Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good news : 36.5.3 got installed.
Bad news : Its going to be a rollercoaster.

Good news : TSLA breaks $1 Trillion market cap.
Bad news : Its still going to be a rollercoaster.
And I have my butt firmly in *both seats, along for the long term ride. :)

*No, my butt isn't big enough to take up two seats! Probably.

I'm sure having one of those coulda/woulda/shoulda moments, though, wishing I could go back to that fateful day in August of 2019 and doubled the amount I put into Tesla shares. The part that sucks is that I could've done exactly that, but was already pushing my comfort level with the amount I did put into Tesla.

Ah well, it's still a life changing amount of money, so I really should just be happy that I did what I did... my wife sure is. And really, that's what's important.

I was also thinking about doing a very small options play over earnings. I hate options, so I never "invest" (I hate to use the term "invest" when talking about options, as it's more like gambling) more than I can comfortably lose, but wow... Looking at how it would have played out.

Coulda shoulda woulda.

I think I need to go drive my car for a while. :)

Always be happy to be able to put a check mark in the "Win" column when investing, and don't beat yourself up for not squeezing every last dollar out of every last investment; put a check mark in the Win column, be happy with what you got, and move on.

How are you guys liking the new release so far? Any noticeable improvements? Regressions?

Biggest improvement I see in 10.3 compared to 10.2 is that the car is slowing a bit immediately upon detecting brake lights or turn signal on the lead car. This is a welcome development, especially now that without radar, the car can't see ahead of the lead car to anticipate speed changes.
What about follow distance? 10.3 follows way too close for my tastes. I don't even drive that way. In the rain today car was like 2 lengths on 7.

Also, is this normal, you can't control the speed of the car while in FSD mode navigating? I couldn't slow the car down, it just wanted to go the speed limit no matter how slow I put the speed??? Will update to 10.3.1 before leaving work and see how it goes.

Also, anybody have roundabouts to deal with? I have a bunch in my neighborhood, FSD is all over the place. Sometimes it stops at the crosswalk before the entry, puts a turn signal on right, then slowly crawls and starts going through, sometimes it just rolls right through. Sometimes it puts a left turn signal on while going straight through it, or just disengages altogether and nearly rams the median...its a mess.

Reactions: impastu
Biggest improvement I see in 10.3 compared to 10.2 is that the car is slowing a bit immediately upon detecting brake lights or turn signal on the lead car. This is a welcome development, especially now that without radar, the car can't see ahead of the lead car to anticipate speed changes.
One thing I noticed is that it doesn’t handle cars with lightbar-style taillights well. Eg the Polestar 2 I was following yesterday was rendered as having its brake lights on the whole time

What about follow distance? 10.3 follows way too close for my tastes. I don't even drive that way. In the rain today car was like 2 lengths on 7.

Check the profile setting in the Autopilot menu. I forget the language they use, but there are three settings with the highest being "aggressive", I think. See what happens if you reduce that setting one level. (I'd look up the menu to give you the exact language, but my car is busy installing the new 10.3.1 update...)

Last edited:

Also, is this normal, you can't control the speed of the car while in FSD mode navigating? I couldn't slow the car down, it just wanted to go the speed limit no matter how slow I put the speed??? Will update to 10.3.1 before leaving work and see how it goes.

Also, anybody have roundabouts to deal with? I have a bunch in my neighborhood, FSD is all over the place. Sometimes it stops at the crosswalk before the entry, puts a turn signal on right, then slowly crawls and starts going through, sometimes it just rolls right through. Sometimes it puts a left turn signal on while going straight through it, or just disengages altogether and nearly rams the median...its a mess.

I have my follow distance set to 2. that's just the way people expect you to drive around here. So far it has not made me nervous on city/local streets.

I am heavily using the right scroll wheel to adjust my set speed for the situation while in FSD mode. By default though, I have my offset set to +5mph speed limit. I then increase from there to match expectations from fellow drivers. I'll slow it down if I see a tricky situation coming up.

Reactions: zigmeister and JWM3
And I have my butt firmly in *both seats, along for the long term ride. :)

*No, my butt isn't big enough to take up two seats! Probably.

I'm sure having one of those coulda/woulda/shoulda moments, though, wishing I could go back to that fateful day in August of 2019 and doubled the amount I put into Tesla shares. The part that sucks is that I could've done exactly that, but was already pushing my comfort level with the amount I did put into Tesla.

Ah well, it's still a life changing amount of money, so I really should just be happy that I did what I did... my wife sure is. And really, that's what's important.

I was also thinking about doing a very small options play over earnings. I hate options, so I never "invest" (I hate to use the term "invest" when talking about options, as it's more like gambling) more than I can comfortably lose, but wow... Looking at how it would have played out.

Coulda shoulda woulda.

I think I need to go drive my car for a while. :)

Always be happy to be able to put a check mark in the "Win" column when investing, and don't beat yourself up for not squeezing every last dollar out of every last investment; put a check mark in the Win column, be happy with what you got, and move on.

How are you guys liking the new release so far? Any noticeable improvements? Regressions?
I had two hundred shares At 450 before the split. Sold some and bought some and sold some. I've made a ton and still have 100 free shares. Kicking myself for hesitating an not buying 800 two weeks ago

You have two things going on here that make me think something isn't right with your car.

With a setting of 7, you should have plenty of room between you and the preceding car. And you should also be able to set FSD to any speed (less than 80) and have it do it (unless it needs to slow for a curve or other reasons).

The fact that your car is tailgating and not correctly following the speed you have set is concerning.

Does your car acknowledge any changes to follow distance, or does it always maintain a certain distance regardless of where you set the number? IOW, does it just ignore your follow distance input altogether?

Having the car ignore those two inputs isn't good.

If 10.3.1 doesn't fix these problems, you need to take it to an SC and have it looked at, 'cause something ain't right.

• Helpful
Reactions: FSDtester#1
I just took a short trip with 10.3.1. I was hoping it would be improved over 10.2, but immediately saw a regresdion in the way it makes unprotected left turns. The car turns too sharply to the left, almost crossing the center line towards uncoming traffic on the road I am turnimg onto. The car would probably straighten, but I felt uncomfortable taking a chance; so I disengage by steering back to the right of the center line. I hadn't experienced this with 10.2, but maybe I was just lucky. Others, had reported this, before. In any case, it is a problem waiting to be fixed.

You have two things going on here that make me think something isn't right with your car.

With a setting of 7, you should have plenty of room between you and the preceding car. And you should also be able to set FSD to any speed (less than 80) and have it do it (unless it needs to slow for a curve or other reasons).

The fact that your car is tailgating and not correctly following the speed you have set is concerning.

Does your car acknowledge any changes to follow distance, or does it always maintain a certain distance regardless of where you set the number? IOW, does it just ignore your follow distance input altogether?

If 10.3.1 doesn't fix these problems, you need to take it to an SC and have it looked at, 'cause something ain't right.
I noticed the same thing this weekend, that FSD was not responding to follow distance changes, follows closer than I would, but I can control the speed with the left dial. I typically have it set to 7.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
10.2 was very slow to react to me decreasing the speed manually, maybe that’s what you are seeing. Haven't tried the same action in 10.3/10.3.1 yet as I set my speed offset to +0

Loaded Plaid with this earlier this morning.
F00FA033-9F87-4496-86F4-5137AFCC5B30.jpeg

I do have to agree with this. I've never been a fan that the car keeps accelerating on its own after having to take over. Your mind tells you, you've taken control, yet you don't have full control. I do wish that any type of override would disengage all control from the car until I give that control back to the car.
I sent some feedback to the beta team via email .. if anyone else feels the same way you might want to chime in too (the more people who say, the more likely Tesla are to change this). Basically my ask was "manual steering input should revert the car entirely to manual control".

To resolve an issue with my telescoping steering wheel that magically happened to occur right after Beta the other day...Service repushed the 5.2 update to my car again after I drove this morning. So maybe that fixed it.

I'm going to install the 36.5.3 right now since people say it's Beta and see if these issues are resolved. My update turned into a dumpster fire for how the car is acting and the steering wheel telescope stopped working. Jammed all the way forward...more dangerous than Beta itself the way I'm sitting to drive now..haha

Reactions: Phlier