Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Tesla should pay beta testers $100 per month. Or maybe $0.02 per mile. It’s hard to have a non-subscription model because I think a lot of beta testers would take the money up front and not actually test. /s
Pay testers $10 pr brake disengagement, $5 pr wheel disengagement and $1 pr speed and stalk intervention!

TeslaMate captured my off-roading in the neighborhood last night

1C056162-9A9B-4ADE-AC1E-F30F9F542FFF.jpeg

Some driving today:

My car turned right onto a freeway entrance ramp that has two lanes going the in same direction. As it was turning, it crossed through the ramp's right lane an chose the left lane instead. Only for a moment though. It appeared to realize that it should've stayed in the right lane and attempted to correct. However, this was an over-correction into the right shoulder which it seemed to mistake for a lane. No other cars were around, but that's when I decided to take over.

Within a busy shopping center parking lot, I was trying to leave one parking area and turn left into a busy parking lot artery leading to the exit. Since no one was waiting behind me, and I wasn't in a hurry, I let it play out for a while. There was so much stopped traffic going left and cross traffic from the left, that a meat computer driver would need to: be assertive with the left turn, accept someone's friendly wave when they leave a space for you in traffic, or just turn right because the long way is just sometimes quicker and easier in this situation. My car moved an inch now and then for possible openings that didn't materialize. There was no sign of it wanting to turn right to avoid that mess, but sometimes the path planning did show it going straight ahead instead of left (which was only marginally better than trying to go left). Eventually, a nice driver waved me in, so I took over and accepted the kind offer since the car was clueless about that.

It'll be nice when the car recognizes gestures made by people directing traffic or by other drivers! As I recall, this is in the pipeline. I wonder if it'll recognize and react to someone flipping the bird! 🤣

Hopefully Tesla is monitoring forums like this one to learn more than just what the driving data provide. Hi Tesla Team! :cool:

There is a high probability of FSD costing a lot more than $10k when it’s actually better.

Just supply and demand - unless Tesla has actual competition.
I believe FSD will definitely cost more than $10k when it improves (and adds additional features), but I'm not sure about "a lot more." I think $10k is getting close to the max of what people will pay for a $50k car. And I think most people who do pay $10k for FSD now are doing so based on the value that they believe FSD will have at some point down the road (as opposed to what FSD in its current form is actually worth at this point in time).

Hypothetically, how much could Tesla charge a prospective M3 owner for the FSD package without seeing a decrease in the FSD take rate for M3s if: a) FSD could be used on city streets and highways with, on average, one disengagement per 100 miles; and, b) it included usable and practical versions of summons and reverse summons. (Also, assume that no other manufacturer is anywhere close to duplicating Tesla's FSD features.) Could Tesla charge $15k or $20k upfront or $350-$400 per month without seeing fewer people buy/subscribe? I don't think so (and that's especially a hard sale when the buyer can't transfer FSD to their next Tesla).

Reactions: impastu
Once Level 5 FSD sees a commercial release, the price of FSD will definitely see upward price support since people can make money by throwing their car into Tesla Fleet service / robo taxi. Will be interesting to see what the market will support. I can see Tesla playing with the pricing -- both up and down to find the sweet spot.

Curious when you see FSD reaching level 5?

I've mentioned along with others the desire for FSD when coming up on a right hand turn to move a bit to the right and point the front of the car in that direction. Makes for a much smoother turn. That is how humans drive. Today FSD points the front perpendicular to the intersecting road and then makes an awkward right hand turn.

I've come to the realization they may be doing this for a very specific reason. Since the B pillar camera is so far from the front of the car
FSD needs the front camera perpendicular so it can see as far down the road in each direction. If you turn slightly right with an obstructed left view the front camera cannot see as far down the road on the left side to see oncoming cars as it should. Of course if the left side's view isn't obstructed it doesn't matter. It will be interesting to see if they improve FSD right hand turns so if the left side has good visibility the car will begin hedging to the right.

So many naysayers. Tesla has an army of the best brains, and mountains of cash.
True, but I don't think it will be this generation of hardware.
Two years tops.
Is this an Elon two years or two orbits of the Earth around the Sun? Because In Elon time... it's been less than a year since 2016.

So many naysayers. Tesla has an army of the best brains, and mountains of cash. Two years tops.
And that’s balanced by the those many wearing rose colored glasses and drinking copious amounts of Koolaid. I first purchased FSF in 2019. Since then, I think the only FSD feature I saw was “Smart Summon (beta)” and that was just a cheap parlor trick. Speaking of beta, most of the FSD features I had in 2019 are still tagged “beta”.

So many naysayers. Tesla has an army of the best brains, and mountains of cash. Two years tops.
Yes they do but they are limited by decisions made years ago on camera location that looks increasingly like the achilles heel of FSD.
A good example is leaving my neighborhood. In order for the B pillar to see if cars are coming from the left the car has to stick out into the road impeding traffic in both directions. I lean as close to the A pillar as possible with my foot over the brake. If I didn't I would already have been in an accident. I'm trying to figure out how the best minds at Tesla and the neural network solve a camera location problem they likely didn't have any input on. That and winter snow and ice will limit FSD. I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:
If this has been mentioned before, I haven't seen it. When making an unprotected left turn at a light which is green without an arrow, I wish FSD would have the car creep forward into the intersection, where it would wait for oncoming cars to stop as the light turns yellow, and then be able to complete the turn as it it turns red. Instead, FSD doesn't even begin to enter the intersection for left on green, unless there is no immediate oncoming traffic. The problem is, when there is a lot of oncoming traffic, you might not have a chance to turn waiting in front of the intersection.