately. For me, this makes it much more usuable because in traffic 3 blinks can mean the difference between an opening for lane change to no opening
  • Otherwise no real changes to AP on expressway, and remains usable enough to relaxing
  • FSD on local roads is fun if not unrefined. It feels like a step above the local street AP that was available prior but is definitely something that has room for growth over time
  • On the plus side compared to local street AP, FSD does not require a lead car to go through green lights and behaves very similarly to local street AP. On straight line travel, it's not bad and is very doable.
  • There is room for improvement turning on intersections. First is that it takes the turns very slowly, so much that I've gotten horns from impatient folks behind me on protected left turn lanes as it went slow enough to get the light to turn yellow. This seems very attainable as the system gets more data and takes turns more comfortably (like the AP lane changes did)
  • Also it tends to not make turns as I would, seeming to under or oversteer, getting close to the curb or next lane. I usually end up taking control so I couldn't say if it hits the curb
  • It is also difficult to maintain the right amount of torque on the wheel as it turns. As cited upthread, the wheel turns pretty quickly and can disengage itself if you're gripping the wheel to tightly. This will take some practice to feather the grip
  • Because of these points, on this maiden voyage I had a success rate of 0% on turns. I'll keep practicing though!
  • One thing that my route was unable to test were flashing intersection signs that FSD treated as a yellow light previously. I'll test this on another route I always take over the next few days.
  • All said, my opinion is that if you were used to local street AP it seems like a good incremental improvement. Currently it seems to be at the level for single drivers to train themselves how to use FSD on well-known routes, but maybe isn't best to use on unknown routes or with passengers. If I were to compare them, expressway AP is like riding an Uber in that it's trustworthy enough to get me from point to point but might make some decisions that I wouldn't. FSD is more like riding with someone on their learners permit, where I needed to be ready to take over.
Interesting stuff and I'm excited to see how this develops. It wasn't so long ago where AP was less refined and it's since become very usuable. FSD should grow similarly.

Can you shut the drunk auto driver off, but leave the improved visualizations on, if you want? Based on the reviews, I think I will definitely pass on the pre-aloha FSD functionality (after trying it once, like I did Smart Summon when it was released), but I would enjoy the improved visualizations. Can someone with this software let us all know? Thanks!
In the profile you can set Improved visualization and FSD Beta options separately. So, yes.

I might get it, if they roll out the software to people with 92 driver scores before there's a high profile accident. It's clearly following the path of Smart Summon, stoplight control, etc. You use it a few times and realize that it's too stressful and limited in functionality to be usable on a daily basis.
I have been using wide release autopilot for probably 90% of my city driving on both Teslas for at least a couple years. Of course it didn’t do turns and the stoplight control “feature” added a year ago was quickly turned off. But now that turns and stoplights work, I expect that 90% usage will be raised to 95% or more. But anyone who is too stressed by FSD beta probably doesn’t like the wide release autopilot -- and my wife is one of those people.

Reactions: edseloh and Yuri_G
And its so easy to figure out its not working properly. The car should slow down when approaching a red light - and if it doesn't, intervene.

I think some of these youtubers push to the edge to see what happens for shock value.

Reactions: edseloh and Iain