Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matrix headlights - finally???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They've been on the new MS or a while so shifting to the MX may just be a general parts bin thing or the sign of something more interesting.

My hunch is that once the FSD spacial engine is rolled out to all cars (if you take the view that AP -> EAP -> FSD is just the enabling of extra features rather than different code), then all cars should know where all the hazrds, people, other cars, whats parked and whats moving etc are around them, and therefore a matrix headlight system should be relatively trivial to implement. The hard part once you have a matrix capable headlight is knowing what to illuminate and what not to, and the engine should tell them that.

The second challenge is for Tesla to put theory into practice with all the various variables such as headlight calibration in both horizontal and vertical axis, and making them appear cross eyed when you press the fart button.

• Funny
Reactions: H43lio
3. Tesla don’t give a crap because active headlights aren’t allowed by law in the US yet and they’re stupidly myopic
I’m fairly sure they changed the law in the US a few months back and they are now legal? This would explain why they haven’t bothered up until now, however now that it is legal on their home turf they may eventually bother with it. Maybe.

Reactions: M1tch
I’m now imagining how badly the car sometimes thinks trucks are jumping into your lane when they’re two lanes over, and that same computer controlling the lights. It’d be like a Jean Michel Jarre laser show!
The "jumping lorry" scenario is due to processing the image from the indicator camera and placing the lorry, then processing the image from the door pillar camera and placing the lorry in a different position.
The promised tesla vision (now renamed as that's used elsewhere) will process all camera feeds and build an holistic view of the surroundings (the occupancy network) which will then allow the planner to work moves etc out.

Promised for 15 months ago, starting to roll out in NA under FSDb

The leds in headlights appear to be the Samsung PixCell Leds which I believe are used in the Polestar. I don't think the camera resolution is important at a quess I would say. 1MP is good enough! The Tesla lenses are interesting, not seen a mottled pattern before.

Reactions: goRt
Sorry, I now realise this has all been written before on this forum!! So who will retrofit the Polestar camera setup first....Out of interest are any owners distracted by the blocky lighting from these leds. I drive a lot during the dark hours. I drive around counting the squares 😊

Well the UK Model S certainly won’t be having matrix, or indeed any, headlights.

Attachments

• 8F35CBE2-F827-4B92-8141-79E4DF0B5F6E.jpeg
    8F35CBE2-F827-4B92-8141-79E4DF0B5F6E.jpeg
    438.7 KB · Views: 118
  • Funny
Reactions: H43lio
Sure it makes sense with the heated wheels and rear seats. But aren't the lights all different shapes per model, so they'd have to do some tooling and production setup to produce a Model X matrix headlight, even if it can share internal components with other models. Then those internal components are more expensive than the existing projectors/reflectors. I just struggle to see how setting up for and making Model X matrix headlights could be a cost saving compared to just continuing with the current lights, if they never plan to use the matrix tech. But I'm not the Tesla accountant!

Also, if it's really happening, I doubt it'll be that soon anyway. From what I read on the US side, the recent 'approval' of active/matrix headlights, which would presumably be the catalyst for them actually wanting to bother with them, was only really approval to start writing some technical regulations for how they would be implemented. So still not likely to be actually in operation anytime soon.
The current 'matrix' headlights are something that Tesla even bothered to patent

The point is being able to use the same headlight for cars in all regions around the world with only software changes to the beam pattern, without this you would need different lens to meet country regulation, LHD/RHD but also some countries have beam pattern regulations.

Given S and X are now starting to reach other countries, it's clearly something that Tesla needed to address. I don't understand why they didn't do it from the start of the new X, but I guess there was some logical reason.

I don't see how this update really makes any suggestion that they will deliver 'active matrix' functionality, just wishful thinking. I would suggest the question to ask would be would active matrix be beneficial to FSD, and I'm not sure that it would really. Do we know what the range is of the occupancy network, probably isn't far enough for an active matrix set up.

Reactions: Durzel and goRt
Do they? Since when? Is this from a recent update?
(Haven’t even bothered trying mine for ages, they’ve been so crap…)
Mine work well. Apart from coming on in well lit urban streets. They do respond as expected to incoming cars and pretty quickly too in my experience.

Just frustrating they are on full when driving round my local town dazzling pedestrians.

Mine work well. Apart from coming on in well lit urban streets. They do respond as expected to incoming cars and pretty quickly too in my experience.

Just frustrating they are on full when driving round my local town dazzling pedestrians.
I find this in towns as well, so I push the left hand stalk forward and it turns off the auto high beam and stays on dipped beam until I push the stalk again. I do this whenever I am going into urban areas.

Anyone seen the current model X with the matrix headlights?
Anyway to see from the VIN to see if the new lights are installed?
Or a certain build date?
You won't be able to tell from the VIN if its like most other hardware bits. The sequence number at the end might help tell you when it was built if you can;t see it any other way.

I think in the Model X area of the site there's talk about it now rolling out, but if you're looking at UK inventory cars, they're usually built a few months ago because of shipping times.