Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This histogram from Stats iOS app was shared just before FSD Beta 10.2 rollout:
View attachment 725791

Directly applying those percentages to 150k would suggest FSD Beta grew by 18k participants with 10.2 and 26k with 10.3. The relative sizes of 99 vs 100 is 1.4x, and that does roughly match up with Teslascope+TeslaFi numbers (636 on 10.2 and 1648 on 10.3.x -- 1.6x increase).

If the FSD Beta population is indeed around 44k, then since October 11th, on average there's been 3k participants added each day. Of course we can scale back the number for more "above average" scores, so discounting by a factor of 3 for ~14k participants would be an average 1k/day.

Just curious, has anyone from Oregon received FSD Beta?

Reactions: impastu
Have to also say, would be nice if, when it arrived at the destination, it pulled over to the right and basically parked itself on the side of the road, rather than just stopping in the middle of the street. Especially on residential streets with no markings. I actually stopped more to the left side of the street than to the right side.

Just curious, has anyone from Oregon received FSD Beta?
Yes. Looking at TeslaFi "Region" data from 924 currently on FSD Beta 10.3.1:
Code:
Alabama: 9
Alaska: 2
Arizona: 22
Arkansas: 3
California: 150
Colorado: 25
Connecticut: 8
Delaware: 8
District of Columbia: 1
Florida: 76
Georgia: 14
Hawaii: 1
Idaho: 5
Illinois: 32
Indiana: 21
Iowa: 5
Kansas: 8
Kentucky: 11
Louisiana: 1
Maine: 4
Maryland: 26
Massachusetts: 34
Michigan: 23
Minnesota: 27
Mississippi: 4
Missouri: 20
Montana: 0
Nebraska: 6
Nevada: 8
New Hampshire: 8
New Jersey: 30
New Mexico: 2
New York: 36
North Carolina: 23
North Dakota: 0
Ohio: 32
Oklahoma: 3
Oregon: 15
Pennsylvania: 26
Rhode Island: 5
South Carolina: 10
South Dakota: 2
Tennessee: 10
Texas: 61
Utah: 13
Vermont: 2
Virginia: 29
Washington: 39
West Virginia: 3
Wisconsin: 19
Wyoming: 2

Have to also say, would be nice if, when it arrived at the destination, it pulled over to the right and basically parked itself on the side of the road, rather than just stopping in the middle of the street. Especially on residential streets with no markings. I actually stopped more to the left side of the street than to the right side.
Yeah I'm really curious what they plan to do for the final bit of driving at the end of a trip, they really need that for full end-to-end self-driving. Like once the car pulls off the road, potentially navigating unmapped parking lots to the precise GPS coordinates like smart summon, finding a suitable dropoff point and pulling over OR entering a mode where it prowls for valid, legal parking spaces and parks. That's like a whole different set of problems, very separate from driving on roadways.

Reactions: spokey and impastu
Are you using yesterday's firmware release or the one released this morning?

The problem you're having was common with yesterday's release.

Edit: @rxlawdude types faster than me, apparently. ;)
Absolutely. 10.3.1. It seems when I get onto the highway FSB beta visualizations vanish. And it is all of the sudden navigating on AP?!?!

It’s crazy and did it again this morning after 14 miles of no disengagements (I was impressed) except for some nudging of the accelerator.

Yesterday after about 10 min it magically came back as I left the highway???

EDIT: I have video of it doing this. As the person below stated, they think this is normal...but OK....whatever. I guess if this is what dual stack means and why it switches...never knew.

If that is normal when going on/off a highway then, OK. Glad to know. Guess that is what v11 is going to be right? Single stack.

Last edited:
Absolutely. 10.3.1. It seems when I get onto the highway FSB beta visualizations vanish. And it is all of the sudden navigating on AP?!?!

It’s crazy and did it again this morning after 14 miles of no disengagements (I was impressed) except for some nudging of the accelerator.

Yesterday after about 10 min it magically came back as I left the highway??? Something is messed up.

Have to record this happening you would be like what!?!?
I'm new to this but I believe that's normal....something about that 2 stack terminology. FSB visualizations are for "street " driving only I believe

Yesterday after about 10 min it magically came back as I left the highway???

EDIT: I have video of it doing this. As the person below stated, they think this is normal...but OK....whatever. I guess if this is what dual stack means and why it switches...never knew.

If that is normal when going on/off a highway then, OK. Glad to know. Guess that is what v11 is going to be right? Single stack.

This is expected behavior. Can't blame you for not knowing though since Tesla didn't mention it in the intro email. They're still using the AP/NOA code on the highways. Their goal is to use the FSD beta codebase soon. Current intent is v11 when it all becomes a single code stack.

I'm new to this but I believe that's normal....something about that 2 stack terminology. FSB visualizations are for "street " driving only I believe
Thanks, if that is what it means by double stack and single, and it switches between the two, good to know. But this is all part of the annoyance of Tesla. Simply telling people it will do this in that same email about "warning! warning BETA!" would be good info to know!!!

Haha...I thought I was losing my mind and took video of it. But I don't necessarily recall seeing anybody capture this in a recording before. Anyway...

Pretty impressed with today's drive, besides maybe 3 nudges on the accelerator and a few other weird turn signalling issues for no apparent reason it did/does in turn lanes...it was really good.

I'll make the claim that FSD beta with the alert drivers we have here are much safer than the masses of illegal drivers we have.
You might be right, you might be wrong. Here in Indiana, we have masses of illegal aliens driving. They purchase insurance for a couple of days and then cancel it and get the money back. So they drive without insurance and they drive VERY, VERY carefully! You can always spot them because they are always driving 5-10 mph under the speed limit, hoping they don't get pulled over by the police. Their registration for the car is either in one of their friends name that is legal, or one that is dead. Hard to believe that same thing is not going on in CA?

I had two hundred shares At 450 before the split. Sold some and bought some and sold some. I've made a ton and still have 100 free shares. Kicking myself for hesitating an not buying 800 two weeks ago
Anytime there is a major movement upward, in-house butt-kicking is initiated. I bought 1,000 shares when TSLA IPO'd. I had the wherewithal to purchase twice that amount, but I was too chicken to pull the trigger. You can't dwell on it.

Yeah I'm really curious what they plan to do for the final bit of driving at the end of a trip, they really need that for full end-to-end self-driving. Like once the car pulls off the road, potentially navigating unmapped parking lots to the precise GPS coordinates like smart summon, finding a suitable dropoff point and pulling over OR entering a mode where it prowls for valid, legal parking spaces and parks. That's like a whole different set of problems, very separate from driving on roadways.
I think that is a good idea if it doesn't know where to go but I think you also be able to designate a spot. Like instead of stopping on my street, let me push a button in my driveway to save a location. Or at the grocery store let me get in to the parking lot and then take an available space.

Try changing the aggression setting to "Chill". Mine was automatically set to "Assertive".
I've been on chill and I still feel like it follows too closely, almost tailgating. But I have no experience with anything other than 10.3 so not sure if this is how FSD Beta always drove even on previous firmwares. Looking at youtube videos online, it doesn't look like it does that.

We all Kinda laugh at the wacky signal lights but did have a situation where it was a problem. Pulled up to a 4 way traffic light to go straight. However it was angled a little to the left so FSD put on the left signal. A car straight across was Turning left and they would THINK I was too. So when the light turns green they would likely turn in front of me. I disengaged so as not to hinder and look like an idiot.

FSD needs to "learn" how people look or position. Was coming up to a crosswalk and slightly obscured by a tree was a person with their back facing street cranking a Vespa. FSD thought they were going into the cross walk and slammed the brakes on. The person even noticed this and looked over their shoulder at me with a what the hell look.

Reactions: Phlier and impastu
I've been on chill and I still feel like it follows too closely, almost tailgating. But I have no experience with anything other than 10.3 so not sure if this is how FSD Beta always drove even on previous firmwares. Looking at youtube videos online, it doesn't look like it does that.
You still need to adjust your Following Distance. I believe that Chill is just relative to Follow Distance.

Is that middle lane called a “suicide” lane?
When I attended a traffic school some 35 years ago in California to wash away a speeding ticket, it was taught by a police officer who told our class that that lane was called that because there were no traffic regulations that governed traffic within that lane—no rule on who had to yield the right of way.

• Informative
Reactions: DanCar and impastu
You still need to adjust your Following Distance. I believe that Chill is just relative to Follow Distance.

Same issue I have since 10.3 and continues on 10.3.1 as I posted this several days ago as well. The car, on chill, whatever, and 7 on FSD Streets follows way too close for my comfort as well. Others say they aren't having this issue. I mean, it is literally less than 1 second on 7 at 55mph, I'm manually slowing the car down, which is another issue as well. Above 50-55mph, when you scroll to slow the car down, the car doesn't slow very much or at all, it just keeps going until it senses something ahead like a car/light for stopping. This then goes back to the following to close issue.

When at slower speeds, 40mph as an example...it will slow much quicker and act like it cared about your changing the speed. Again, on highway, it slows right down immediately using regen. Only Beta City street is it doing this. I flagged it with the video button several times, hope they figure out what the issue is and note my speed being way below what the car is doing, set speed, and how it is much too close on 7 at 60mph and high speeds. Dangerous.

As soon as it goes off City street onto the highway, it goes back to it painfully slow acceleration and then following a bit far away, but that is primarily due to slow acceleration issue...like 32.22 build of regular AP. But the distance on HWY is pretty sensible on all the ACC settings 7-2. City stack a mess.

Last edited: