Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where is the 10.10 .... or will Tesla not release it and wait for 11 to be ready for release ?

May be they won't release a 10.10 if 11 is close, if not, package a few ready parts of 11 to a 10.10 ...

We may have our answer now. Tesla may have been sidetracked by the need to update the next pending FSD beta release to no longer do rolling stops.

“Tesla will disable the “rolling stop” functionality on affected vehicles, starting with firmware release 2021.44.30.15. Firmware release 2021.44.30.15 is expected to begin deployment OTA to affected vehicles in early February 2022.

Last edited:
We may have our answer now. Tesla may have been sidetracked by the need to update the next pending FSD beta release to no longer do rolling stops.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Thats literally a flag reset - but NHTSA can always take up leadership time, which could be a problem.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I get the panicky "TAKE CONTROL IMMEDIATELY" warning with the red wheel all the time now
I most recently saw that when driving towards the sun where maybe FSD Beta lost track of the 2 lead vehicles and/or lane lines. Although it did keep steering fine when I pressed the accelerator without actually taking over steering, so maybe the 10.9 HDR allowed it to stay active for longer but maybe moving object HDR detections isn't happening until FSD Beta 11.

take over sun.jpg

• Informative
I think Tesla made it waaayyy too easy for NHTSA on this one. Yes, you can argue rolling stops are more human-like, thus more "safe" when humans are driving all around an FSD car. NHTSA's hyper-critical stance with anything Tesla made me question their decision to add/keep this driving behavior.

More opportunity for FUD with no or little acknowledgement that Tesla can "fix" it at nearly zero cost with OTA.

v10.10 release notes:
The rolling stop recall was rolled out quickly.
I like the sound of "Improved right of way understanding at intersections"
There were so many junctions where our direction of travel has right of way but FSD comes to a full and complete stop regardless of there being no sign and no traffic. But others where there was a yield and it would blow straight through with no pause and barely a slowdown.

Tesla's "recall" completion is probably unsurpassed in the automotive industry because they're all mostly OTA updates. 😂
I read in another thread that an existing beta tester said he would not update in order to keep rolling stops. Pretty sure that would trigger an enforced "safety update".

8 more reasons $12K is a waste of money. sorry you are having these issues but basically it is what it is. You bought into a half baked "beta" program that isn't even close to being worth $12K.

I am likely to move this discussion (moderator edit: moved), but want to let this sit for a moment and refute your statement. It might be your judgement and evaluation, but it in no way is my opinion. After beta experience, ordered a new vehicle and gladly paid 12K for features compared to the 7 we paid before.

My non tech spouse, who hates all things new and tech, loves and values the features in a manner quite surprising to me.

The bulk of our driving requires no interventions. Most of what I mentioned are things I judge to require refinement, not a safety issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
A most marvelous Xmas gift rolled out to the car, it has been fun to use, clearly is the future. But there have been a number of quirks or issues that keep happening. We try to both report them via the button and also to take the car out of the auto features to hopefully trigger a report to HQ. OK, things we note:

1. A school bus was stopped at RR tracks with red flashing lights, double yellow line. The car started to go around and pass it. PANIC! Would the car pass such a vehicle picking up kids?
2. Railroad tracks, double yellow line. Three cars in front of me, night time, Rail cars visible, they have reflective coatings on them. Screen shows red flashing stop lights (really the RR lights) and tried to go around the stopped car in front of us. I assume it would have eventually stopped for the train, but really not sure.
3. Night. Divided road, two lanes my side. Periodic left turn lanes, the car twice veered towards or into them then back in the lane. Nothing unsafe, but the police could have been justified pulling me over.
4. Speed limits. Unposted side roads. 25mph driving, argh! If this persists to a driverless stage, lots of folks will be upset. Traffic regularly goes 50 +. Might require DOT input to fix a car strictly following the law.
5. Turn signals. A pet peeve of mine ever since taking driving training. The turn signal is a safety item, indicating to the car behind that you will soon slow down and turn. The car seems to slow down first, put a brief turn signal on, then turn. The turn signal should go on FIRST and EARLIER, then slow down.
6. Rate of turns. Speed entry into turns seems high, creates fear that the car will hit lane dividers or cars in opposite lane as it enters the turn. Never does, but OMG the fear and monitoring required. Slower entry into turns desired, or perhaps customize this.
7. Hands on wheel reminders during turns or curves... this seems dangerous. IT is too easy to take the car out of FSD at a key time, then the car that you think is handling things suddenly does not. This could lead to problems when the car stops turning, perhaps even coupled with #8.
8. It seems like sometimes when FSD is disengaged that cruise control remains active. I have not sorted this out yet, but when I take FSD off, I think with the stalk, I want control and do not want the car to run at a fast rate of speed.

That's it for now. Love the product, happy to have it, use it all the time.

Let me know if this could better be tracked or discussed elsewhere.
It's OK, but there are a number of threads already, and part of it is the title. I think that such a list of issues would be well-placed in one of the release-specific threads like "10.9 FSD"*, because the performance issues you list will evolve, and your list may be outdated. Your chosen title "FSD Issues" is very general and doesn't clarify that you're talking about FSD Beta, much less a snapshot as of Jan 2022.
*Even if you don't have the latest 10.9, it's a better title than the completely ambiguous one.

5. Turn signals. ... The turn signal should go on FIRST and EARLIER, then slow down.
Completely agree. And it should react to other turn signals (even though they're not an entirely reliable predictor of subsequent behavior).
6. Rate of turns. Speed entry into turns seems high
This is a common complaint of the latest releases, seemingly an over-correction to the hesitant turns of older versions. Hopefully the Goldilocks turns will be next.

8. It seems like sometimes when FSD is disengaged that cruise control remains active. I have not sorted this out yet, but when I take FSD off, I think with the stalk, I want control and do not want the car to run at a fast rate of speed.
If it's like non-Beta FSD, the stalk disengagement turns off TACC and Autosteer completely, as does the brake pedal. But a steering-override disengagement pops you from Autosteer into TACC, and that can be confusing. Potentially dangerous if it speeds up while you're confused about the mode. One solution is for TACC to stay active but only at or near the speed at the moment of disengagement, not allowing significant acceleration in that condition. See the discussion here.

A most marvelous Xmas gift rolled out to the car, it has been fun to use, clearly is the future. But there have been a number of quirks or issues that keep happening. ....
You post is a little TL;DR and all points have been covered. I will do a couple.

1) Beta has not been trained to recognize school buses or school zones yet.
2) Beta has not been trained to recognize train crossings yet.
4) if no speed limit sign to read it falls back on the downloaded Navigation database that has the speed which may or may not be correct.
5) Signals are improved many times over what there were but still need a LOT of work.
6) This was worse in 10.8 and has been improved and will continue.
8) TACC stays engaged if you use the steering wheel. I DON'T LIKE it myself either and wish it would disengage/full manual control, but you will find that many like TACC to stay engaged.

I don't always get the automated response when I email fsdbeta, but i just noticed another change. In addition to them requesting that we include our Tesla account email or VIN, they now also want us to specify which version we're on. Just a FYI. I assume either the product version (e.g. 10.8.1) or the firmware build number (e.g. 2021.44.xx) would serve the purpose.

When submitting feedback, we ask that you please include the email address associated with your account or VIN and disclose which build you are providing feedback for.

This is interesting to me because it should be trivial to obtain the FSD version from the VIN (or even the email address), but clearly having it specified in the email saves them time. I wonder if this means they can at a glance accept or reject the feedback. If I'm still on 10.8.1 and they don't care about any results from that build due to fundamental software changes that have since occurred, they can quickly discard my feedback and move on to others on a newer build.

Some thoughts on my FSD beta experiences....

I'm one of those who finds reasons to disengage about once per mile. There are a lot of reasons for that. One may be the amount of snow that we have here in Ohio. The roads are clear, but instead of curbs and edge lines, the car sees snow banks. I don't think the NNs have been well trained for this environment.

I think Tesla could learn a lot by recording 2-3 seconds of audio whenever someone uses the wheel or the brake to disengage. (Note that I don't really suggest this because of obvious privacy issues.) They would get comments from me like "What the hell was that for?" or "Slow down, damnit!" or "No, let's not drive into the snow bank".

The Insurance Institute recently posted some guidelines for self-driving cars that would allow an automaker to get its seal of approval (which most automakers want). I don't agree with all of them. For example, even though I drive NOA with lane change confirmation, I don't want that to be a fixed requirement. I think automatic lane changes will be very useful as the software improves - I'm just not ready to trust them yet.

But they also say that the car should let the driver steer when he/she wants to. Don't disengage, just let the driver take precedence over the software. I agree with that completely. I would like it very much if the car would steer for me when I let it, but would defer to me (without disengaging) whenever i took control. In fact, I'd take it one step further - let the car learn my preferences by monitoring my driving style. But we don't seem to be anywhere near the level of intelligence that it would require to accomplish that.

In fact, based on what I've seen so far, I suspect that the current hardware in most of our cars does not have enough computing power to properly handle FSD. FSD seems to look no more than a short distance ahead. It doesn't seem to be doing much planning. It accelerates and brakes somewhat aggressively even in chill mode. It drives quickly up to a line of stopped cars and then hits the brakes hard to stop. It doesn't seem to understand traffic patterns very well. Sometimes it wants to go around cars that are stopped at a red light. It changes lanes away from an upcoming turn even within the last half mile or quarter mile. In general, it is long on tactics and short on strategy.

I agree with those who say FSD may need better cameras to be able to discern the situation at a greater distance. But that also means analyzing a lot more data. And that means faster processors will probably be needed.

I think I understand the difference between those who disengage often and those who can go long distances without it. I recently had a trip where I drove over 100 miles without disengaging. About a third of it was FSD, the rest was NOA on a freeway. The non-freeway part of the drive was on two-lane country roads, mostly 55MPH, but passing through several small towns where there were traffic lights, lower speeds, and more traffic. It handled all of this very well. In fact, I only had one disengagement, and that was in an unusual situation. The car was on a 35MPH road that was marginal to the freeway. There was a fork in the road where the left side was a ramp to the freeway and the right was a 35MPH business district. The car correctly took the right fork, but it set the speed limit as if it were heading onto the freeway. Even when I dialed it down to 35, it stayed around 55 and showed no sign of slowing. I disengaged quickly because I know this area to be a frequent speed trap. But other than that, it took me all the way home.

Yet if I ask it to drive me a few miles to the local supermarket or Costco, it makes mistakes often enough that I need to disengage at almost every turn, and sometimes in between them.

There is one thing I've observed that I haven't seen anyone mention. Sometimes when I am driving on a two lane road in the suburbs, even ones with well-marked lanes, it will simply refuse to engage FSD when I double click the stalk. Prior to the click, it will be showing me the FSD visualization, but when I try to engage FSD it will drop back to the old-style visualization and put me in AP instead. I have not figured out why this happens. If I try it again on the same road a short time later, it may work correctly.

Another thing I noticed is how the car responds to cross-traffic approaching from the right. Whenever there is a car in a position to enter the road from the right, whether it is moving toward the intersection or stopped at the corner waiting to turn, FSD will slow down apparently out of caution. This would not be a bad tactic - except that it consistently does it about 50 feet PAST the intersection. It reacts too late to matter. This may be another example of simply not being able to analyze situations quickly enough.

I'm on 10.8.1 now, hoping to be in the first batch of 10.10s when they start rolling out to non-employees. 10.10 will probably make some small improvements. Maybe version 11 will take some big steps forward. Maybe it will take some big steps backward first. I don't think we will have a trustworthy FSD for quite a long time.

Last edited: