Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matrix headlights - finally???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can’t remember the others I’m afraid or I’d share links. This video is comparable to shutting your eyes, turning a torch on and seeing how bright it is. 🤯

Being that this is a very recent event/updater they shouldn't be that hard to find. I watched it and could see the subtle differences at times, some more pronounced than others. I just cant work out what you are trying to prove here since there lots of positive comment on the video with some saying its the best so far 🤷‍♂️

Being that this is a very recent event/updater they shouldn't be that hard to find. I watched it and could see the subtle differences at times, some more pronounced than others. I just cant work out what you are trying to prove here since there lots of positive comment on the video with some saying its the best so far 🤷‍♂️
I don’t think he’s trying to prove anything. He’s not disparaging the matrix lights, just pointing out that that video is decidedly underwhelming. Which it is 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: GeorgeSymonds
He repeatedly points out in the video that it doesn't translate well to screen and that they're going to try again with a better camera to be fair. Haters going to hate though
A 21 min video telling us you can’t really tell deserves all the criticism it gets

“Haters going to hate” is the classic response from people who can’t offer a better defence.

Let’s hope the lights are actually better than the video.

A 21 min video telling us you can’t really tell deserves all the criticism it gets

“Haters going to hate” is the classic response from people who can’t offer a better defence.

Devil’s Advocate but one could make an argument that the motivation for putting this video out and the format of it is less to do with doing an authoritative, deep dive into the efficacy of the matrix lights update, and more to do with YouTube monetisation.

On the one hand the fact its taken 3 years for any sign of matrix technology to make it to Teslas after the lights started being fitted is ridiculous, but on the other hand it looks like it’s finally coming, and is a free update, so I’m finding it hard to be pessimistic. Will it be as good as the likes of Audi, Polestar, etc whose systems are several generations evolved? No. Will it probably be better than it was before the update? Yup.

Will it be as good as the likes of Audi, Polestar, etc whose systems are several generations evolved? No. Will it probably be better than it was before the update? Yup.
The irony is, he's got loads of cars at his disposal so he could have filmed the car on the route without active matrix, the Highland with it and then an Audi or BMW or anything he has available with a different adaptive solution and compared them. It would have taken a bit of planning, but would have been authorative. I hate to think how long he can make the video if he gets around to actually doing that.

This video smacks of nothing but an attempt to cash in.

I'm not defending him, just trying to offer some balance. I enjoyed the video and thought that he offered a well balanced conclusion on the performance of the lights. It sounds like you have some good ideas about making YouTube content, why don't you give it a go?

Devil’s Advocate but one could make an argument that the motivation for putting this video out and the format of it is less to do with doing an authoritative, deep dive into the efficacy of the matrix lights update, and more to do with YouTube monetisation.

On the one hand the fact its taken 3 years for any sign of matrix technology to make it to Teslas after the lights started being fitted is ridiculous, but on the other hand it looks like it’s finally coming, and is a free update, so I’m finding it hard to be pessimistic. Will it be as good as the likes of Audi, Polestar, etc whose systems are several generations evolved? No. Will it probably be better than it was before the update? Yup.
Do we know what system Tesla went for with their matrix lights, is it in house or did they buy in from an established supplier?

So being such a hater George :rolleyes:
I’ve explained why it’s a terrible, I’ve offered an explanation as to their motivation, and I’m not the only one who’s suggested that, if that makes us all haters it’s a title I’ll happily live with although it’s not the definition I’d use.

You yourself suggested they should have waited until they had more time to do it properly

I’ve explained why it’s a terrible, I’ve offered an explanation as to their motivation, and I’m not the only one who’s suggested that, if that makes us all haters it’s a title I’ll happily live with although it’s not the definition I’d use.

You yourself suggested they should have waited until they had more time to do it properly
Ooof, wasn’t expecting that. Thought the emoji at the end would have shown I was being sarcastic

The software controlling them will be as the only sensors available are part of AP. I’d expect the headlight units to be as well or at most in partnership, but the adaptive element will be Tesla
With some googling, I have seen reference to Tesla using Samsung Pixcell ADB but can't say its definite proof thats what they are using, Unless someone knows of a teardown video on YouTube? Pixcell looks to have been announced in 2021 by Samsung.