Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matrix Headlights on LR Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys. Are the Model Y Performance are the only ones that guarantee the Matrix lights? I hate the look of reflector headlights. I don’t see why that should be in a 60k+ car
Ordering a 7 seater can also guarantee it too, since those are only assembled in Fremont.

As for reflectors…. Have you actually seen the Matrix headlight? There’s a projector on the outer side, but two reflectors on the inner side. Those two are even bigger than the ones on the non-Matrix lights as the two have a lot more room than the 5 or 6 in the non-Matrix lights. Personally, I like the looks of the non-Matrix lights more, since it’s more uniform across.

Do we know if Mega Berlin made 2023 MY LR will have Matrix or not.

Is the Matrix function enabled on Matrix equipped cars ?

If not, do we expect there to be an upgrade to make the matrix headlights do actual "matrix headlight dimming" in the future ?

Any idea if enabling the matrix functionality (If not already enabled) will be a paid upgrade ?

Reactions: jr_gn
Do we know if Mega Berlin made 2023 MY LR will have Matrix or not.

Is the Matrix function enabled on Matrix equipped cars ?

If not, do we expect there to be an upgrade to make the matrix headlights do actual "matrix headlight dimming" in the future ?

Any idea if enabling the matrix functionality (If not already enabled) will be a paid upgrade ?
Matrix HL are officially called Global HL in Tesla part catalog. Outside of North America, all MY have these Global HL. However, I have not seen full function Matrix HL on the MY or M3 for any market.

Matrix HL are officially called Global HL in Tesla part catalog. Outside of North America, all MY have these Global HL. However, I have not seen full function Matrix HL on the MY or M3 for any market.
But is this Matrix function (turning off individual LED's to not blind oncoming traffic, while effectively having high beam in your own lane of travel) at all implemented in any Tesla's.

I was under the impression that right now even Matrix headlamps works like ordinary non-matrix LED lamps ? (All LED's high or low beam)

But is this Matrix function (turning off individual LED's to not blind oncoming traffic, while effectively having high beam in your own lane of travel) at all implemented in any Tesla's.

I was under the impression that right now even Matrix headlamps works like ordinary non-matrix LED lamps ? (All LED's high or low beam)
That's what I mean. They function like normal LED projector HL. They are good and bright but no "smart" feature like some European car makers.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
That's what I mean. They function like normal LED projector HL. They are good and bright but no "smart" feature like some European car makers.
But we hope / expect that some day, there will be a software update that brings the Matrix function to life right?

Has Tesla said anything about this or hinted that they were working on this ?

Probably going to be a paid upgrade, like the performance boost though :(

But we hope / expect that some day, there will be a software update that brings the Matrix function to life right?

Has Tesla said anything about this or hinted that they were working on this ?

Probably going to be a paid upgrade, like the performance boost though :(
Nope, don't think Tesla has ever mentioned a planned software update. It's completely legal and has been available on several other cars for years in Europe but even there Tesla hasn't done anything special with Matrix headlights.

Nope, don't think Tesla has ever mentioned a planned software update. It's completely legal and has been available on several other cars for years in Europe but even there Tesla hasn't done anything special with Matrix headlights.
Matrix lights are technically legal in the US as of recently, however the NHTSA has not released the standards to allow manufacturers to actually be approved and enable their matrix/adaptive lighting systems. It's likely that Tesla will prioritize this once the US releases guidances which will then be enabled where legal in the world over time.

If you'd like to learn more, here is a great primer: Adaptive 'high-definition' headlights are just around the corner for American drivers | Engadget

Let us know...someone was told they are switching back to non-matrix and if that is true it would probably be in the 68XXXX or 69XXXX Vins as I know al the 66 and 67XXXX series seem to still have matrix.
I picked up my MYLR with **PF684*** 2 weeks ago, and it came with Matrix headlights. With lots of night-driving the "light curtain" you're looking at makes it easy on the eyes...until you have oncoming traffic ;o) then you're back to squinting...

Reactions: arbitrage000
Yeah i live in Europa and this is a feature a lot of new "luxury" cars have, and they work great, so it is really strange they dont just enable it.

But again....I bet they are going to do it as a paid upgrade through the app.

I’m taking delivery of a Fremont-built Model Y LR AWD in a week or two and my SA says it will have the Matrix headlights. Not sure if I believe them but it would be a nice surprise. Also said it comes with the cargo cover, front mud flaps, and the rear fender PPF.

Reactions: cdub