Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep reminding myself that this is beta, that I'm on the edge of technology, that I'll be able to say that I was one of the first testers and see first-hand how the technology evolves.
But Elon keeps convincing us that FSD is right around the corner, so when being granted FSD we expect something that is perhaps unpolished but almost ready for prime time.

Here is one on Reddit. But his experience is different. He said he disengaged and the car was in reverse mode. His post is the reason I checked the mode immediately.
When Reversing is released (probably/maybe V11) it will likely be the first listing in the Release Notes and will likely have a long explanation of how it works since it will be a HUGE change in the car's driving behavior and potentially dangerous and extremely disorienting to the driver.

No way it has been released and not a single word of warning mentioned in the Release Notes when something as fundamentally important to driving :rolleyes: as "Improved VRU [pedestrians and bikers] control relevance attributed by adding navigation route as input to object detection network (accuracy +1.1%)" is noted.:eek:🤣

Last edited:
Some interesting network statistics for 10.6. I did 2 drives yesterday and decided to just use the AP snapshot button liberally. I probably hit the button between 10 and 15 times. Apparently it all got sent over. I had a record 17GB uploaded yesterday via wifi by my Model 3. Maybe the limit of ~5 snapshots conventional wisdom is not valid.
There's reason to believe the limit increased to "10 or 20" clips. See my earlier post referencing an apparent Tesla employee's comments saying as such:
Wiki - MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

I'd be very interested to see an intentional experiment, or at least see folks who can measure data upload quantity start a crowdsourced spreadsheet to share "today I pushed the button x times, and it uploaded y GB of data"

I got my first chance to try FSD 10.6 today, even though we've had the software a while. (House rule here is I only engage when I'm solo.) Three interesting experiences.

1. The first is a visualization oddity. The visualization window didn't use the whole vertical space available, leaving a broad grey band at the bottom. This persisted to my destination. I put it in Park and back in gear--no change. I rebooted and went in the store. When I came back out from this quick stop, the reboot was done, and the visualization problem was still there. Very short drive to the next store, and a longer time shopping. When I came back out, with no further reboot, the display was back to normal. Anyone else seen this?
    View attachment 741795
  2. We came to a stop at an intersection where we would turn right. The light was red, and we were the front car. I wasn't sure whether it would try a right-on-red, so I waited to see. It was nice and clear, but no movement. I figured, "no sweat--they haven't programmed that yet." Then the opposing traffic got a green left arrow, and so two lanes of left turning cars began to head right in front of us. As the first one went by, FSD tried to go. Yikes! That would have been a collision.
  3. A bit later we were on a freeway onramp. When we got down to where we could merge, FSD did this head-snapping slalom S maneuver to get from the merge lane to the first traffic lane. I haven't seen that before. It was such a stark contrast to how smooth a normal freeway lane change is. And there was nothing unusual that required the radical lane change. It had plenty of space to do it gently. I bet it freaked out nearby drivers.
I was able to get past this bug by swiping out the tire presssure display and swiping it away.

Reactions: impastu
When Reversing is released (probably/maybe V11) it will likely be the first listing in the Release Notes and will likely have a long explanation of how it works since it will be a HUGE change in the car's driving behavior and potentially dangerous and extremely disorienting to the driver.

No way it has been released and not a single word of warning mentioned in the Release Notes when something as fundamentally important to driving :rolleyes: as "Improved VRU [pedestrians and bikers] control relevance attributed by adding navigation route as input to object detection network (accuracy +1.1%)" is noted.:eek:🤣
Elon said this feature would be introduced in 10.1 and before 10.3 the release note was just generic FSD beta readme. Also this is not considered a significant feature as “capability of reverse” per Elon’s tweet, he said it would do it only during creeping. But I agree this right now has too few cases to confirm it’s existence. It is either extremely hard to trigger or not implemented yet. Funny in both cases the users (including me) both thought the creeping backward action was unnecessary, so even its true, it is half baked at best.

Last edited:
It's more likely people are accidentally putting the car in reverse by using the stalk to deactivate fsd beta.

I think that's why Tesla requires stepping on the brake to put the car in reverse when fsd beta was recently activated.
This happened to me in 10.2 (I think) and I almost hit the car behind me. Got a good/embarrassing and well deserved honking too.😱

• Funny
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Anyone else see these decorations around?

ea382d1a-4ac6-4f93-98f9-033caed44005_1.5c43d792821687bafc573668bc6d297c.jpeg

I thought it was pretty funny that FSD picked this up as a person on the display. 😆

62E88CB2-3A82-4835-A46A-DDC46DF395B1.jpeg
Curious if other folks have seen this. We have quite a few right turns that have a bike lane where they made it wider and had a dashed line area where you can cross over the bike lane. FSD does not know what to do, it does not even attempt to use the dashed line are and often goes far enough where I have to disengage and take the turn myself

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
Curious if other folks have seen this. We have quite a few right turns that have a bike lane where they made it wider and had a dashed line area where you can cross over the bike lane. FSD does not know what to do, it does not even attempt to use the dashed line are and often goes far enough where I have to disengage and take the turn myself

mine crosses the dashed bike lanes to make the right if there’s a dedicated right turn lane. But this behavior probably isn’t consistent across the USA, depending on the road markings and geometry.

I think fsd beta would be 200% better if the car is able to squeeze for right turns even when there’s no dedicated right turn lane.

We have multiple variations of this here and It does poorly with entering basically all dedicated right turn lanes I have encountered so far

• Informative
Does anyone know if 98’s are still getting the beta? Been at 98 for over a month now, no update.
Your guess is as good as most. I was one of the lucky ones to get 10.6 before the pause. I would think that all people waiting should get 10.6.1 by the end of this weekend. I also wouldn't be surprised if 10.7 comes out the following weekend.
Full disclosure, I did not use the Elon time translator with my statements.... 😄