Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matrix Headlights on LR Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone who have matrix head lights, what does it say on windows sticker under ‘Exterior Lights’
TIA
Anyone who have matrix head lights, what does it say on windows sticker under ‘Exterior Lights’
TIA
My MYLR delivered 3rd week of Dec was a Fremont build (VIN PF624***) and came with matrix headlights. Window sticker says 'Full LED Lights" under 'Exterior Lights'

Reactions: scSeattle
I'm kind of torn. Austin build doesn't have matrix headlights but does have giga-press one piece front casting that is lighter, stiffer and have better NVH.
only the MY-AWD has both the front and rear megacasts....and also the 4680 structural battery pack.
the MYLR has only the rear megacast and uses 2170 batteries.
Austin makes both the AWD and the LR variants of the MY. Fremont makes only the LR.

Both are very good cars. the AWD chassis is arguably better than the LR chassis.
whether that chassis is worth the range and price trade-offs is up to the buyer.

Reactions: GoodKarma
I'm kind of torn. Austin build doesn't have matrix headlights but does have giga-press one piece front casting that is lighter, stiffer and have better NVH.
Seems you can drive a non-one piece casting off a giant cliff and survive, so I’d take the better tech with future upside at this point. Obviously any of us would like to have all the new stuff but the one piece casting will benefit tesla a lot in term of manufacturing and benefit the consumer only a small amount in realized value/benefit outside of cost savings IMO

• Disagree
Reactions: hmadsen
only the MY-AWD has both the front and rear megacasts....and also the 4680 structural battery pack.
the MYLR has only the rear megacast and uses 2170 batteries.
Austin makes both the AWD and the LR variants of the MY. Fremont makes only the LR.

Both are very good cars. the AWD chassis is arguably better than the LR chassis.
whether that chassis is worth the range and price trade-offs is up to the buyer.

So what about the performance? What kind of chassis does it have?

First post here. I got my VIN# for 7 seater MYLR, estimated delivery February 4 - 12. Spoke to service advisor who confirmed it has "global" lights, which I was told are the Matrix headlights. Fremont build, VIN **PF661***. The SA also said that the Fremont builds are coming with Matrix now.

Seems you can drive a non-one piece casting off a giant cliff and survive, so I’d take the better tech with future upside at this point. Obviously any of us would like to have all the new stuff but the one piece casting will benefit tesla a lot in term of manufacturing and benefit the consumer only a small amount in realized value/benefit outside of cost savings IMO
there's no weight saving to speak of either. IIRC 75lbs.
but the AWD chassis is structurally superior and dimensionally more consistent, so the body panels should be better aligned.
having said that, both Austin and Fremont are delivering very good cars.

Reactions: WyoDude
Let us know...someone was told they are switching back to non-matrix and if that is true it would probably be in the 68XXXX or 69XXXX Vins as I know al the 66 and 67XXXX series seem to still have matrix.
OMG, I really want Matrix..............you mean Fremont is switching back to non-matrix? I thought my MYLR is just produced last week since my vin assigned three days ago.

"According to information relayed to employees, Tesla does not know exactly when they will have enough supply but they are currently expecting to revert back to the old headlights sometime in October" this information was released since August 2022 :)

OMG, I really want Matrix..............you mean Fremont is switching back to non-matrix? I thought my MYLR is just produced last week since my vin assigned three days ago.
We still don't know. One person on here was told that. But so far I have't read any reports of cars not having matrix from Fremont in 2023. Right now mostly 66 and 67 VINS seem to be delivering and they still have matrix. It will be the next few VIN series where we shall find out if what that guy was told is correct or not.

Tesla has gone back and forth many times with matrix on LR. So don't be surprised if they go back to non-matrix (premium) again.
Between (I think) July and end of Sept they were using matrix and even made an announcement that it would be temporary until~ October when supply of the non-matrix was back. My car was built Oct 14th....no matrix....then sometime in November some cars had matrix, some didn't...then into Dec and now 2023 seems all had matrix.