Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matrix headlights - finally???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to two different tesla stores in the last few days. About 1/2 the MX had matrix and the other 1/2 didn’t. The factory might have changed over sometime in July but that’s just a guess. At least some if not most of the discounted inventory may not have matrix.

It was one of the LHD sell off in June, the retrofit is under warranty
Wow, interesting. I wonder where they do the cutoff, I could imagine that opening quite a demand among recent X owners and would be connected to quite high costs on Tesla's side without a really good reason from their perspective. They would just throw away perfectly good Led lights?

Would be great if another recent model x owner could confirm this. That would open options.

Wow, interesting. I wonder where they do the cutoff, I could imagine that opening quite a demand among recent X owners and would be connected to quite high costs on Tesla's side without a really good reason from their perspective. They would just throw away perfectly good Led lights?

Would be great if another recent model x owner could confirm this. That would open options.
The lights are relatively cheap and there's a tiny number sold in the UK

Reactions: Durzel
That's interesting, would be great to have confirmation of that as it's been thought that this would not be possible. Any idea when that MXP was built (or when he took delivery) and what the retrofit will cost?
Changing headlight type is a config option. I’ve been told it can be done without needing too elevated a privilege.

In any event if there’s sufficient motivation - e.g. the potential return of a £100k+ car that aren’t selling in great numbers - then Tesla will find a way to facilitate it.

Report by Drive Tesla that Matrix headlights are finally on their way, but sadly only for Highland cars at this stage.

We can only hope that this is extended in due course to all cars equipped with matrix capable hardware.
Earlier cars have matrix headlights but may not have the necessary hardware necessary to direct the pattern. Yes they have a front facing camera, which is how it is usually done. But is it suitable?( not that that ever stopped Tesla before, see windscreen wipers).

Earlier cars have matrix headlights but may not have the necessary hardware necessary to direct the pattern. Yes they have a front facing camera, which is how it is usually done. But is it suitable?( not that that ever stopped Tesla before, see windscreen wipers).
Agreed. That could well be the case and even if the hardware is present, Tesla may not see the financial benefit in devoting the time and resources to virtually retrofitting legacy vehicles.

I think this is exactly how all other OEM’s do it. The camera picks out the tail lights and headlights, then blanks out a box around them. They already detect the lights as they turn the high beams on and off automatically.

Reactions: RabidYak